1 Long Walk (or Run) or Many Short Walks (or Runs)?

snookeroo
snookeroo Posts: 2,008 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Is it more beneficial to do one long walk or run or many walks or runs in a day?
Or does it come out all the same?
I mean, what if you did an hour walk or you broke it up to four 15 minute walks through out the day?
Same thing? Just curious.

Replies

• hdelamore
    hdelamore Posts: 206 Member
    it depends really
    i'd say many short runs is more beneficial than one long
    as in the short ones you'll burn more calories as your heart rate goes up quickly
    with walking though i'd say it doesn't make a difference
  • afyfe
    afyfe Posts: 93
    This is solely my take, I am not a trained professional :). You are going to burn the same amount of calories, but if it is broken up, you keep your metabolism burning throughout the day. You continue burning after you stop exercising, so you'll have more carryover burn if you break it up.
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    I only have time for one!!! So it is a run for a long amount of time. I think whatever you can get in is going to be the most beneficial!!!:drinker:
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    It also depends on WHY you are running - I do at least one long run (over an hour) because I'm trying to increase my endurance for half-marathons. Short runs get me the speed and exercise my feet and heart but going for an hour straight is an endurance challenge.
  • snookeroo
    snookeroo Posts: 2,008 Member
    It also depends on WHY you are running - I do at least one long run (over an hour) because I'm trying to increase my endurance for half-marathons. Short runs get me the speed and exercise my feet and heart but going for an hour straight is an endurance challenge.

I'm trying to drop some pounds.
    My first month on here, I lost 11 pounds with ease. Now it seems to have come to a stand still. I'm not losing (but I'm not gaining either). At the end of the day, I am always under my calorie goal with perhaps 300-700 to spare. I average about a 4-5 mile brisk walk a day, at 4 mph pace. This morning I managed about 7 miles.

I want to lose my gut!
  • SwissTracey
    SwissTracey Posts: 34 Member
    I would say make sure you eat your allotted cal's and drink your water. Also look at where your cals are coming from make sure that you're not over on carbs or fat or anything like that. Sounds like you are exercising well and you were losing fast, also check your measurements sometimes its not only the number on the scale, you might be dropping inches.
This discussion has been closed.