Carb/Low Carbs

Options
I went on holiday for a week and found myself unintentionally eating a lot of low carb foods. In the hotel, I would have omelette for breakfast, chicken and salad for lunch and usually meat and vegetables for dinner. A lot of times because of the hot weather I didn't even feel like eating but I had fruit for snacks. I made sure I drank lots of water instead of soft drinks. Anyway when I was on holiday I felt amazing apart from the odd day when I had a bad migraine. But when I got back home on friday night, I told myself I would eat normally and the first thing I found yesterday in my fridge was bread. So started off well and had toast and coffee for breakfast which normally fills me up but before lunch I was suddenly starving. I didn't get a chance to go shopping so had crackers and cheese but just couldn't get full up. I drank tons of water but was still hungry every second. I then made pasta for lunch as it makes me full most of the time but I just felt strange. I kept feeling the need to eat more.

So now this has got me thinking maybe I should be eating less carbs or go back to low carbing. All I know is that I felt amazing on holiday but haven't felt right since. I am now eating more fruit but my body just doesn't feel right.

Any thoughts/suggestions.

Replies

• happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I feel much better, get full faster and stay full longer, and have more energy when I eat low-carb. Lots of people who try it do. :)
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I was eating clean but not low carb for 2 months now and only lost 7 pounds, and 2 days ago I went low carb and have lost 3 pounds in 2 days. PLUS I feel great too! People are not supposed to eat wheat. It came with agriculture and it's not natural.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It's all about balance.

Any quick weight loss from low carb is from water retention. It isn't some magic bullet.

Obviously it might make sense to analyze your diet and adjust it to be more balanced.
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I was eating clean but not low carb for 2 months now and only lost 7 pounds, and 2 days ago I went low carb and have lost 3 pounds in 2 days. PLUS I feel great too! People are not supposed to eat wheat. It came with agriculture and it's not natural.

This.
  • Zac_Efron
    Options
    trial and error when it comes to this. it sucks and takes time, but no one else can tell u this. a year of "figuring it out" will be worth it in the end.
  • Zac_Efron
    Options
    i gain 8 lbs every sun from eating/drinking carbs... judge by the mirror, not the scale.
  • curvynblonde
    Options
    It's all about balance.

Any quick weight loss from low carb is from water retention. It isn't some magic bullet.

Obviously it might make sense to analyze your diet and adjust it to be more balanced.

So someone who has lost say 70 pounds from low carb has lost 70 pounds of water? If that was the case people could not diet at all and just take a diuretic and lose that much.
  • Zac_Efron
    Options
    you couldve ate less of anything...
  • curvynblonde
    Options
    I had been eating less of everything. I ate completely clean and no more than 1400 cals a day for 2 months. When I eat brown rice, bread and pasta, I don't lose weight. And when I do by chance lose weight, it takes me a very long time.
  • ElliieMental
    Options
    It's all about balance.

So someone who has lost say 70 pounds from low carb has lost 70 pounds of water? If that was the case people could not diet at all and just take a diuretic and lose that much.

:bigsmile: that's an awful lot of water :laugh:
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    This is bull. People aren't supposed to eat wheat? :noway:

You're 2 days into it. Come back to me 2 weeks later and see if you're still happy with it. Everyone has their own way of doing things and what personally works for them but to say humans are not naturally meant to eat wheat is stupid and misinformed.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Those 3 pounds are water weight. That's normal when reducing carbs. Pigs and cows aren't natural either, neither are chickens, they all came with agriculture, too. Same with every fruit and vegetable we eat today. Your argument makes absolutely no sense.

And humans have been eating grasses (wheat is a grass) since long before agriculture. Do you really think humans decided to just start growing some random plant they never ate before just because they invented farming? Or could it possibly be that they started growing foods that they had been gathering and eating? Hint, humans were baking flat breads on hot rocks before agriculture existed.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had been eating less of everything. I ate completely clean and no more than 1400 cals a day for 2 months. When I eat brown rice, bread and pasta, I don't lose weight. And when I do by chance lose weight, it takes me a very long time.

I also reduced the amount of wheat and rice I eat. It is easier to control my appetite (hunger) and I have less energy fluctuations.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    have more energy when I eat low-carb.
    I will give it a go
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    It's all about balance.

:bigsmile: that's an awful lot of water :laugh:
    I think he meant the initial drop in weight on keto.

I did low carb and I liked it aside from the first week of keto flu and the acetone breath. It's great for cutting. But I find that my lifts increase much faster when I eat a little bit more carbs like 75-125g a day or so. When I go back to cutting I'll probably drop my carbs again.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy and unless you have a medical condition that you would benefit from not eating carbs then there is no other reason to avoid them, other than personal preference. Balance is the keep, making sure you are hitting your calorie goals and Macro's for the day and exercise.... beyond that you will just complicate things.. And why the urgency to lose weight fast?? a pound to 2 a week is perfectly fine and will ultimately lead you to your fitness goals, it certainly did for me... I started in the beginning eating no less than 240 grams of carbs a day, and I was diagnosed with full blown Type 2 diabetes back then with A1c running above 10.0, today I eat no less than 300 grams of carbs a day and my A1c have averaged under 5.4 for the past 16 months... But to each there own..... Best of Luck....
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

well duh if you eat no carbs you lose water weight from lack of glycogen thats how u lost 3 lbs quickly.. all of the water weight is intramuscular so u will look worse in turn.

point is dont be afraid of carbohydrates, they are very muscle sparing and provide the energy for good workouts.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Those 3 pounds are water weight. That's normal when reducing carbs. Pigs and cows aren't natural either, neither are chickens, they all came with agriculture, too. Same with every fruit and vegetable we eat today. Your argument makes absolutely no sense.

And humans have been eating grasses (wheat is a grass) since long before agriculture. Do you really think humans decided to just start growing some random plant they never ate before just because they invented farming? Or could it possibly be that they started growing foods that they had been gathering and eating? Hint, humans were baking flat breads on hot rocks before agriculture existed.

THis. It's not like a bunch of cavemen decided to domesticate grains despite never eating them! Grains became domesticated because humans were harvesting them and bringing them home and trying to store them in large quantities, not in spite of human lack of use.

But I do agree that over time we've come to rely heavily on simple, processed carbs for a great deal of our diet, along with foods much higher in the kinds of fat that were never available to our ancestors.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Many people find that they are more easily sated, and have more energy when they reduce thier carbs. There is a limit to how many anyone should be eating in a given day, anyways (and I know I was totally above those levels before I can here).
    One thing I have noticed in your story was that you were replacing your carbs with proteins (not a bad thing to do). Meats, cheeses, other protein rich foods will help you feel full and keep you sated for far longer than carbs will. The meals you had while on vacation would of had a great combination of protein and complex carbs (from the veggies). I suspect if you eat like that more often than you don't you will feel healthier, happier (excess insulin makes one feel tired and down), and you'll find it easier to stay with in your calories.
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Keep in mind low carb means different things to everyone. Some people only allow themselves 30 carbs a day where someone else might have 200 and consider that low carb. It depends on your overall calorie intake and what you are trying to achieve.

Personally, I have my carbs set at 40% which for me is low carb. This reduces my overall carb intake but stills allow me to eat small portions of bread or items higher in carbs. Most of my carbs come from fruit so I'm not too concerned about it. My goal is for this to be a lifestyle change so if I drastically reduce carbs, how long do you think I can maintain that? Not very long.

As others have said, you need to do what works best for you.