Weight lifting...suggestions?

Options
So, I haven't lifted seriously since college (late 90's early 2000's). Back then I didn't have to think too much about what to do--a coach would yell at me and I would do whatever he said. :) The result is that I never really learned how to develop a good weight lifting plan or understand which lifts had what effect on my body, etc. Of course, I'm no dummy and can make basic assumptions about what lifts do...but what I'm saying is that I never learned the science of weight lifting.

Anyway, I started doing those Jillian Michaels DVDs a while ago and I really liked how it expanded my knowledge re: cardio, etc. Is there a resource out there that you've used that has a format similar to Jillian-type DVDs but that is devoted to strength/weight training? I'd sure like something that'd give me some basic instruction re: weight training such that I can develop something that'll be effective and efficient and that works for me so that I don't waste time when I go to the gym.

Ideas? Thoughts? Rants? Non-sequitur comments? Random GIFs?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Start with reading Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength.

Then, do Stronglifts or Starting Strength.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

This x10.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

This. or one of the New Rules of Lifting books
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The Body Sculpting Bible is great. They have one for men and one for women as well as an 'express'where you combine moves with free weights. The regular version gives you both hand weights AND their machine equivalents for workouts.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Just ran across this in another forum. Posting it here so I can find it (and read it) when I get home: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Just ran across this in another forum. Posting it here so I can find it (and read it) when I get home: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

That is very similar to what I did this morning. ....for cardio. If you don't have access to a gym it's worth something, but don't mistake it for a heavy lifting program
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    I worked with a trainer for a while and had the same issues when I moved and had to go the weight room alone. It wasn't so much what to do, it was the how often and in what order I had trouble with. I read a few books, basically they said work the muscles big to small, focus on upper body in one session, lower body in the next, and do ab work every session. I found an app (fitness buddy) that followed that plan, so I pretty much do the workouts listed in that plan now.
  • Loftearmen
    Options

And again, ^ THIS. don't waste your time doing anything else. This is where everyone needs to start regardless of their long term goals.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    The Body Sculpting Bible is great. They have one for men and one for women as well as an 'express'where you combine moves with free weights. The regular version gives you both hand weights AND their machine equivalents for workouts.

There is no such thing as a machine equivalent of a free weight lifting program.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yup, Starting Strength. Required reading for anyone starting lifting.

Squat, deadlift, bench, press, and row. Enjoy.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    So, I haven't lifted seriously since college (late 90's early 2000's). Back then I didn't have to think too much about what to do--a coach would yell at me and I would do whatever he said. :) The result is that I never really learned how to develop a good weight lifting plan or understand which lifts had what effect on my body, etc. Of course, I'm no dummy and can make basic assumptions about what lifts do...but what I'm saying is that I never learned the science of weight lifting.

Anyway, I started doing those Jillian Michaels DVDs a while ago and I really liked how it expanded my knowledge re: cardio, etc. Is there a resource out there that you've used that has a format similar to Jillian-type DVDs but that is devoted to strength/weight training? I'd sure like something that'd give me some basic instruction re: weight training such that I can develop something that'll be effective and efficient and that works for me so that I don't waste time when I go to the gym.

Well since someone already mentioned Starting Strength and StrongLifts I've got nothing to add on that front. So here's a random gif. :)

2j6.jpg
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

I love lifting. So much. It's such a pain in the a** and so exhilerating all at once.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I love lifting. So much. It's such a pain in the a** and so exhilerating all at once.

Deadlifts, man. Make me feel like I'm going to die. Then I feel like the Hulk after the last rep.
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Well since someone already mentioned Starting Strength and StrongLifts I've got nothing to add on that front. So here's a random gif. :)

2j6.jpg

Stealing this.