Water :(

Options
Ok...So I have been at this since Jan and I am down 30lbs..which I am very happy with and I also eat within my calories everyday (at or below) but I am having trouble with drinking my water...I was doing very well with drinking the water but starting last week I have really started to fail at this..I know I need to drink it and I was drinking between 8 and 14 8oz glasses a day now I am down to 5 if I am lucky:angry: I have tried to drink the flavored water..tried adding flavoring packets to my water..with still no succes and have even went back to the point of trying to make myself drink all my waters before I can have anything else to drink and thats not working either..I am just wondering if I can drink ice tea(unsweeten) and count that as water? or even coffee..for somereason I am thinking that I can not do that but just not 100% sure...for somereason everytime I take a drink of water now it is like I want to gag and throwup any one else have this issue and if so what did or can I do..I am afraid this is going to set me back...

Thanks for any advice you can give me:flowerforyou:

Replies

• fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    The more water you drink, the more you and your body will "learn" to like it. I carry a bottle around with me ALL day, and constant fill it up. Each bottle reflects 2 8oz servings, so I know I need to drink at least 4 a day. Spread it out on an hourly basis, and you will become accustom to making your daily quota. Remember, the more water you drink, the less water you retain. Sounds crazy, but it's true. :)
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options
    This whole water thing is always a big debate and it's really up to individual preference. I've read many articles that say the 8 cups a day is just a myth. You're really just looking to keep your body hydrated. Urine (as far as I know) is the best way to tell if you're getting dehydrated. If it's dark then you need to be drinking more. It should be practically clear. I drink when I'm thirsty. I don't worry about how much I'm drinking but I always drink a lot anyways so I'm seldom dehydrated. If you feel like you need to have those 8 cups then by all means count the tea. I don't see how there's harm in that unless the only thing you're drinking is tea and you have no water. You shouldn't count soda or sugary drinks but I'm sure you already know that.
  • prlawrie
    prlawrie Posts: 7
    Options
    I also have water with me at all times. My body craves it and I can tell when I haven't been drinking enough. Do you have a Brita or Pur water filter? Those help a lot since the water out of the tap doesn't always taste that great. Some of the zero calorie waters out there are pretty tasty. I like the Target brand waters. The more hydrated you stay, the better you will feel!
  • MSPENCE
    MSPENCE Posts: 31
    Options
    ok I see you are from WV...I'm in NY so things aren't to different.. Try making "SUN" tea.. I know this time of year the sun isn't always the BRIGHTEST but give it a shot, That way you KNOW whats in your tea and you can make it to your liking.
    I think you can definately count that as water!.
    Good Luck!!!
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    A lot of people are bad at drinking, so you are not alone. I would say as long as it has water content and doesnt have sugar or caffine in it then count it.
  • TanRobins
    TanRobins Posts: 44
    Options
    I agree with plrawrie and fitandhealthy. Maybe instead of trying to gulp down 8 oz at once, you carry a bottle with you and sip through out the day. That may help you get all your water in. I have a huge bottle with me at work (36 oz) and make sure I finish it before the end of the day. And I drink another 3 cups while working out. And as long as you drink tea w/o sugar, I don't see why that can't count...not sure about the coffee. Good luck!
  • Rachel80
    Rachel80 Posts: 7
    Options
    What helps me is I start my day off with a 16oz bottle of water. I then just refill it and know I have to drink 4 total for the day. I don't know why, but doing it this way makes drinking the water easier. In fact, I always end up drinking more than I am supposed to. BUT if I carry around a jug with the 64 oz all in there... I can never finish it. Sometimes I think it is a psychological thing.

Good luck! :)
  • Pooh79
    Pooh79 Posts: 7
    Options
    I also always have a bottle of water with me at all times. I fill it up at least 3x during my work hours and another 2 at home. I know that if I drink at least 5 bottles during the day that I will be at my 80oz a day goal. Also, I tend to drink more water if it is really cold. I also have it in front of me where I can see it and remember to drink it. I don't count my tea as part of my water intake but that's just me. :)
  • Heather1776
    Heather1776 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    This whole water thing is always a big debate and it's really up to individual preference. I've read many articles that say the 8 cups a day is just a myth. You're really just looking to keep your body hydrated. Urine (as far as I know) is the best way to tell if you're getting dehydrated. If it's dark then you need to be drinking more. It should be practically clear. I drink when I'm thirsty. I don't worry about how much I'm drinking but I always drink a lot anyways so I'm seldom dehydrated. If you feel like you need to have those 8 cups then by all means count the tea. I don't see how there's harm in that unless the only thing you're drinking is tea and you have no water. You shouldn't count soda or sugary drinks but I'm sure you already know that.

I agree that you should drink when you are thirsty, but if you are thirsty you are already dehydrated. So, it's better to keep on top of it. I just try to keep a glass of water with me at all times and I find myself drinking 8-12 cups a day.
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    Try making "SUN" tea.. I know this time of year the sun isn't always the BRIGHTEST but give it a shot, That way you KNOW whats in your tea and you can make it to your liking.
    I think you can definately count that as water!.
    Good Luck!!!

I make tea in the fridge overnight. I just throw the bags in the water & leave them & when I wake up, its dark as if I had used hot water to make it. No special type of tea either like cold brew which was nice. I add some lemon juice & it's good to go. I definitely count that as my water intake. When I did weight watchers, I was told I could use milk, coffee, tea, etc as my water/liquid intake.
  • electricgypsy
    electricgypsy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i was taught caffeine heavy drinks count as half a cup, green tea and fruit tea are good alternatives although some fruit teas are sugar heavy.
  • atlmom
    atlmom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    this may sound crazy, but i much prefer water when it's cold. i keep a water bottle in the refridgerator all the time. i'm much more likely to drink it if it's cold.

also, i try to drink 8 oz before i leave in the morning. i take some meds, and always take them with water. good luck
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day. I fill a 16 oz bottle of water before every "meal" and have to finish it before I start my next meal. I easily get in 12 cups a day. On the down side I have to pee every hour and wake up during the night. LOL
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If you search the threads for "Plus Size Barbies - week 2" there is a challenge this week regarding water intake. If you read through this thread you may get some more ideas, and you will definately see a lot of people that struggle with it just like you do. Good luck.
  • HealthyKt78
    HealthyKt78 Posts: 439
    Options

I agree that you should drink when you are thirsty, but if you are thirsty you are already dehydrated. So, it's better to keep on top of it. I just try to keep a glass of water with me at all times and I find myself drinking 8-12 cups a day.

I used the term 'thirst' pretty loosely. I'm never thirsty like throat dry have to drink something now thirsty, it's more like oh I feel like some water. Does that make sense?
  • javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    I struggle with drinking water, too. Coffee and tea contain caffeine and I believe this has a dehydrating effect on you. I don't think caffeinated beverages count towards your water. Crystal Light does (lemonade, etc.). Also, I recently had a glass of water served with slices of cucumber in it and (surprise) it tasted really yummy. Did not expect that!