Whole wheat turkey lasagna!

Options
samantha1242
samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
While I'm making my lasagna, I decided to share the recipe just incase anyone is looking for a yummy and hearty whole wheat lasagne. Perfect for freezing and taking to work for lunch with a side salad. I tend to have little time so I cut some corners where I can and know it won't hurt the taste.

Ingredients:
Pkg of extra lean ground turkey (or whatever meat you would like)
1 yellow or white onion - chopped
5 cloves of garlic - chopped (I LOVE garlic, put as much as you want in)
1 red bell pepper chopped (or any colour)
3 mushrooms chopped
Tsp olive oil
400g container part skim ricotta
Fresh bunch of spinach (or frozen) chopped
Fresh basil (a must!) you can add other spices such as oregano if you wish.
Catelli healthy harvest whole wheat lasagna noodles (I use only 13 noodles) you can use any kind you want, though. Or you can use sliced zucchini or eggplant instead of noodles (GF option)
Pepper & sea salt (mines spicy pepper sea salt)
Italian light shredded cheese pkg from Kraft (only because I am way too lazy to shred cheese) (3/4 pkg used in mine)
1 large can of crushed tomato (again, lazy. You can blend fresh tomato)

Sauté the garlic, onions, pepper, mushroom with olive oil in large pan/pot. Add meat and pinch of sea salt to pan and cook till meat is done. Add the crushed tomato and fresh basil and pepper and simmer for 30-40 minutes.

Bring salted water to boil and cook noodles while sauce is simmering.

Blend in a separate bowl the chopped spinach and ricotta. Some people use egg as a binder, I feel it's not necessary. Up to you.

Layer sauce, noodles then ricotta cheese mixture in casserole dish, adding cheese whenever (I make it all up as I go). Top with sauce and cheese. Bake at 375 F for 40-60 minutes. Cover with foil to avoid cheese burnage if you'd like, if so then remove for the last 10 minutes of baking. I cook mine uncovered cause I like the top a bit crunchy.

Cool, cut and serve. I cut mine into 8 pieces which each comes out to around (depending on weights of ingredients) 479 calories, 17 g fat, 48g carbs, 7g sugar and 35g protein. These pieces are pretty large, so you could cut into smaller pieces if you wish to lower the calories, fat etc. I freeze mine and use them for take to work meals.

Enjoy!

Replies