increase strength in legs?

Options
Hi everyone can anyone please give me some tips in strengthening my leg muscles. I want to be able to hold squats for long periods and half splits while squating to the floor. Basically increase me flexibilty and strength in my legs without having pain everytime i try to pick something off the floor.

Replies

• SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Squats with weight or just squatting down? Doing strength training has really helped with being able to squat down for random rubbish, if that's what you mean?
  • dough21
    dough21 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Before I opened this up I was going to tell you squats. Lol. Maybe try riding a bike for a little while then going back to squats later? You can also lay on your side and do some leg lifts.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what kind of exercise you do now, but the 30 Day Shred workouts include a lot of lunges and squat exercises. And then there is always split-leg lunges that you can add weights to or squats with weights. Its hard to give really good suggestions when I don't know what you are already doing.
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm currently starting NROL supercharged, and really excited about it.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    From what it sounds like you would benefit most from bodyweight specific training techniques as you are obviously going for being a dancer or gymnast or something else along those lines. Isometric holds are your friend. Bodyweight exercises that place the muscle under tension and keep it there for an extended period of time, like wall sits. Eventually do it without the wall. I am a very big advocate of weight training but in your particular scenario I don't think it would benefit you as much as isometric training techniques.

EDIT: Sorry I read the last line and saw you're not training for that. But what I said still applies. For weight training I would say front squats and goblet squats, but for what else I said still applies definitely. Isometrics are your friend here. And if physical therapy/rehab is a concern, DO NOT DO 30 DAY SHRED OR ANY OTHER JILLIAN WORKOUT. She is known for wrecking knees.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    What is it that you are currently doing for your leg workouts??
  • cocobuny
    cocobuny Posts: 32 Member
    Options

@Stephanie , well right know im doing some yoga stretches and insanity. Im on day 3 of insanity program.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

@Stephanie , well right know im doing some yoga stretches and insanity. Im on day 3 of insanity program.

If you're doing this to relieve pain or have bad knees insanity is a BAD BAD BAD BAD BAD idea. You need to stop RIGHT this second.
  • cocobuny
    Options
    Squats with weight or just squatting down? Doing strength training has really helped with being able to squat down for random rubbish, if that's what you mean?
    Yes, maam great advice i willl definately incorpriate some weghts to reps of squats. thank you
  • cocobuny
    Options
    What is NROL?
  • cocobuny
    Options
    Why is isanity bad? I just thought its difficult for me because I am at the heaviest I have ever been. I grew up an active child and always worked out until I had my second baby and she is now 1.I just thought I cant handle my body weight. will insanity cause serious injury?
  • cocobuny
    Options
    side leg lifts sound great too. plus they help stregthen the core as well.. also great advice thank you
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Why is isanity bad? I just thought its difficult for me because I am at the heaviest I have ever been. I grew up an active child and always worked out until I had my second baby and she is now 1.I just thought I cant handle my body weight. will insanity cause serious injury?

Insanity has you doing high impact exercises too many days of the week. The result is overload of the CNS and it shortens the life of your knees.