What is more important: nutrition or fitness?

Options
2»

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Weight loss, I would say nutrition. For all around health; both are very important; no one more than the other.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I agree that both are important but I would say nutrition is most important for weight loss. Get that right and you should have so much build up energy you will find yourself moving more without thinking about it.

So many people think they can get away will losing weight by eating less but not eating healthier, you can but not in the long run!

I got down to 10% body fat at about 153 lbs, from 30% at 210 lbs, by eating what most people will consider "unhealthy" food. :)
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity I want to know what you think is more important to focus on when starting a weight loss journey...

Good nutrition and diet?

Or fitness: strength training and cardio?

Of those two options diet and nutrition are the most important to weight-loss. As others have said, you can't out-train a bad diet.

That being said I personally think that the #1 most important thing to sustained weightloss is compliance. It doesn't matter if you eat perfectly or train perfectly if you only stick at it for 3 weeks... or 5 days out of the week. So for me training is equally important because that's what keeps me motivated to keep going, to persevere on those weeks when you just know you're not going to lose weight.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said, hands down nutrition. But that is if you are committed and disciplined with your diet.

For me I struggle with staying within my caloric goal at times due to binge eating problems, and struggle with my macros because I can stay fat free but overload on carbs almost always... Hence I need exercise to stay motivated because I'm always discouraged by my eating. It gives me something to focus on and feel better about myself and not give up. I also find adequate exercising (not excessively) curbs my appetite so yeah!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I would have to say nutrition but I have never had much luck with weight loss if I didn;t diet and workout together.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Weight loss formula IMO

85% nutrition - if you dont put it in you, it never has to come out.

10% exercise - great catalyst for weight loss, keeps you healthy and motivated to eat right.

5% luck - at the end of the day the body is gonna whatever the **** it feels like. You could do all the right things the whole week and end up losing nothing or even gaining. If you're lucky you will lose consistently every week, if not you'll have wildly variable numbers week to week (like me), but in the end it all averages out.