Cardio and Intervals Advice

Options
I would like to ask for people's advice on doing cardio and incorporating interval training. At the moment I during 1 week I would do 2x45min weight sessions, 1x 1.5 hour yoga class, 2x 1.5 hour dance classes, 1x 5km run and 1-2 interval cardio sessions of 30 mins each. I guess I have two questions.....firstly, is this enough cardio and exercise for weight loss/fat burning and secondly, what are some interval workouts that are effective? At the moment I have been doing 1 min walk at 7km/h, 1 min run at 12.5-13km/h, for approx 25-30 mins, but I'm wondering if I can do something more effective. Thanks for any advice!
P.S. I only have 2.5 - 3kgs to lose, so not a lot, and it is proving very difficult! So anything I can do to mix it up mioght be useful!

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Gosh i'm exhausted just reading all that.

Sorry I can't help .......but wow
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I would like to ask for people's advice on doing cardio and incorporating interval training. At the moment I during 1 week I would do 2x45min weight sessions, 1x 1.5 hour yoga class, 2x 1.5 hour dance classes, 1x 5km run and 1-2 interval cardio sessions of 30 mins each. I guess I have two questions.....firstly, is this enough cardio and exercise for weight loss/fat burning and secondly, what are some interval workouts that are effective? At the moment I have been doing 1 min walk at 7km/h, 1 min run at 12.5-13km/h, for approx 25-30 mins, but I'm wondering if I can do something more effective. Thanks for any advice!
    P.S. I only have 2.5 - 3kgs to lose, so not a lot, and it is proving very difficult! So anything I can do to mix it up mioght be useful!

It is because you do not have a lot to lose that it is slightly difficult.

Just watch what your dietary habits are and enjoy your exercise. Ensure you are at a deficit, caloriewise and the weight will come off.
  • Thunderfan66
    Thunderfan66 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Really Mads 1997? Sorry, Don't mean to sound rude at all.....I was worried I wasn't doing enough because I am not budging this weight!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I don't think the exercise is an issue.
  • Thunderfan66
    Options

Just watch what your dietary habits are and enjoy your exercise. Ensure you are at a deficit, caloriewise and the weight will come off.

That's what I have been doing but it's not working! I need some more specific advice, because what is starting to happen is that I am losing motivation fast and that leads to "Screw it I'll eat what I want" (bad weekend this weekend!) and I do not want to go down that path - been there, done that! I need something to work so I can keep up the motivation! Clearly what I am doing needs a bit of tweaking! Anyway, more specific advie on the cardio/interval aspect is still welcome!
  • F1uffy123
    F1uffy123 Posts: 121 Member
    Options

That's what I have been doing but it's not working! I need some more specific advice, because what is starting to happen is that I am losing motivation fast and that leads to "Screw it I'll eat what I want" (bad weekend this weekend!) and I do not want to go down that path - been there, done that! I need something to work so I can keep up the motivation! Clearly what I am doing needs a bit of tweaking! Anyway, more specific advie on the cardio/interval aspect is still welcome!

If you are in a deficit and exercising as much as you are, are you eating enough? This could be the problem
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    what is your heart rate at when you exercise? Is your glycogen depleted before you do cardio?
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Open up your diary, let's have a look.
  • Thunderfan66
    Options
    I haven't been recording in my diary.....been doing Lite and Easy for the last month or so, so I have been eating at about 1500 calories...
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    My thoughts -
    1. What is your weight training? If you're doing light weights or isolation exercises (i.e., machines), consider switching to compound lifts using heavier weights, such as squats, deadlifts, and presses. This will use more muscles (as well as build more strength).
    2. Change your interval work from walk/run to some sort of circuit training. Choose 4 to 6 exercises that use multiple muscle groups and/or large muscle groups (bodyweight squat with full body extension instead of calf raises, dumbbell overhead press instead of curls). Circuits can be done on a timer (like 30 secs per exercise) or on reps.
  • Thunderfan66
    Options
    Thanks Jimmie.......my weight training is 2x routines that I do during the week. Both take about 45 mins and I'm doing a superset of 3x 10 reps. so lifting fairly heavy. Things like wide and close grip chin ups (assisted), Lat pull down, leg curl and extension, Smith machine lunges, upright row, dumbbell chest press and chest fly, Hammer squat, rope curl and rope pushdown, Nordic hamstring, etc.

What exercises would you recommend for a circuit?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    With such little weight to lose, I'd focus more on the weights and dump most of the cardio. HIIT training with weights. And shoot for just 1/4 of weight loss per week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Thunderfan66
    Options
    What would be an example of HIIT with weights?
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I too would recommend circuit training. Unfortunately, I don't really know any off the top of my head that you can do off the cuff, but for something more structured, perhaps something like Insanity or 30 Day Shred would be able to help you out?
    I personally use Les Mills Body Combat for my cardio and interval training, as it has cooldown moments within each exercise so you go hard for 1 minute or so, then a not so intense minute, and then back up.
    I've found it really effective, I've lost like 10 waist inches, and 20+ lbs
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jimmie.......my weight training is 2x routines that I do during the week. Both take about 45 mins and I'm doing a superset of 3x 10 reps. so lifting fairly heavy. Things like wide and close grip chin ups (assisted), Lat pull down, leg curl and extension, Smith machine lunges, upright row, dumbbell chest press and chest fly, Hammer squat, rope curl and rope pushdown, Nordic hamstring, etc.

What exercises would you recommend for a circuit?

This is one circuit I've been doing: Circuit: 3 times, no rest in a set, 30s between sets:
    1) Chin-ups x6 2) Sumo deadlift high pull 6x135# 2) 3) Box jumps 24" x12 4) One-handed KB swing 6ESx40# 5) Hanging leg raises x6
    Obviously, it's tailored to me. It was my "accessory work" on a deadlift and overhead press day and it covered some areas I thought I had been lax in, such as the chin-ups instead of pull-ups so I could get some biceps work. Box jumps are as close as I get to an isolation exercise;everything is as full-body as I can maintain. This circuit keeps my heart rate up, so no need for mountain climbers or jump squats, though I use those a lot in circuits.

The last week, I've been using my kettlebells for circuits more (just because I got some new kettles).

Consider changing your weights routine over to the basic compound lifts. You will get more of a full-body workout with squats, deadlifts, benches, and overhead presses than with the machines you're using.