What to eat when you're under your calorie goal?

2»

Replies

• BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    As a professional counselor...this may sound like an oxymoron..but "healthy nuts".
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    My favorite high calorie snack is triscuits (120 cals for 6) and smuckers natural peanut butter (200 cals for 2 tablespoons). That's 320 good cals right there and let's face it...I rarely only have 6 triscuits :)

Almonds are also great as someone else mentioend - I need some flavor so I opt for the dark chocolate dry roasted (150 cals for an ounce).

An avocado sliced up with a dash of sea salt and some pepper - delicious and 250 cals. Yum.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Google calorie dense foods. Nuts, olive oil, cheese, hummus...
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    you need to NET at least 1200. So if you are burning 600 at the gym, you need to eat at least a total of 1800 to stay within a healthy range. If i know i'm going to be having a day where i'm going to burn more than usual, i try to plan for it throughout the day and take in some peanut butter, almonds, protein shakes. Add avocado to a salad or sandwich.
  • houlenberg
    houlenberg Posts: 107 Member
    I'm having this problem, too. When I need to get more calories in, I eat almonds, or an apple with some PB2, protein bar, olives with some feta, etc. They're all healthy, good protein/fat sources and they're filling, too.
  • I gained it just by eating whatever I wanted to basically. But since I've started losing it, I'm eating way more than I used to, just much lower-calorie foods. :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Beer or wine helps too :)
  • I am new and have the exact same trouble every day. I know need to do some food adjusting. I do eat pretty healthy and count everything I eat. Burn an easy 600-800 calories at the gym everyday so that kills me hitting my calorie goal of 1200 calories pretty much every day. I lost 7 lbs in the first 2 weeks I started. Then gained 3 lbs back and have no clue how or why. very defeating and frustrating. So I am seeing nuts, peanut butter etc. I feel like I need to cut out carbs. Seems to get close to carb goal with Special K every morning. Rambling now but frustrated I worked so hard the last 2 weeks and got psyched I lost the 7 lb loss then gained 3 back. What am I doing wrong? I am really ready and committed to this. Just feel a bit lost in the quest.
  • I am new and have the exact same trouble every day. I know need to do some food adjusting. I do eat pretty healthy and count everything I eat. Burn an easy 600-800 calories at the gym everyday so that kills me hitting my calorie goal of 1200 calories pretty much every day. I lost 7 lbs in the first 2 weeks I started. Then gained 3 lbs back and have no clue how or why. very defeating and frustrating. So I am seeing nuts, peanut butter etc. I feel like I need to cut out carbs. Seems to get close to carb goal with Special K every morning. Rambling now but frustrated I worked so hard the last 2 weeks and got psyched I lost the 7 lb loss then gained 3 back. What am I doing wrong? I am really ready and committed to this. Just feel a bit lost in the quest.

Almost the EXACT same thing happened to me, I lost 7 pounds in my first two weeks and then I just randomly gained 4 of them back one day. I have no idea what's happening but I'm trying my hardest to adjust my diet in this third week to something that will start working for me again.
  • petitegreek
    petitegreek Posts: 144 Member
    I'm having the same problem as you are. I exercise 4-5 days a week, and when I do, I burn at least 600 calories. Sometimes my net calories only end up being 400-500 for the day. After reading these posts, I need to get out of this mindset and be okay with seeing a negative calorie amount (showing that I have gone over for the day). I usually freak out if I have over 1,200 calories... :/
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    cheese and salami is good with a Protein Shake