Been doing so well and over ate today. Feeling super guilty!

Options
I've been doing so well for the last 4 weeks. Eating well within my calorie allotment and exercising.

Well today I ate. Over ate by 1000 calorie and no exercise. I didn't feel like exercising. I just wanted to spend it with my family.

But now am feeling super guilty. I've already lost 8 lbs and I really don't want to gain it back again.

Am just babbling. And feeling super guilty. Sigh

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    an extra 1000 calories is NOT going to put those 8 pounds back on again.

Get back on track tomorrow. If you are doing this journey realistically, there will be days you "go over" - it happens. The challenge is really just picking your self up again tomorrow.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    it's one day. wake up tomorrow and do better.

and there's no reason there should ever be guilt felt here.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would be more surprised if a person DIDNT make mistakes and accidently go over. I'd say a whole month is great! Lots of people choose to have a cheat day so just remember, this one day isn't going to make you gain. Tomorrow you can aim healthier and continue to lose.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your weekly weight loss goal is, but if it is 2 pounds a week 1000 calories doesn't even Get you into a surplus for the day. It is important to realize that time with friends and family are important as well. Get back to it tomorrow,and don't beat yourself up over one day that likely didn't put you over your maintenance calories.
  • res119
    res119 Posts: 27
    Options
    The same thing literally JUST happened to me! In fact, that's why I came onto the message boards tonight. I am about 2.5 weeks in and have been pretty much flawless with my eating, and as a result have lost 7 lbs. (yay!) I love the feeling I get after conquering my cravings at the end of the day, so I too feel super guilty about letting myself go tonight.

In the past this would mean me giving up, but not this time! I am going to wake up and keep on going tomorrow, using this as a learning experience. When I compare the strength and pride I've felt for the past 2.5 weeks compared to the weakness and guilt I feel tonight, I will definitely choose the good feeling to motivate me in the future!

Congrats on what you've done so far and keep going! You're doing great.
  • FitBlackChick
    FitBlackChick Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree with everyone who has commented so far. It happens, we all do it. I did it myself during last weekend (only I'm pretty sure I was three times worse) but I got back up and that's what matters :) Plus, it's only one day. It's not going to make you gain back all the weight you've lost so far
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Just get back on track tomorrow! You can have an off day every now and then.. just don't make it an everyday habit.

NO WORRIES!! You are fine! No guilt! You can always fix it tomorrow and you will because you already lost 8 pounds!
  • katierockstarparrish
    Options
    It is one day, and you shouldn't worry. When losing weight and exercising, it is important to zig-zag your calorie intake too so you don't hit that plateau. Keep it up and try again tomorrow!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Key words:
    I just wanted to spend it with my family.

Don't beat yourself up or feel guilty about stuff like this - it's life! :smile: And as other have said, one day over, even by 1000 cals, is not going to undo your progress.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I had an overage day by more than 600 cals, and a couple days later I learned that I had lost almost a pound that week. I'm not saying binges are great for you, but i'm saying that they won't really effect you as much as losing confidence in yourself will. It might even give you extra energy or a metabolism boost! Just brush it off and keep pushing through.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow ain't been touched; plenty of time to "cover" for today!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Everybody has an off day once in a while. The most important thing is to come back tomorrow and be ready to work extra hard. 1000 calories won't make you gain 8 pounds. Good luck.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I over ate 2 days this week by 2000odd calories..but the remainder was within my limits, thus lost weight.

You will be fine.
  • rockstar125
    Options
    Oh no worries. That's what humans do......we're not perfect! I think the key is not using it as an excuse to give up and start tomorrow w/ poor food choices. One bad meal/one bad day doesn't cause weight gain. Hope you enjoyed your time w/ family!
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    It is one day, and you shouldn't worry. When losing weight and exercising, it is important to zig-zag your calorie intake too so you don't hit that plateau. Keep it up and try again tomorrow!

In agreement with everyone else about not feeling bad - tis life. But this person is right ^^^ Whenever I have a plateau, for a few days I will over eat on my calories (some good things, some not so good things) and then bamm I see the scale move. So who knows it may actually help you :laugh:
  • Werrrkitgurl
    Options
    I know how you feel completely Hun. This happens to everyone at some point. As long as you wake up tomorrow and continue as you have been, then you haven't given up. You got knocked down and now its time to get up again.

P.S. Anytime I go through this I do a "mini workout" to try to burn a few calories so I don't feel so guilty. I do some jumping jacks, a few crunches, some arm circles, calf raises and some squats. Finish off with a big glass of water. I always feel like I'm back on track afterwards. :))
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    an extra 1000 calories is NOT going to put those 8 pounds back on again.

Get back on track tomorrow. If you are doing this journey realistically, there will be days you "go over" - it happens. The challenge is really just picking your self up again tomorrow.

I agree!!! 100%!!! Those days you go over might make you feel hungry the next day a bit, but I don't think you will see any change on the scale for your weigh in (at least not your 8lbs)! Recognizing you went over is great, and you are already achieving so much by checking in with MFP and being honest with yourself. Don't let this get you down. You are doing great, and tomorrow is a new day :)
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better I'm planning on doing this tomorrow. I'm making dinner and dessert with my family and I'm going to enjoy every minute and every bite with them. No guilt. Just enjoyment. As long as you do well the majority of the time days like this really are ok. Don't let these feelings ruin your memories of the day you spent with your family.
  • NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are human. Ummmm.....1000 calories is not what I'd call blowing it. Tomorrow is a new day, and a new start. Now lose the guilt!
  • sheicon23
    Options
    Guys!!!!

Thank you so much for the overwhelming support! I was really feeling down after over eating today until I read all your post.:)

I definitely will take all your kind words and thoughts and use that as motivation tomorrow.

It will be another day and ill go right back on track.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Ps : I did have a wonderful day with my 3 1/2 and 6 month old boys :)