How would you count this?

Options
I have started to officiate girl's lacrosse games. Each game will be a combination of running, walking and sprinting for one hour. How do you think I should calculate the exercise calories? I do not have, and can't afford to get one right now, one of those activity monitors. I do realize that I won't get exact calories, but I am just looking for the best way to estimate.
Thanks!

Replies

• calisunrise
    Options
    try circuit training
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I have started to officiate girl's lacrosse games. Each game will be a combination of running, walking and sprinting for one hour. How do you think I should calculate the exercise calories? I do not have, and can't afford to get one right now, one of those activity monitors. I do realize that I won't get exact calories, but I am just looking for the best way to estimate.
    Thanks!

Approximately 520 calories for an hour's worth of Lacrosse.

The following site might be of use to you, it shows approximate calories burned for various activities:

http://www.bootsdiets.com/calories_burned/team_sports/team_sports.html
  • FitMama2Three
    FitMama2Three Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would call that run/walk intervals and I found a link that calculates it.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/calories_burned.asp
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    interval training? which emphasizes constant low level o/p interpersed with high level o/p
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

The following site might be of use to you, it shows approximate calories burned for various activities:

That is for a game. he is officiating. And trust me when I say that lacrosse burns more calories than that an hour. You have a lot of equipment on your upper body, not much on your legs so they are working extra hard. Not to mention the punishment that you take from being hit

Officiating, Id say it depends on the pace of the game. Whats the age group your officiating?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    try circuit training

too high. if you must log it, put it down as a one hour walk. that would be around the right amount of cals, IMO
  • __Di__
    Options
    Thanks!

That is for a game. he is officiating. And trust me when I say that lacrosse burns more calories than that an hour. You have a lot of equipment on your upper body, not much on your legs so they are working extra hard. Not to mention the punishment that you take from being hit

Officiating, Id say it depends on the pace of the game. Whats the age group your officiating?

You don't consider 520 calories in one hour a lot then?

Strange, because it is a hell of a lot.

ps getting hit, why would that burn calories?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how bout not log it and just increase your activity level ...or are you not using a TDEE calculation for your cals...

I think things like this should not be logged as it is just a part of normal active life...
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in seeing the results of this as well. I officiate high school baseball, softball and football and I know that there is a lot of movement involved in all sports (except when I am behind the plate for baseball and softball). I know that MFP has softball at about 397 calories for an hour but I'm not sure how that was calculated so I'm not sure if I would rely on that when logging. Maybe I will have to breakdown and get a heart rate monitor to see if it is more accurate. The season starts next month so I will start shopping soon.
  • lmkaks
    lmkaks Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am a woman, and it is high school girls lax. I am NOT playing and there are no pads involved. It is pretty quick and a pretty high level.

I know that once I am out on the field it is quite a bit of activity.

I do not go by TDEE (or TDDE whatever it is) I just go by this site. Normally, I do not make a point to eat back my exercise calories, but if I go over it is nice to know I have some room.

i did see officiating for basketball and softball. I think lax is more activity than softball but maybe not as much as basketball? I am not sure.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

I didn't say it wasn't a lot...Im saying that you definitely burn more. If it's competitive- honestly probably about 800
    Why does getting hit burn calories? hmm riddle me this- if you were running, imagine someone constantly bumping into you the entire way and throwing off course. Wouldn't you burn more calories than running in just straight line? I meant it in two ways, you hitting people and avoiding getting hit.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I would spend $60 on a Fitbit Zip and never again worry about how badly I'm estimating the games.
  • __Di__
    Options
    Thanks!

I didn't say it wasn't a lot...Im saying that you definitely burn more. If it's competitive- honestly probably about 800
    Why does getting hit burn calories? hmm riddle me this- if you were running, imagine someone constantly bumping into you the entire way and throwing off course. Wouldn't you burn more calories than running in just straight line? I meant it in two ways, you hitting people and avoiding getting hit.

No, because you are stopping and starting and also slowing down causes the heartbeat to change, which affects the calories burned.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I would spend $60 on a Fitbit Zip and never again worry about how badly I'm estimating the games.

This would be a waste of money
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How often are you doing it? What about not tracking it and just eating an extra 100-200 calories that day if you feel you need it. If it slows your loss, try something else, if it doesn't, there you go.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

This would be a waste of money

Why?
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I don't know what a fitbit is, but I would wear a heart rate monitor with a chest strap then you just press go and at the end it tells you what you have burned