What are the benefits of Gluten Free?

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    lol ok. i apologize if attempting a gluten free diet to combat my chronic inflammation constitutes "scaremongering"

I hear aspirin helps. But you're probably sensitive to that too :P It works for me.

yeahhhh you should stop. you have no idea the issues I'm dealing with. the inflammation in my larynx/sinuses, and the hoarseness it causes has not only derailed my career and relationship, but has made my day to day living a giant pain in the *kitten* for more than a year. I can't go to bars/restaurants because it's difficult to speak over the noise. I can't hold conversations for longer than a few minutes without my voice getting tired.

steroids do nothing. reflux meds do nothing. nsaids and painkillers do nothing.

please don't joke about the conditions others may be dealing with that you have ABSOLUTELY no knowledge of. get over yourself.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this, but is the diet actually helping if its still going on? Reflux meds?

Actually, I do know some things about that, having a relative with GERD. And the joke about aspirin isn't all that much of a joke... some people cannot take salicylates due to allergy or sensitivity. But as I don't have one, I find it to be extremely useful to keep down the inflammation in my veins.

just started this yesterday, so have no way of knowing whether it's helping yet. will definitely update if so, or if it has no effect - either way.
  • theryan244
    theryan244 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Most people have at least some minor sensitivity to gluten. Whether or not you've noticed it has to do with how significant your sensitivity is. Some people tolerate it perfectly, some people absolutely can't tolerate it, and everyone else falls somewhere in between.

The reality is that the quality of wheat that goes into our system today is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than it was 50 years ago. We've genetically modified it to be heartier, and thus our bodies have a difficult time digesting it. The prevalence of Celiac disease is 400% higher today than it was 50 years ago. Some of that has to do with better detection, and some of it has to do with the crappy overly processed, modified wheat we now ingest.

Gluten-free isn't a fad. It literally can change people's lives for the better. I'm experimenting with it right now because I've been dealing with chronic larynx and sinus inflammation, and it seems like it could be related to some sort of sensitivity, so gluten is the first thing I'm testing.

I've seen it help a ton of people - a couple major league baseball players adopted it this off-season and are touting their improved energy.

Adkins is a fad (ie: it works but makes you sicker in many other ways)

Gluten free isn't a fad. It's a necessity for many people

GF isn't a fad? Tell that to the thousands, if not millions of perfectly gluten tolerant people hoping on GF because they heard from ****ing Dr. Oz or some other wack job/idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about that gluten makes you unhealthy and fat. How can one not acknowledge the fad-style, "cultish" embrace of GF?... If this is not obvious, I acknowledge it is necessary for those who are gluten intolerant to not consume gluten.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Most people have at least some minor sensitivity to gluten. Whether or not you've noticed it has to do with how significant your sensitivity is. Some people tolerate it perfectly, some people absolutely can't tolerate it, and everyone else falls somewhere in between.

The reality is that the quality of wheat that goes into our system today is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than it was 50 years ago. We've genetically modified it to be heartier, and thus our bodies have a difficult time digesting it. The prevalence of Celiac disease is 400% higher today than it was 50 years ago. Some of that has to do with better detection, and some of it has to do with the crappy overly processed, modified wheat we now ingest.

Gluten-free isn't a fad. It literally can change people's lives for the better. I'm experimenting with it right now because I've been dealing with chronic larynx and sinus inflammation, and it seems like it could be related to some sort of sensitivity, so gluten is the first thing I'm testing.

I've seen it help a ton of people - a couple major league baseball players adopted it this off-season and are touting their improved energy.

GF isn't a fad? Tell that to the thousands, if not millions of perfectly gluten tolerant people hoping on GF because they heard from ****ing Dr. Oz or some other wack job/idiot who doesn't know what they're talking about that gluten makes you unhealthy and fat. How can one not acknowledge the fad-style, "cultish" embrace of GF?... If this is not obvious, I acknowledge it is necessary for those who are gluten intolerant to not consume gluten.

the argument that you're ignoring, is that the majority of people DO have some sort of sensitivity to gluten, but unless you have full blown celiac, you may not realize it.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options

the argument that you're ignoring, is that the majority of people DO have some sort of sensitivity to gluten, but unless you have full blown celiac, you may not realize it.

I don't understand why you keep arguing the same point sover and over again. You're not going to magically convince anyone that what you're saying is gospel, and the people who agree with you, well...already agree with you. Also:

no1curr.gif
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I don't understand why you keep arguing the same point sover and over again. You're not going to magically convince anyone that what you're saying is gospel, and the people who agree with you, well...already agree with you. Also:

no1curr.gif

lol I didn't say my view is gospel. hell I don't even know if it's true - i simply presented it as the argument that many researchers are now making, and why GF is gaining popularity.

is Paleo a fad? Is cross-fit a fad? is Veganism a fad? Vegetarianism? GF is no different from any of these, for those who aren't Celiac. It's simply a different dietary lifestyle for some, while a medical necessity for others.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of diseases and disorders that can benefit from you going gluten free. It's not just Celiacs. Crohn's is another biggie, a lot of people are actually intolerant of gluten. People with Hashimotos disease can benefit from gluten free as well. I'm sure there are more. It's not just a fad for a lot of people. I used to think like you, now my husband is intolerant of gluten, I have hypothyroidism, so we're going to try going gluten free to see if it helps us.
  • zstarliper
    zstarliper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think your effort in coming up with a response was well worth it, even if the intended person did not agree. Keep on doing what you do there are many others who benefit.
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options

no1curr.gif

lol I didn't say my view is gospel. hell I don't even know if it's true - i simply presented it as the argument that many researchers are now making, and why GF is gaining popularity.

is Paleo a fad? Is cross-fit a fad? is Veganism a fad? Vegetarianism? GF is no different from any of these, for those who aren't Celiac. It's simply a different dietary lifestyle for some, while a medical necessity for others.

Yes, those are all, or have been, fads. I really don't think you're understanding what people are saying when they say fad, either.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    lol ok. i apologize if attempting a gluten free diet to combat my chronic inflammation constitutes "scaremongering"

I hear aspirin helps. But you're probably sensitive to that too :P It works for me.

Celiac however starts with gut permeability, and some people have this problem more than others (even non-celiacs). It's not the grain that causes this increase in gut permeability, its bad luck of the genetic dice. It is useful to find out if you even have this issue before self-treating. And as I have repeatedly said, non-celiacs can make gluten containing foods less inflammatory through fermentation, and continue to eat them safely.
    fermented bread?:smile:
    Sorry, I'd rather just not eat them (or take aspirin on a regular basis)

I have cardiovascular issues which aspirin is the cheapest way to treat. I suppose I could be making willow bark infusions but I find the pills easier to swallow :P (and if gluten free diet actually worked for this, why would I be taking aspirin?... I have celiac disease, OF COURSE I eat a GF diet, heh)

fermented bread, I guess you've never heard of sourdoughs. Sourdough is the traditional bread making process. In Europe where rye bread is more normal than here, sourdough is how just about all of it is made.

If you don't eat them, fine. But claiming they are bad for everyone is not true.
    Oh yes, sourdough, My belly hates it. I'd rather just not eat it as much as possible.

I don't think I said gluten was bad for everyone. If something in my post led you to that conclusion, mea culpa. I DO think standard wheat/gluten production has changed.

ps: I'd bet most commercially available sourdough isn't fermented, per se.

Does this discourse style work for you in your daily life?
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

Actually, I get on pretty well in my daily life with people. I work with people constantly. Is this how you approach people who disagree with your viewpoint? By personally attacking them rather than the content of what they say? Pretty sure that wouldn't work for me at my job.

Thanks for your concern, though.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Actually, I get on pretty well in my daily life with people. I work with people constantly. Is this how you approach people who disagree with your viewpoint? By personally attacking them rather than the content of what they say? Pretty sure that wouldn't work for me at my job.

I read a thread where you belittled everyone with your discourse style, your flouting of pragmatic maxims, and where you disagreed with things folks (me, for example) hadn't actually said. But hey, if it works for you. Have at it. Did we actually disagree by the way? I haven't seen any evidence that we did.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I read a thread where you belittled everyone with your discourse style, your flouting of pragmatic maxims, and where you disagreed with things folks (me, for example) hadn't actually said. But hey, if it works for you. Have at it. Did we actually disagree by the way? I haven't seen any evidence that we did.

she just likes arguing for arguing's sake while standing on a mountain top looking down at all the "misinformed" peons. (see earlier in this thread)
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, you don't need to go gluten free unless you have a sensitivity or allergy to it.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't have Celiac, but I have a sensitivity. The benefit of gluten free is not having IBS symptoms anymore. The drawback is that your food choices are limited. I wouldn't do it if it didn't make me feel better.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I don't have Celiac, but I have a sensitivity. The benefit of gluten free is not having IBS symptoms anymore. The drawback is that your food choices are limited. I wouldn't do it if it didn't make me feel better.
    That's kinda how I feel about it. I limit my breads and pastas because my belly feels better.
    I know when I do eat it, I'll pay for it for 1-3 days.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options

You are reading things into what I say that aren't actually there. Belittled? No... CoachReddy wasn't belittled in this thread. He's more than capable of tossing out the sarcasm when it suits him.

However, how you got flouting maxims when I disagreed with someone over aspirin is kinda interesting. I think I will stick to my physician's advice over the forum naturopaths here regarding aspirin.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1114238
    CONCLUSIONS
    Aspirin reduced the risk of recurrence when given to patients with unprovoked venous thromboembolism who had discontinued anticoagulant treatment, with no apparent increase in the risk of major bleeding. (Funded by the University of Perugia and others; WARFASA ClinicalTrials.gov number, NCT00222677.)

Also, all bread is fermented to some extent... but I am specifically referring to Lactobacillus in sourdoughs, and not specifically to commercially bought bread. There is a lot of studies on it, in regards to reducing gluten content in foods naturally and making it more bioavailable. Now I gotta go to RL... enjoy your forum food fight.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You are reading things into what I say that aren't actually there. Belittled? No... CoachReddy wasn't belittled in this thread. He's more than capable of tossing out the sarcasm when it suits him.

However, how you got flouting maxims when I disagreed with someone over aspirin is kinda interesting. I think I will stick to my physician's advice over the forum naturopaths here regarding aspirin.

Also, all bread is fermented to some extent... but I am specifically referring to Lactobacillus in sourdoughs, and not specifically to commercially bought bread. Now I gotta go to RL... enjoy your forum food fight.
    Life is short. Best of luck with your weight loss and health journey.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Also, all bread is fermented to some extent... but I am specifically referring to Lactobacillus in sourdoughs, and not specifically to commercially bought bread. Now I gotta go to RL... enjoy your forum food fight.
    Life is short. Best of luck with your weight loss and health journey.

:flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm undergoing a gluten-free test right now. In the past 11 years i've had 1 flex sig, 4 colonoscopies, and 1 endoscopy. I've had GI symptoms for 12 years and other symptoms for over 20. I've seen various doctors and specialists but have always kept the same Primary Care physician and the same Gastro. My PC physician has gone to admin so I had to switch. My new PC physician suggested going gluten free...(My GI issues now include random vommitting, not sick or fle but just vommitting.)

I feel your pain. :heart: The nausea, vomiting and diarrhea after eating "the wrong foods" was so traumatic for me for years. It has taken me a miserable long time to find out what was wrong. My trigger foods are dairy, red meat, gluten and eggs. Good luck with your elimination diet. Hope you find out what's causing the problems. :flowerforyou: