Eliminate the Word: Should

Options
Taken from Dr. Gould email. Author of Shrink Yourself: The End of Emotional Eating.

I read the book. Didn't like it since it was trying to lead you into signing up for their paid program. But get emails from them every few weeks and find them quite interesting:

Do you hear a voice in your head that says things like, "you should've exercised today," or "you shouldn't have eaten that?" If so, this week's tip is for you.

The word "should" is defined as a word used to indicate obligation, duty, or correctness, typically when criticizing someone's actions. When you hear the word "should" in your head you can be sure that you're being overly critical of yourself. "Should" is never the best motivation for eating well or exercising. It connotes something that is expected of you but that you don't really want to do. And no one likes doing something just because they "should". So, if you're not going to take right actions because you "should," what else can you use to motivate you? It's better to motivate yourself by viewing eating well and exercising as loving self-caring actions. Remember how empowered you feel when you make those kinds of choices. Don't do the right thing because you "should." Do the right thing because it's what you deserve.

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    OK tomorrow morning I will try to tell myself "I really WANT TO get up and go to work right now"

:smile:
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    OK tomorrow morning I will try to tell myself "I really WANT TO get up and go to work right now"

:smile:

that's the spirit. you are halfway already to a half empty glass. lol.