New Running Shoes - different muscle aches?

Okay, so I just bought my first pair of actual running shoes and I'm curious - when you went from running in regular tennis shoes (Sketchers Sport Premiums) to an actual running tennis shoe (Asics gel) did your leg muscles/bones hurt in different places than before the running shoe? I ran only 2/3 of my normal time in the new shoes tonight and my shin bones were hurting some, along with an area around my knee. I've never had that hurt before. Is this normal? Will it get better? Or were my other shoes were actually better, even though they weren't designated as "running" shoes?

Replies

• dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Have you had a rest day since changing shoes?

When I first started running, I got shin splints from wearing horrible, old shoes. When I got new ones, I had aches but they went away once I gave myself a couple of rest days, iced the affected area and got back into it. Now I don't have aches in my calves or shins anymore.

I'm not an expert on running or anything but for some reason, I think you may need to give yourself time to break into your new shoes and I am curious about whether you can run well in tennis shoes long term. I would buy just running shoes personally.
  • lisanhorowitz
    lisanhorowitz Posts: 38 Member
    Are you stretching?That my first piece of advice. In addition, shoes have a break in period. Keep at it for about 2 weeks, if it still hurts switch brands (I suggest brooks ariel), and if the pain becomes extreme see a podiatrist. I've been battling chronic shin splints and after multiple shoe changes, physical therapy visits, time off, x- rays, MRIs and doctors visits the thing that helped me the most was a visit to the podiatrist for custom orthodics (they're more or less insoles for your shoes).
  • You might want to break in your shoes before you run in them. Typically, I'll wear a pair of running shoes for a few days before I actually run in them. Just to get my feet used to walking in them. Every shoe forms your feet different and causes your stride to change. Don't go by the neutral/motion/stability that people like to push. It's been proven that they are about as different buying 1,000 dollar stilettos and 15 dollar ones (different until you start walking long distance, then the pain and blisters are the same).

Personal experience: I overpronate extreme so I've always bought "proper" shoes for people who overpronate (went to a proper high end running store and was checked out and had shoes recommended). I had SO many injuries for YEARS until one day I just grabbed a pair of random shoes I had and ran - felt great. I've since learned to just purchase shoes based on my needs, form, weight, and how it feels when it is on my feet.

I can't tell you if your form change is for the better or for the worse. Chances are, your form is off. Most people who start running have poor form. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx6x2cD6Y8Q

Do some research on shoes. Try RunnersWorld.com

Good luck!

*Source: Runner for a decade - marathon, half marathons, 10ks, 5ks,
  • I read somewhere that alternating shoes helps when you're dealing with sore shins. Might make sense as you break in your new shoes. I'm no expert but I've never heard of knee pain with shin splints. Maybe check your running form? Visiting a podiatrist sounds like good advice too.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Don't know if this has anything to do with what you are experiencing? When I run, I must come down harder on the outside back of the heel, because it wears there more quickly than other places on the shoe. If I run in my shoes much to long, my claves get used to running at a slight angle. When I buy new shoes, some times my calves ache some because they are used to running at the slight angle, and not they are not. I think it exercises slightly differend muscles in the calf.
  • I'mg going to try wearing them around the house just doing normal everyday things for a few days and get them broke in and my feet/legs/body used to them. Then hopefully after that I can run in them comfortably. I am a little disappointed in not being able to run in them immediately like I had hoped to.