Unexpected trip to Vegas (warning-disturbing)

Options
A horrible event is taking us to Vegas, my husbands cousin's 16 month old baby was murdered.

Sorry for the disturbing news.

We are going to go in our motorhome.

I have to get ready really quick and havent had time to really think about how to make and pack smart choices.

And is this really even worth worring about during a time of such loss.

My weight log last year shows I consistently gained weight on every special occasion possible, holidays, vacations, househuests, funerals etc., and my goal this year was to try and stop doing that.

I have been so preoccupied since getting this news, I feel like my control is slipping away, like my feet are not on the ground.

Tell me something so I can check in while I am gone and when I get back and try to keep my head screwed on straight.

Replies

• cuddlyrunner
    cuddlyrunner Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    have sent you a pm-thoughts are with you
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for the tragic loss. I can't even imagine. No real advice, sorry, but know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Have a safe journey.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    A horrible event is taking us to Vegas, my husbands cousin's 14 month old baby was murdered.

Sorry for the disturbing news.

We are going to go in our motorhome.

I have to get ready really quick and havent had time to really think about how to make and pack smart choices.

And is this really even worth worring about during a time of such loss.

My weight log last year shows I consistently gained weight on every special occasion possible, holidays, vacations, househuests, funerals etc., and my goal this year was to try and stop doing that.

I have been so preoccupied since getting this news, I feel like my control is slipping away, like my feet are not on the ground.

Tell me something so I can check in while I am gone and when I get back and try to keep my head screwed on straight.
    I am so sorry for your horrible loss. Words can not express. I know what you mean I can track every weight gain in my middle and high school years to a death followed by a funeral with food and tons of emotional eating. Try to stay on track you need to be healthy to deal. Take some easy to grab snacks like some granola bars, 100 cal snacks, trail mix pay attention to your choices and go for protein when you can. Drink lots of water. We are all praying for you and your fam.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Grab easy things within reach...fruits....veggies...yogurt if you have any...cheese sticks...nuts...things you can put in a cooler that will keep. Take deep breaths. And just know that sometimes it is better to not worry about things like this. Sometimes it is okay to just do what needs to be done without the added stress of attempting to eat perfectly. Try to make good food decisions when you can but don't beat yourself up about it if you don't. That is the least of your worries right now.

I am so sorry. Wow.
  • hmwth
    hmwth Posts: 25
    Options
    Your priority right now is to support your family. Don't worry about the diet, it is not important right now.
    Eat to give yourself strength to look after others. God Bless
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    Oh, how horrible. I'm so sorry for your family.

For one thing, I guess I would say is don't be so preoccupied with food / eating that you can't be there for your husband and his family. On the other hand, in times of stress and chaos, I do find it helpful to remind myself that my eating is one thing (sometimes the ONLY thing!) that I DO have control over, so it helps me to feel a little better to eat 'on plan'. I'd say just do what you need to do while you're there.

Will be thinking about you. Take care and safe travels.
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am terribly sorry that you and your family are in the midst of this tragedy!! You are not foolish to think about food choices. It is important to take care of yourself even during the worst of times- perhaps even more so!! Having your "head on straight" is going to happen more easily if you fuel yourself with healthy foods.

Grab fruits, popcorn, cereals, sugar free puddings...anything that is a healthy snack to get started on the road. If possible, stop at a grocery store or convenience store and grab pre-made healthy items that you don't have to cook: protein bars, baked chips, dried fruits, apples, shelf stable single serve fat free milk or soy milk, etc.

We recently suffered a major personal tragedy in our own lives a few months ago - it actually helped me to have a distraction, such as eating healthy so that at least I had control over something. Drive safely and you will be in my thoughts and prayers.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    That is a good point.

Thanks for tips, I am stopping by the store.

I didnt even think of packing healthy snacks, I am so discombobulated.

And I wont worry about it when I am at a family meal nor beat myself up over it. Just make healthy choices.

I just know it is going to be a devastating event.

Child abuse is rampant out there.

I had no idea just how so until this happened to my family.

In trying to get news about the event I stumbled upon hundreds of similar stories.

It is just unbelievable.

I never even had the chance to meet the baby.

Just the thought of what the family is going through is just tearing me up.

Thanks again, I knew you would all help me get in check.

I am not going to give that murderer the power to control my health.
  • Buzzkitty1
    Buzzkitty1 Posts: 134
    Options
    I am so sorry for your farmily's loss. Take care of yourself. I trust that you can get through this and make good choices. (((hugs))) How very sad.
  • tlilly80
    tlilly80 Posts: 27
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. Your family is in my prayers.

Remember that (at least around where I live)...you can find yogurt, fruit, and salads at the Convenience store if push comes to shove.
  • LAgal
    LAgal Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness. I am so sorry you and your family are going through this tradgey. All of you will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please have a safe trip. Just know, you can always log in here and have support from MFP!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I saw this on the news (I live in Vegas) and I am always in shock when I hear of people hurting sweet babies. I have 2 girls, a 3 yr old and a 14 month old. I couldn't imagine hurting my babies. I am so sorry for your loss. Your niece is a beautiful little girl. I can't imagine the pain your feeling is dealing with.

As far as food, there are lots of grocery stores and healthy places to eat in LV. Bring healthy snacks in your RV.
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for you loss. In times like these we tend to feel like everything is out of our control. So you may want to try to control one aspect of the situation so you don't feel so lost. Try to control of what you choose to eat. If you choose to eat something not so good don't beat yourself up just remember that you are controlling that one little aspect of your life. For me a little control helps me not feel so completely overwhelmed. Just my thoughts. Good luck and I am sending positive thoughts and feelings your way
  • Tigermadstanley
    Options
    I don't know what to say. This is so tragic. You are so right to not let the murderer win. Take care of yourself and your family. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Blessings,
    Amanda x
  • bsparks81
    bsparks81 Posts: 29
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss. I'll say a prayer for you and your family.
  • NewBeginning2010
    NewBeginning2010 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    sent you a pm about the baby....i live in vegas...
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    lucky1ns- words are truly inadequate to express how tragic this death is for you & your family. you will all be in my prayers. And your comment about not even thinking about healthy snacks is sooo true. that is not what you are thinking about right now, and really not where your focus needs to be. this time is for family.

dieting is a lifetime journey. & guess what, it will still need attention in a week. so forgive yourself a few days. i mean you can pick healthier menu items than the triple burger, fries & shake; but don't stress.

offer to take a walk with those who need it or a trip to the park with young family members who just cannot sit around for hours. drink plenty of water. above all, wrap yourself in the caring & support of family. take care- katie