Getting Back to the Basics.

Options
I'm having a hard time getting back on track, so I've been looking through some of my old weightloss tools. I guess I'm just not sure where to begin again. I'm not going back to them, but I did L.A. Weightloss a few years ago and they were very persistant with the L.A. Bars. My question to you is are protein bars for snacks a must? I know they had to have something for you to spend money on, but do you have more success having one or two throughout the day? Some people like the Luna and Cliff bars and others stick with the shakes. I also notice people do the shakes only if they workout. I'm sure I'm making this more complicated than it has to be, but I just need clarification. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I thought about getting some of those bars for snacks, but then I look at the ingredients - half of which I can't even pronounce and figured I'd be better off with healthy real choices for snack foods, like some apple slices dipped in nut butter, cheese, almonds, celery sticks with some cream cheese or almond butter. Something crunchy with a bit of good fats is great for satisfying between meals.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like to have a bar here or there--mostly if I'm out and about and need to eat something so I don't binge on a drive-thru! I see a lot of people like to drink a ton of shakes (protein) I just can't imagine that it could be good for you to supplement with all protein shakes/bars in place of fruits/veggies/proteins. I could be wrong but I can't imagine you'd want to eat protein shakes forever.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about LA weightloss. To me basics are cardio and weight training and eating to accomodate your active again body. I do not like protein bars. I do invest in protein powder as a supplement. I eat more on days I do weights.
  • muayqis
    Options
    IMO:
    The benefit of shakes straight after a workout is that it's absorbed easily, and so repairs the damage from your workout more quickly than real food.

With Regard To Bars:
    I think of them as 'treats' and not a replacement for real food. They're typically full of artificial sweeteners and are a shdload of calories. Typically over 200kcals
    Instead of a 'protien bar' you could have a handful of nuts, or a small snack of veggies and dad animal. mmmm: Real Food
  • Jelly1967
    Jelly1967 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I tried doing the protein shakes for awhile and I occasionally eat a kind bar. For me, it just didn't work. It did NOT stick with me the way real food does. I could have a shake with 25 grams protein for breakfast and feel hungry not too long after(or maybe not even hungry but craving food). I can eat my egg on toast with cheese for (sprouted grain toast) around 12 grams of protein and feel full until lunch. I just felt like for me, my body understood even if there was a ton of powdered protein, it wasn't real food.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't follow an exact weight loss plan but from what I've read (and I've read a lot), nothing is 100% necessary....especially protein bars!

I've only had a couple because they were sent free to my house. I will probably buy some protein bar/shake for the future when I start working but only as a back up. I'd rather eat food then a protein bar but I find them good for if you're out for the day and forgot to pack real food.