Fitness wear frustrations

Options
13»

Replies

• susiesweets
    Options
    Where are all you ladies finding a Khol's that carries anything higher than an XL? I'm a XXL and can't find anything at Khol's that will fit. And I refuse to buy anything on-line as sizes change considerably depending on the clothing Brand.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    There is only one store in my area that carries decent plus size clothes. JC penny says they carry plus size, I haven't seen anything above a 16 in that store ever. Costco carries up to a XL, nothing bigger. Sadly all there really is in my area that carries real plus size clothing of any sort is Lane Bryant. I can say for certain I am not paying 45 dollars for a pair of sweats and a shirt to sweat in! Ridiculous.

I wear my now too big of sweat pants with holes in them, and my shirts that are too big and just deal. I have had it with shopping and am disgusted at the sales girls when I go in to purchase something for a friend. I get the "You can't fit into in here" looks, and the annoying, "Can I help you find something? The jewelry is over here." I can't wait to go back in those stores in a year and try on a mess of clothes and leave them all over the dressing room floor and not buy anything.
  • mommm65
    mommm65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There is only one store in my area that carries decent plus size clothes. JC penny says they carry plus size, I haven't seen anything above a 16 in that store ever. Costco carries up to a XL, nothing bigger. Sadly all there really is in my area that carries real plus size clothing of any sort is Lane Bryant. I can say for certain I am not paying 45 dollars for a pair of sweats and a shirt to sweat in! Ridiculous.

I wear my now too big of sweat pants with holes in them, and my shirts that are too big and just deal. I have had it with shopping and am disgusted at the sales girls when I go in to purchase something for a friend. I get the "You can't fit into in here" looks, and the annoying, "Can I help you find something? The jewelry is over here." I can't wait to go back in those stores in a year and try on a mess of clothes and leave them all over the dressing room floor and not buy anything.

YES YES YES!!!!
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I must admit I use new fitness wear (and new IPad books) as rewards for "so many pounds" lost. My daughter is the world best online shopper for me for clothes. She is y g and spent 3 years doing cooperative learning experience so she buys stuff for me when I meet a milestone. She has found online target and some stuff on amazon. I have to exercise in v neck (I can't stand a crew neck:it feels like I'm choking) tops. She likes Old Navy for that. I am older(60) and my daughter tells me to pretend I am I my own exercise bubble when I go exercise. The books help, too, as well as the iPod. My family is very well known in my small town and I had trouble with people refining me. I mean, really, who wants to see a 60 year old red faced and sweating, right!!! You would be surprised how supportive the young people are:it's really in my head, no theirs. It still unnerves me though, when people come up to me and start commenting on my weight loss, or what my husband is doing today, or where my kids are now! But new clothes help me because they now represent my success...and it's kinda nice to wear clothes my daughter bought...sort of wrapped in one of her incredible "hugs for her MOM" hugs. I only see her about twice per year so her gifts are really appreciated!!
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    You know its about being comfortable in the clothes you wear to workout. You don't have to wear the cute outfits...they are useless.

I found pants (knee length) at target for just under $10.
    I wear a man's x-large shirt because I like the freedom it gives me...not tight and sucking the life out of me.

I am glad I go to a small gym where its not about what I wear but about the quality of working I (we) do to burn off the weight.
  • AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I like the JCP brand xersion. They have a big selection in store and online in plus sizes.

I don't need plus sizes anymore but I still like the brand. They're incredibly affordable.

JCP is great for active wear - they do tall and large, so me is happy!
    I just bought 17 tops from their with some capri's and will definatley be going back - oh and I don't like stateside, so get the delivery to the middle east - which is fabulous!
    They only cater for little here!
    Good luck!
  • mommm65
    mommm65 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You know its about being comfortable in the clothes you wear to workout. You don't have to wear the cute outfits...they are useless.

I found pants (knee length) at target for just under $10.
    I wear a man's x-large shirt because I like the freedom it gives me...not tight and sucking the life out of me.

I am glad I go to a small gym where its not about what I wear but about the quality of working I (we) do to burn off the weight.

Okay I need to clarify for some of you that I am not looking for expensive clothing to impress anyone! I want attractive, moisture wicking workout clothing because it makes ME FEEL GOOD. I do not belong to a gym. No cares what I wear. As for the quality of my workout, I can assure you that my workout is about the workout and I do "burn off the weight."

Thanks to those of you who feel my pain and have offered suggestions and stores to check. I will be doing just that.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I shop at Lane Bryant and Catherines for everything. Walmart too....sometimes. If you shop Lane Bryant, be advised they are expensive. Haunt the clearance section, and be sure to use promo codes to knock the price down. I rarely buy anything from them at full asking price.

***Forgot to add, check out Roaman's, Haband, and OneStopPlus
  • starsonlyhope
    Options
    I get most of mine at Walmart. The Danskin stuff is decent and cheap enough that I won't feel bad chucking it when I shrink out of it.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you probably already know this, but don't buy anything without trying it on. The plus sized Under Armour is cute, but runs really small!

that's because under armor is meant to be compression wear. the functions of compression wear are completely different than for other types of workout gear. so it's the size it's supposed to be and isnt running small

I took that into account when I tried it on. I stared in the mirror for a while trying to decide if I was supposed to look like a lumpy sausage link... and not just lumpy... lumpy with new lumps, created by the clothes, that aren't even part of the lumps that I have everyday. I tried on UA that was a size larger than I normally wear and it was ROUGH to look at. Maybe I'm just squashy enough that things don't compress evenly... they redistribute in very unflattering ways.

I prefer to think of them as running small... but I'll try to be more open minded about it the next time I try some on.