treadmill dizziness

Options
I usually do my cardio on the elliptical machine but decided I should try switching things up and got on the treadmill. I got a bit dizzy and never went over a moderate paced walking speed because I felt so uncomfortable. When I got off it, it felt like the room kept moving for five minutes afterwards. I thought I was going to fall down if I wasn't careful!! Never had any inner ear problems so I'm not sure if this is a body's learning curve type thing, or if I am just a weirdo and sensitive. Anybody else feel this way?

Replies

• nayasmith50
    Options
    yeah I've felt that way plenty of times. no your not a weirdo and what i sometimes do is just sit down for a second.
  • KenzDoc
    KenzDoc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have never gotten dizzy while ON the treadmill. I've had issues with dizziness getting off the treadmill though. Usually, I stand still for a minute before stepping down. It seems to help and I walk the rest of the issues off (around the room before going upstairs). It seems like the more I use the treadmill, the dizziness is less of an issue.

Not sure if this is common or not.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I always do the cool down session and that seems to help. I also make sure I'm drinking water when I'm on it. I've noticed that if I'm dehydrated I tend to get dizzy. I try to drink lots prior to make sure my body is good to go.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/304107-dizzy-treadmill/

Here's an article that talks about dizziness on the treadmill and causes for it.

Monica
  • WoWkat
    WoWkat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I get very dizzy on a treadmill. I also find that I can't run very far. I can barely make it a mile on a treadmill without being exhausted and wanting to give up (no matter how slow the pace), but if I run outside, I can run for miles.

I'm a believer that I'm just not cut out for treadmills. Which is unfortunate, as I live in a VERY hilly area, aptly named Mountain Park. And it's in Oregon, so it is usually raining. But I have to run outside, on the steep hills, in the rain, otherwise I just can't do it at all.

If you come up with a cure for the dizziness please share! I think I must look down too often and that throws me off. When I run outside I get lost in my thoughts and the scenery, and it helps the time fly by - inside is just so boring. But I'd like to be able to overcome that boredom and stay dry.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I've never experienced this but some people say they feel a weird sensation when they get off it for a few minutes when they start using one. As well, make sure you're properly hydrated and breathe properly as well. Not breathing correctly causes me to be slightly dizzy during a run
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    I know the articles I posted mentioned vertigo being caused by your ears and your body being confused as it thinks you're in motion still when you get off of the treadmill. I suspect it's the ears that are the key to this.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    i will sometimes get dizzy if i look down for a while. i have to remind myself to look forward. that usually helps me.
  • sarrymerry
    sarrymerry Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    wow thanks everybody! you've all been super helpful! I did look down a ton, trying to make sure I was centered and whatnot, so I'll try it again without doing that and make sure I'm properly hydrated! :)
  • ncl1313
    ncl1313 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I do a couple stretches before I hop down which has helped me with the dizziness.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I've had that happen ON the treadmill and had to jump off so i didn't faint but it was from improper eating habits and was many years ago but scary enough that i remember it as if it was yesterday.