being looked down upon

Options
do you guys sometime feel looked down upon because of your weight? like people feel bad for you in a way. im 5'7 273 lbs and im morbidley obese. it feels that people look down on me because im obese. does anybody else feel that way or is it just me being paranoid?

Replies

• FlannelMothman
    FlannelMothman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I feel looked-down upon all the time, and typically I feel that way because of myself... If you're at the gym and feel that way, don't, because I'm 100lbs lighter than you and I would feel proud of you for working on yourself - but you gotta do it for yourself. If you're doing it for them, they've already won. You gotta do you.
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    People will look down on you for any reason they can perceive or imagine. For me, a "healthy" weight seems like an unattainable goal, but I'm more worried about how I feel than whether or not I make others uncomfortable.
  • HungryKoala
    Options
    Honestly, no. If someone said something (so far no one has, but I think the HUGE TATAS stop em... seriously, I could knock em out with a beub.) I'd just say something meaner. *smiles sweetly*

Seriously though, people are people who are peoplin' so no point in looking down or LETTING others look down on you.
  • PakiBoom
    PakiBoom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't Worry Be Happy :)
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Focus on who you are as a person and who cares what people think of you.
  • chelsealynneh
    Options
    Just focus on yourself and your goals. You do not wake up everyday to impress everyone else. The only persons thoughts that matter are yours. Keep your head up and carry it with confidence:)
  • Deloresbolt
    Deloresbolt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are being paranoid!. I am 61 and weigh 246 at the moment. People are unkind, yes, say stupid things, like oh you would look so much nicer if you would just loose some weight. Anyone that is over weight and says they haven't heard, seen or felt like people don't like the way you look, are lying to themselves. Hang in there. You have a whole world of people that will support you in your quest to try to loose weight. We all have to be there for one another!
  • KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    do you guys sometime feel looked down upon because of your weight? like people feel bad for you in a way. im 5'7 273 lbs and im morbidley obese. it feels that people look down on me because im obese. does anybody else feel that way or is it just me being paranoid?

Yes I can relate to you totally. I have people looking down at me everyday at work, at gym and in the neighborhood. I am around 194lbs and morbidly obese. Even at gym people look as if I am an alien and how could I get so faaaattt? I understand that one should be confident about the person one is and not the looks etc but truth is reality bites. When people look at u like that, only one thought I get is - "Wish I Could just go invisible right away". Infact, I have thought about ending my life also many a times coz of this. Its more like a crime being obese and I wish I can be reborn in a nice slim way, where people like you...
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Show me a person without an imperfection and I will show you a living breathing fantasy. If you think someone is looking down at you, ignore them. Trust me, their "problem" may not be as visible as ours, but they have them. If someone says something about you should lose some weight, tell them you're working on it and move on. Like the posts above this one, your the only one that matters, let them think or say what they want. You're on this site, you're actively doing something about it, are they? Stay the course!
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    That post should have started "show me a person "without" an imperfection"!!!!
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. The reality of the world is that attractive people are treated better, and if you're overweight you would definitely be more attractive to be at a more healthy weight. Some people try to get lots of money or wear designer clothes try to become really funny or great at dancing or a good guitar player so that others will like them more... but fitness and health is so great because not only do you look better but you FEEL better so you no longer care so much what people think of you and you can get on with being who YOU want to be.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options

You could be paranoid. I feel that way as well but I know I'm paranoid.
    The only time it seems okay to be obese is if your funny as well
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Statistically speaking, we are looked down upon.

Discrimination against overweight people - particularly women - is as common as racial discrimination, according to a study by the Rudd Center for Food Policy & Obesity at Yale University.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/2008/03/31/36791.aspx
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I still feel that and I've apparently lost too much weight but still feel like the big guy
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Yeah. And if i do feel good theres someone in my fam to remind me that im ugly or fat. Gotta put it to the side and try to ignorr haters and love yourself.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm being looked down upon all the time: but that's because I'm short in a land of giants (seriously, i'm short for any standard but the Dutch are really tall).

however, yes. overweight and obese people - both men and women, although it affects women to a harsher degree - get paid less for the same job, for instance. I don't know if it's because people think that looking fit means that the person is controlled and organized, while looking fat therefore means that they're not; and as such a person that's not in charge of their own bodies cannot be trusted to do a job well...

Some of it is subconscious, I'm sure; but it doesn't meant that it doesn't happen. Just think about it: who was the last US president that was overweight?
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Bill Clinton was overweight....
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I've actually become one of those that look down upon those who are overweight. Sad as that may seem.

I was overweight for 20 years, so it's not like I don't know what it's like at all, but having lost all my weight & worked hard at getting there...I've become someone who sees a fat person and actually thinks "OMG they could try eating a bit better" (most of the time I see larger people eating some horrid junk from the take away shops along my way of walking cause it's a major shopping strip) and I kinda just think back & go...that was me once, I did it..... why can't they? Why are they shoving that extra bit of deep fried chicken into their body? Why are they waiting for the bus rather than walking those 2 stops I know they will get off at later? (yeah I know where most of them get on & off cause I used to catch the bus further than they did...till I started walking the 3km there instead)

Yep I look down upon fat people.... perhaps that is what is needed in a way. I now know I look great.... an I show it off. I want people to look at me..... before I wanted to hide along with all the other fat people. I kinda despise fat now, I lived with it for over half my life, it ruled what I did. So I guess looking down upon others that allow the same.... well I guess it's just nature.

Everyone looks down upon something or someone, anyone who says different....is a liar.
  • baybree
    Options
    I remember that feeling. Or u feel like people r staring. I'm 5 ft 6 I went from 145 lbs to 269 after my son waz born. I lost one hundred lbs in two yrs. Took me awhile. I've gained some of it back. Take it by dqy though. U cqn do it. What helped me was a total gym. I started an excercix on lowest setting and I ended up mqking it my hobby. I made a deal w myself. If I want to watch tv I have to workout. U can do it. I weigh 214 now because I gained some bqck. I wish I had that totql gym though. And like the things I did for working out was easy stuff . Like stretching or have a can of soup and lifting it. It was ackard at firat since I was paranoid of my roomies watching. But I just said shoot I can either jump into cold water or slowly get in and find out both ways that's its ok.