tip on getting rid of excess water weight

Options
I am very sensitive to sodium...I can retain 5 or 6 pounds of excess water weight from consuming too much. Alot of people think you retain water from too much sodium and/or not enough water. True..you will retain water if you don't get enough water...but the real science relating to sodium and water retetnion is the sodium and potassium balance. Fruits and vegetables are loaded in potassium..but some of us don't get enough..or the ratio between sodium and potassium is off. The other day I wanted to make some healthy oven french fries...so I went to the store to buy a salt substitute. Before I bought it, i looked at the nutrition label... 0% sodium...and 1/4 of a teaspoon = 17% DV of potassium!!!! So I had an idea...and tried it...at two different times I took a big glass of water and mixed in 1/4 of a teaspoon of the salt sub.... so I got an extra "34%" for the day just from that. I weigh myself everyday...and in 3 days I have lost 2.5 pounds...and based on my working out calorie intake (i always do the same routine on certain days) I should only be down by .8-1 pound tops...I never just magically lose 2.5 pounds in 3 days unless its TOM.. (lol). So anyways...if you think you get way more sodium than potassium...try this :) But don't overdo it! as in don't go over the nutritional DV!

Replies

• jenz_plan
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I actually have the same problem with sodium..i retain water bad! Plus there have been several times where I am low in potassium so this would be a double win for me.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat a banana, but that is a pretty good tip
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a potassium pill every day and try to keep my sodium down since I bloat like crazy when I go over.
  • beskimoosh
    beskimoosh Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I always struggle with water weight, even though I eat loads of fruit and vegetables, so I might try upping my potassium, thanks!
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thats really neat to know. My weight went up 3lbs this week and I was starting to freak out and then today it was back to normal. I haven't been eating much fruit the last few days (generally bananas, kiwi, ect) so it would make sense that the potassium makes a difference.
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yeah you guys should totally try it :) it's hard to eat a butt load of veg's and fruits sometimes :(