Any PCOS victims?

Options
Are there any PCOS victims here? I know it is harder for us to lose weight than the average woman, but I am sticking to dieting as much as I possibly can. Do you guys have any suggestions for me? What foods were successful with you and unsuccessful? Any workouts or food that has helped you with ovary pain? Thanks for reading!!

Replies

• katybateman
    Options
    hi i have pcos aswell
    i have found taht the essiest way for me to lose weight is herbal life and only eating fruit and veg however i do sometimes eat bread and pasta which i know is noughty,

i started my diet on the 1st of december and i have lost just over 4 stone so far so seems to work

for the overy pain i try to do as much excersise and keep my self busy that way i can try to ignore it dance seems to help the most. i have my food diary oopen to the public feel free to add me and have a look
    xxxx
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Hi! yes, there are tons on here with PCOS, I've gotten ideas and tips from other woman with it, through this site. Outside of MFP I only know 2 people with it. It is harder for us with it to drop the weight. I personally started just by eating healthier and walking 3-5 times a week. I was only able to walk about 15 minutes at 1st. Now if I go for a walk I can go for an hour, sometimes longer. I also started doing Zumba, this has been my main exercise, I don't go to a gym, too poor to pay monthly fees. I basically live in a one bedroom apartment with my husband, so can't exercise at home. I found a free zumba class held at a local church, it meets 3x a week. I walk and eat right. As far as diet goes I try to keep to a low-glucose diet or a diabetic diet. I take my vitamins every morning, multivitamin, vitamin d, co-q10, krill oil, cinnamon, alpha-lipoic acid, and baby aspirin. Here is a great article I found about taking control of your PCOS.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/20-simple-steps-you-can-take-to-control-polycystic-ovarian-syndrome-pcos-1
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what's specific to PCOS... but I've lost 8 lb since the middle of February... here is what I'm taking:

Once a week:

Magnesium
    Vitamin D
    Fish Oil
    Iron
    B6
    Total Energy Whole Food Multi-Vitamin
    Cinnamon (not tablet... just the Ceylon Cinnamon in powder form)

...and my doctor just gave me a B12 injection.
  • amandaneverfails
    amandaneverfails Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've suspected that I have PCOS for quite awhile. Finally going in to the doctor to try to get formally diagnosed later this week. :-/
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Lower carbs diets tend to work best for people with PCOS. I've always had the best losses while watching carbs... I try to eat whole grains most of the time if I have to have bread or pasta.

Other than that, lots of veggies, protein and fruit in moderation!
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My sister, niece and I all have PCOS. Basically I have set my carbs to under 185g a day and try to keep ALL carbs (including fruits and all other sugars) under that. Lots of times I am only under the 200g mark.

Mainly it's about watching the carbs and living a diabetic diet or a low Glycemic index diet for the rest of your life as well as exercise. I am not saying that every once in a while you can't have a treat or mashed potatoes... just don't make your "carbohydrate" treats everyday or more than once a week.

This is what I try to live by and I will admit it can be hard, I am a stress eater and I love my chocolate and comfort food...
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Me too, but I don't think I'm a victim!!
    I Struggled to lose weight but Intermittent fasting /5:2 seems to work for me!!
    I eat lots of fish and vegetables!
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm not a victim but I do have PCOS.

The key for me is sugar. Dropped it all and I felt so much better. I'm not on meds so my healing is all due to food. I finally have a regular period and I rarely get cysts anymore. Weight isn't easy to shed for sure.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. I've been working with a naturopath to sort it out. My physician just wanted to put me on birthcontrol. I watch my carbs.... no white sugar, white flour, white rice or white potatoes for sure. I actually avoid wheat all together because it's too hard for me to digest. I talk vitex (chasety berry in my green tea everyday). I watch all sugar unless its from fruits and veggies. I talk baths in epsom salts for magnesium. I take high doses of the B complex 2 X 100mg each daily at separate meals. I take omega 3s as well. I quit dairy... for me dairy messes with my hormones even more. I read on the net that dairy often is not good for women with PCOS. Anyway I had great success with no dairy, it took several weeks to see results, but now all my acne is gone, bloating is gone, and I lose weight easier. Please feel free to add me we can fight it together.
  • lilynblue
    lilynblue Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Another one here with the dreaded PCOS. I am new to this but my goal is to limit my processed foods, basically eat clean, and low carb. I know many women with PCOS have had success with the paleo/primal diet, but it is too strict for me to stick with at this time. I can't speak to the ovary pain, as that is not a bothersome symptom of mine. Good luck in your journey!
  • laurie41565
    laurie41565 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been doing lower carb and staying away from all white processed flours, pasta and sugar. I don't add any sugar to any foods or eat any sweets. The only sugar I get during the day is what is in my food/fruit naturally. I have been trying to stay under 35 grams a day. Of course for the special occasion I will not deprive myself if I want some ice cream or cake but that will only be special occasions. I have been weight lifting and I have seen quite a difference with this. Not so much as losing alot of weight but losing inches and that is what I care about the most. I do all kinds of Beachbody programs. Love them. Currently doing Les Mills Pump and Les Mills Combat. Next I will be doing ChaleanExtreme. I work out at home every day between 30 minutes and 1 1/2 hours depending what dvd is on the schedule.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm not a victim... I kicked PCOS's butt with now carbs that aren't from fruit or vegs....
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not a victim of PCOS. I have it, but I would never consider myself a victim.

I'm losing weight. I eat a low carb, paleo/primal diet, eat 3 meals a day, exercise reasonably by lifting weights and swinging my kettlebells. I walk everywhere, sometimes ride my bike if the weather cooperates.

I'm not on any sort of medications for PCOS at this point, and am hoping to avoid that by taking care of myself.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I now have PCOS symptoms under control.I found making exercise (walking/JM 30DS/jogging) a part of my everyday life just like I do brushing my teeth,taking showers etc has helped BIG time.

I didin't and don't follow a "diet" I just have healthier eating habits.Food wise I eat things in moderation and cut out soda even diet soda.NO soda tastes as good as knowing I am healing my body and being called "tiny" now is a bonus lol

My macros are 40% protein 30% carbs 30% fat (usually don't eat the full 30% of fat and carbs though) my sugar intake is 20-24mg and sodium is usually 1,500-2000mg.

Best of luck doll!!
  • natesangel
    natesangel Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    just had to chime in, while i know and respect everyone is different, here is me. i have pcos, {insulin retention and graves (thyroid)} having great success with eat more to weigh less, inches are coming off, i eat what i like without too much thought to anything specific (try and get at least a salad, that dark green works great with the tummy) take my metformin and bust out some jillian 3-6 days a week. good luck and don't give up!
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Staying off of white sugar helps me lose weight big time.
  • SL121
    SL121 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I consider myself a victim of PCOS due to the heavy symptoms I experience. I'm trying to manage it with my diet. I've been eating pretty healthy lately and I hope to continue to eat healthy. I've noticed that since the weight loss I have been experiencing ovary pain. Do you guys have any suggestions or similar experience with it?
  • keshia0404
    Options
    I have had PCOS since I was 12 Im not about 23 and deal with every symptom there is. Its very frustrating Ive always been up and down with my weight but currently at my highest I wasnt even this big when I gave birth twice :/ Im 5"2 and 182lbs Ive been working out almost every day not and extreme work out but I try to get in atleast a half hour of walking a day on the treadmill I lost 4 pounds in december and since gained 1 back and now its like Im stuck I just dont know what to do I just want to cry and my appearance isnt helping much since I get the acne facial hair and hair loss plus on top of it the depression.
  • SL121
    SL121 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have had PCOS since I was 12 Im not about 23 and deal with every symptom there is. Its very frustrating Ive always been up and down with my weight but currently at my highest I wasnt even this big when I gave birth twice :/ Im 5"2 and 182lbs Ive been working out almost every day not and extreme work out but I try to get in atleast a half hour of walking a day on the treadmill I lost 4 pounds in december and since gained 1 back and now its like Im stuck I just dont know what to do I just want to cry and my appearance isnt helping much since I get the acne facial hair and hair loss plus on top of it the depression.

I know what you mean. I deal with every single symptom for PCOS as well and it sucks. It really is hard losing weight for us. I'm getting the same thing with the acne, facial hair, and hair loss. Right now my biggest concern is the pain I have to deal with on my ovaries. I'm hoping this endocrinologist that I am seeing next month gives me some answers on the best way to lose weight. I'm also going to try some of the suggestions on this forum as well. I know a lot of the posts state to stay away from carbs but I am such a carb lover it is hard to completely stay away. I'm going to try and limit the carb intake per week and hopefully that makes a difference. I've been dealing with weight gain for the last 3 or 4 years and I'm at my highest. I've been dieting for the last 4 weeks and have only lost about 5 pounds. I haven't been working out as much as I could be due to my busy lifestyle, but I'm sure if I was to workout more that weight loss would be higher.

I hope you find some encouragement with your weight loss because not only is it hard to lose weight, it's even harder when you're feeling low about your appearance. I saw your profile picture and you're gorgeous :) .There are a lot of people here who have given me some great ideas on how to manage my PCOS and I hope some of those suggestions help you.
  • acdk207
    acdk207 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too, not really sure what I am supposed to be doing as far as dieting, but I am on Metformin to try and help with it (hubby and I have been trying to have a baby). Since I started the medication in Dec 2011, I have lost 30 pounds. As I do not have any suggestions for you, its comforting to find someone else going though it.