$40.00 a month (im serious)

Options

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    and I agree with the statement about organ meat. :)

Offal is the new steak! : )

At French Haute Cuisine ("high kitchen") cooking contests, like the Bocuse D'Or, they are now actually preparing ox cheeks and ox tails and such. Gastronomy has lately been rediscovering organ meat and it is now very trendy! :glasses:
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    coupons and sales will be your best friend. Good luck eating for 40 a month. Eating healthier options anyway.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I am a social worker and learned to feed my family of four pretty decently on about $125/week. Discount grocers and buying/cooking in bulk will be your savior. A quick Google search found these in Arizona (I have no idea how far away they are from you). My recommendation is to find time each week to hit at least one discount store and at least one place where you can buy in bulk and check your local Dollar Store - often you can find canned or dried or frozen food there (be careful, sometimes it is NOT the cheapest option!) See what's available that week. Make time each week to cook in bulk. Often with Discount Grocers you can't go in with a list because what's available changes every week. If you find a whole chicken for $5 Buy It and take it home and cook the whole damn thing and debone the meat and put it in individual containers (I weight mine first so it's easy to grab and go each week). If there’s veggie - get 'em, take them home and clean/cut/cook them all and put them in individual containers or baggies if you don't have enough tupperware. If there's fruit available I buy it - if I can't eat it all before it goes bad I'll cut it up in small pieces and freeze it for smoothies later. I even buy spinach/greens in bulk and blend them with coconut milk and freeze them in a cupcake tin to make myself smoothie pops - then each morning all I have to do is add the fruit and some water and boom - a fresh green smoothie! Buy lots of bulk beans and brown rice and canned tuna (in water not oil). Don’t let the lure of cheap $1 meals get to you! It only looks like inexpensive food – it isn’t! You got this! A little planning and a little time and You Got This!

Arizona Discount Grocery Stores

Cornville
    Grocery Surplus Outlet LLC
    9435 Cornville Road
    Cornville, AZ
    Ph 928-639-3869

Mesa
    American Discount Foods
    www.american-discount-foods.com
    308 South Extension Road. #108
    Ph 480-649-4495

Glendale
    Grocery Outlet
    4308 W Bell Rd
    Glendale, AZ 85308
    (602) 548-0007

Peoria
    The Dented Can LLC
    9501 W Peoria Ave Ste 11
    Ph 623-486-9646

Quartzsite
    Discount Groceries
    1558 West Main St.
    Ph 928-927-4301

San Luis
    Green Tree Grocery Outlet
    520 N. Archibald Street

Yuma
    495 E. 10th Street
    Ph 928-329-6664

9117 E. South Frontage Road
    Yuma, AZ

Tucson
    Grocery Outlet
    5667 E Speedway Blvd
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    (520) 546-6645

Value Foods Store
    Tucson 85726
    520-622-0525

Wickenburg
    B & S Discount Sales
    642 W Wickenburg Way
    Wickenburg, AZ 85390
    Phone: (928) 684-3716
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    You can get grains and beans really cheap in bulk at wholefoods or on nuts.com.
    You really should try to cut out other expenses it's really cheap to eat BAD- just check out McDs 99 cent menu.
    To eat healthy you have to invest in your FOOD. I spend about $500/month on fresh produce.
    You can check out what my fridge looks like here
    www.me-on-dukan.blogspot.com
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Eggs (Protein and Fats), Bananas (Carbs) and Potatoes (More Carbs).
    Rice isn't a bad option either, can get 20 pounds for like 20 bucks where I'm at.
  • Cullinanmarti
    Cullinanmarti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    If you are without money in general, go to the nearess food bank! I give food there all the time...mostly fresh food in the summer as I have a HUGE garden and can't eat all the produce!!! Example, somehow I ended up with 40 cucumber plants and 60 tomato bushes..seriously how much salsa can you make!!! HaHa, But, seriously, food banks are there for a reason.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    My budget is about $200-300 a month, I buy cheap, if I have them I will use coupons and store adds/specials.
    Buy your bread at an outlet store, My city has a SaraLee outlet and you can buy bread for as little as $.99
    Buy store brands, if its cheaper.
    Frozen veggies are pretty cheap, about $1-2 per bag
    Look into food pantries, no shame in getting free food.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Here in Alberta, Canada the Farmer's Markets are really expensive however the product is fresh for the most part. I have bought chickens that were very questionable for freshness and berries that are fresh on top and not so great below 2 inches in the pail. So for me Farmer's Markets are buyer beware.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Youre in Arizona....check out the Mexican groceries. You can get staples like rice and beans there pretty cheap.
    I would also tell you to check out one of the buying groups...Market on the Move can be a terrific deal for produce. They have sites all over Tucson on the weekends, and I think they have sites in Phoenix too. Also...Bountiful Baskets co-op is a wonderful program. We get a basket every other week because its just so much good food we don't finish all of it. Its $15 a basket...and worth a minimum of twice that , all fresh fruits and veggies. Good luck!
  • lovely_k
    Options
    I haven't read everything that was advised but as a student i pride myself on making cheap good meals.

I but lemons/ lemon juice and make lemonade instead of buying juices; sometime i just add the lemon to water for flavor the juice tends to last 2-3 weeks while the lemons last 1.5 weeks.

Corn tortillas, usually 30 tortillas for $1.50 and i put black beans, grated cabbage and cheese. 3 tortillas are usually less than 200 calories and the corn limits the calories and carbs.

Back to cabbage, i buy a whole cabbage usually like $2.00 and it can last about 2 weeks depending on how often i use it. I steam it or saute it with some seasoning.

Also, when I buy ground turkey I usually split it into four servings, tomato sauce and a zucchini and egg noodles. That's four meals for about $2.50 a meal for all ingredients.

I eat a lot of eggs

Usually I buy big dry oats, its about $3.50 but it can last 3 weeks to a month

tuna is a good suggestion

i like graham crackers for snacks.

I don't eat read meat so no tips there but if you want to make fish tilapia is usually cheap and stores sometimes sell one big piece for less than $2.00

Hope this helps:)
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Thank you for the replies so far (and i know im very cruel to grilled onions) :(.

Side note,
    I dont even know what an Aldi is, nor do i think they exist here in Arizona.

They have off brand everything. The store is based out of Germany and saves you a lot of money. However, they are not out west.
  • bettyann55
    bettyann55 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If you like cucumbers they make a great refreshing drink by just adding a couple thin slices to your water.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm completely 100% single and feeding myself.... I spend roughly $200 on food (includes some other stuff but I could do better). For meat, look for it on managers special or mark down. When you get home, cut meat into portions, bag them, & freeze them. I have a couple months supply of meat in my freeze that I only spent $20-25 bucks on. When you make meals, freeze other portions for later. Also do you know any who hunts? Maybe someone would be willing to unload some deer meat? If you buy bread, freeze half of it so you can use all of it before it goes bad.

Other than making your freezer your best friend, shop sales, buy frozen veggies when they are cheap, and watch the ads.
  • jjo202
    jjo202 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    A number of people have mentioned buying in bulk, which is generally a great idea, but bulk for one can be hard. You can get real discounts when you start buying in quantities like 50lb bags of dried beans and grains. But the only way for an individual to have access to those benefits is to either join a food coop where bulk foods are sold as close to cost as possible or to create a buying club. If you can get 5 friends together who are all trying to eat on a budget then the 50 lb bag becomes 10 lbs which is much more manageable. Companies like UNFI cater to buying groups and co-ops, but small supermarkets and natural food stores might also be willing to order big bulk items for you. If you do join a food co-op, depending on their model, there are also often discounts for working shifts and you can take home any products that have can no longer be sold because they are expired (but haven't actually gone bad yet).

And, of course, buying in bulk will mean that you'll have to shell out more cash up front, but the benefits will pay off over time. It sounds like you're in a position to do that, which is great. It's a tragic situation when people are so strapped for cash that they can't afford to buy in quantities that are cheaper over time :(

Keep us posted on your progress!
  • Panda_1999
    Panda_1999 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/
    Lots of from scratch recipes here, it does take more work to live on less.
  • setowally
    setowally Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not sure if its on anymore but there is a TV show called "cheapskates" its a show about how to save money with clothes food etc. I wouldn't do everything they do as it is fairly gross sometimes. However some of the people have great ideas on saving money in all aspects.
  • suzbaru
    suzbaru Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am an "extreme couponer", I went from $600 to $200 a month for groceries for my husband and I and this includes eating out and alcohol. - Incredible wall of text incoming.

Quick steps for anyone to use right away.
    Coupons and sales come in 3 month cycles, if you just missed the sale on fruit roll ups for kids, wait 3 months and stock up then. Coupons either need to be used right away or near the expiration for the best advantage of the coupon.

Each store will run the same sale just the next week. General Mills cereals are on sale this week at XYZ... Don't worry if you don't make it to the store, they will be on sale at ABC the next week. The coupon expiration date is more important at that point.

If available sign up for Safeway's Just 4 U program, it's part of your safeway card. You can then get 30% off the produce area about once every other month, 30% of bread, 20% off dairy, etc. If you buy the same item there time and again. You will see your price improve as well.

Sprouts (Sunflower) Market does double up ads on Wednesday - prices from the previous week and current week are used at the same time.

Target - get the card. Just swipe it and pay with what you would normally use. You get 5% off your order for basically using their card.

Consider buying bulk online, Amazon and Ebay can have some amazing deals on household items.

Ok, on with the show.

I as well hate onions, which prompted my response.

Suggested places to buy

Veggies & Fruits
    1. Sprouts (Sunflower) Market 4 in Tucson is a decent place for veggies and fruit. It's like a less expensive version of Whole Food Market. Or as I like to call them. The hippy dippy do stores.
    The best and worst time to buy is in Wednesdays. They allow overlapping of the previous weeks ad and the current week. So you won't have to wonder if it wouldn't be cheaper at another time. They also have bulk bins for grains, legumes, pasta, etc.

2. Farmer's Markets - Go towards the end of the day. The selection isn't as great but they don't want to load the stuff back on their trucks so you can typically get it for 1/3 to 1/2 off what the sign says. Bell Peppers 3 for $1 more like 5 for $1

Here is a seasonal chart which will help you with what time is the best to buy something aka, height of the season so you aren't buying the first crop which is over priced and not quite ready yet. This is the UK version but google and you can find one local to AZ. http://eatseasonably.co.uk/what-to-eat-now/calendar/

Also, when you can. Stock up on say berries, broccoli, peas, corn, etc and freeze them so you can eat them through out the year. 5 ears of corn for $1 will go a long way in the grand scheme of things.

Now tomatoes, I'm still on the fence about. I have been checking costs between growing my own and canned tomatoes and right now cans are winning. That being said only bulk cans from Bulk stores. $4.89 for a #15 can of diced tomatoes is pretty damn cheap. You can make your own sauce for just about anything. I am also not a fan of tomatoes but I tolerate them as they are so inexpensive. Don't buy 2 jars of Classico for $5/4/3 dollars, when a can of tomatoes costs the same and makes twice as much.

Meat & Dairy
    Go Bulk aka Sam's Club, Costco, BJ's, etc
    Also go as soon as you can in the morning and purchase the discounted meat, then break it down and freeze it into correct portion sizes.
    Be leery of any grocery store Buy1Get1 deals as they inflate price per pound to cover both packages of meat to their advantage.

Spices (I'm not looking forward to the lash back on this one)
    The Dollar Store - Most spices are either filled with Salt, Pepper or Both so it's not a crime to buy Mrs. Dash at the Dollar Store

Grow your own - Get free pots from Craigslist and the mangled plants from WalMart / Kmart / Home Depot. They will be discounted but they will grow with attention.

Household stuff
    This all comes down to numbers. I used to believe bulk stores, only. After doing the math on per ounce, pound, etc. This is no longer the case.
    I now normally buy laundry detergent, toilet paper, shampoo, razors, toothpaste, etc. at Target, Walgreens, WalMart or Kmart.

Laundry detergent, if you are paying more than $.04 an ounce you are paying to much! Most detergent is around $.08-.11 an ounce without a sale and a normal price at Sam's.
    Use coupons and only when it's on sale. AKA $5 Fridays at Safeway on All - Only do this with a coupon so it's $4.

Toilet Paper (now I am super picky. I only want the good stuff, no single ply here, I also want the jumbo/double, super awesome rolls), if you are paying over $13.00 for a 36 pack, you are paying to much!
    Best recent deal. Target has a buy 2 get $5.00 gift card, now use a Target coupon, manufacture's coupon (both normally $1.00 per item) So $2.00 off each package and then get the $5.00 card at the end.

Shampoo, shower stuffs - My belief is if it's over $.50 a bottle it's to much. I use Herbal Essence, Pantene and Fructis as reference. I have also tracked that my husband and I use 3 ounces per month, so a 12 ounce bottle normally lasts 3-1/2 to 4 months. Wait for the sale and use coupons. The best places are those that take manufacture and their own coupons, ie Target. The least I've paid for a bottles of Pantene 20+ oz was $.19 ea

Any toothbrushes, toothpaste and mouthwash products, if they aren't free. You paid to much. Only on sale and only with a coupon.

Cheap razors are always free at WalMart, the schick disposables. The coupons are always in mailbox coupons every 3 months and every 3 months the packaging changes at the store. So the $3.00 off 2 packages is the best to use, then wait for the seasonal change on packaging. The razors will drop to $1.38 per package $3.00 couple, boom 24 new razors. We use Mach 3 razors and it normally costs $35 for a year of razors, which is still less than the Sam's Club what is it now 18 pack? I remember when it was a 36 pack, then a 24. That was the time I had enough and decided coupons were the way to go.

Now away from those items.
    1. Check craigslist, people clean out their pantries all the time
    2. Food pantries through churches, etc. They do a cost of living sliding scale, you might end up with free food
    3. Bakery outlets for Day old bread or better yet if you have time. 25lb bag of flour from Sam's club and make your own - it's much cheaper but ssssooo time consuming even with a bread maker.
  • AMS44067
    Options
    If you have a serious solution, please let me know. I spend about $20 a day just for myself on groceries, would love to see how someone can do it for $50 a month. I love to buy good quality. I eat a lot of salmon, fresh fruit like strawberries, raspberries, I use almond milk, which is almost $4 for 1/2 gallon. I buy high quality protein powder for my shakes.
  • AMS44067
    Options
    Not sure if its on anymore but there is a TV show called "cheapskates" its a show about how to save money with clothes food etc. I wouldn't do everything they do as it is fairly gross sometimes. However some of the people have great ideas on saving money in all aspects.

I think they encore the show, I watched a few episodes. They eat garbage, it is disgusting.
  • setowally
    setowally Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Ha ha like I said, its pretty gross sometimes. But, there are a few good ideas in there on how to save money in general.