question for British people

Options
1235»

Replies

• twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    To be fair, zomoniac, British use quite a few of the measurements listed as American on this chart.
    We Americans are crazy enough to use it but the Brits INVENTED it!

that's ridiculous a nappy/diaper was invented and you used it doesn't mean you have to carry on using it as an adult does it? that's how the world develops
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Scales all the way otherwise how could I weigh 20g cheese? Not in a cup surely?

I'm in Canada, we're metric, and I have no idea how many miles I travel - kilometers, I understand - but for cooking I learned from my mom who was brought up using imperial measure. I don't have a kitchen scale, I use cups, etc. For cheese, if I was using it grated, I would measure in a cup. If not, I know 1 inch by 1 inch by 3 inches is one serving of cheese (I think 30g).

You want confusing travel, try living in the UK, where all fuel is sold by the litre, and all fuel consumption is measured in miles to the gallon. Trying to work out the cost of the journey you just did in your head is quite the feat of number juggling.
    It's no different in Canada, or it's worse for us old farts. I grew up with Imperial measurements and switched to metric.
    Add to that, that the US and Imperial measurements are different...a US gallon is smaller than an Imperial one. Hence, so are quarts, pints, etc.
    So here, we use a mix of both. Trademen's licenses are written/taught in metric (mm/metres), and pipe, wire, fittings are sold in imperial 1/2", 10 feet etc. I'm 5'-7" tall, weigh 164 lbs., live 25 km. from work. It takes 60 litres to fill my truck's gas tank which gets 25 miles to the gallon. When making wine/mead, you add 8g of yeast to 6 US or 5 imperial gallons...
    Oh ya, my wife's British and weighs 10 stone. She's trying to get down a few pounds. I'm just trying to lose 1 or 2 kilos more.
  • jennontheroad
    jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I asked the question originally.
    I am from Canada and understand and use the metric system for everything.
    However, I do not have a kitchen scale, and neither does anyone I know. I have never even seen a kitchen scale in any one's home, although they could be tucked away, I suppose.
    All my close friends cook and bake from scratch as we are health-minded people, and none use scales.
    When I follow a recipe I use American style standard measurements, or mL.

I think eventually I'll get a kitchen scale, for baking, and for measuring foods like cheese, which is hard to determine how much you're eating.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I use scales, because I have no idea what a "cup" measurement is.

Also, found out that what I was using as a "tablespoon" was actually a much larger dessert spoon. God damn spoons. Y U come in so many sizes and shapes?

This is incorrect. A tablespoon is around 15mls, a dessert spoon is around 10mls & a teaspoon is around 5mls. Have another look at your spoons!

She said a tablespoon was larger than a dessert spoon!

Yep, that's true - what's your point?
  • beattie1
    Options
    For grams it is best to use kitchen scales. However, after a little while of doing this I have started to be able to guess by eye particularly if it's foods I cook with on a regular basis.
    E.g. 1 tbsp = 5grams (random figures, not accurate to anything in particular)

Maybe what we call a teaspoon in the UK is called a tablespoon in the US? 1teaspoon would be about 5 grams of most things (spices for instance). A tablespoon is about 15 ml of liquid / grams of powder. I'd use a tablespoon to serve out a dish but not to eat with - it's too big to fit in most people's mouths comfortably!
  • beattie1
    Options
    OK, it's a clash of terminology again! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablespoon

"In the US and parts of Canada, a tablespoon is the largest type of spoon used for eating from a bowl. In the UK, Europe and most Commonwealth countries, a tablespoon is a type of large spoon usually used for serving. In countries where a tablespoon is a serving spoon, the nearest equivalent to the US tablespoon is either the dessert spoon or the soup spoon.

A tablespoonful, nominally the capacity of one tablespoon, is commonly used as a measure of volume in cooking. It is abbreviated as T, tb, tbs, tbsp, tblsp, or tblspn. The capacity of ordinary tablespoons is not regulated by law and is subject to considerable variation.

In the USA one tablespoon (measurement unit) is approximately 15 mL; the capacity of an actual tablespoon (dining utensil) ranges from 7 mL to 14 mL. In Australia one tablespoon (measurement unit) is 20 mL."

"Common tablespoons intended for use as cutlery (called dessert spoons in the UK, where a tablespoon is always a serving spoon) usually hold 7 mL to 14 mL,[5] considerably less than some tablespoons used for serving."
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I never knew US tablespoons were smaller than ours!!

OP - I recommend a digital "add and weigh" type of scale, where you can put the mixing bowl (or whatever) on the scale befre you put it on, zero the scale for each new ingredient and switch between liquid and dry measurements. I use a Salter one - its only me secong in 25 years (the first had a nasty accident with a hot hob :embarassed: ) and I use it for everything - especially cereal!
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    Yep, most homes will have a set of scales or a measuring cup. I have both, I use the scales when I want to know exactly what amount I'm eating but I will use the measuring cup when I'm just baking and want to have a rough idea. Usually when baking cakes or dough you can tell by the texture if it hasn't enough of something.

With certain things that you cook often you just get a feel for.

It's not really something I've thought about but in away I thought all kitchens would have a set of scales. I've heard cup used as a measurement before but I've only recently realised how much it mean as when I hear cup I always think of a tea cup which certainly holds a lot less than a cup when referred to in recipes.

P.S. I think I might be the one and only Brit up at this time.

yes, what on earth were you doing up in the middle of the night :happy:
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    Scales all the way otherwise how could I weigh 20g cheese? Not in a cup surely?

I'm in Canada, we're metric, and I have no idea how many miles I travel - kilometers, I understand - but for cooking I learned from my mom who was brought up using imperial measure. I don't have a kitchen scale, I use cups, etc. For cheese, if I was using it grated, I would measure in a cup. If not, I know 1 inch by 1 inch by 3 inches is one serving of cheese (I think 30g).

You want confusing travel, try living in the UK, where all fuel is sold by the litre, and all fuel consumption is measured in miles to the gallon. Trying to work out the cost of the journey you just did in your head is quite the feat of number juggling.
    It's no different in Canada, or it's worse for us old farts. I grew up with Imperial measurements and switched to metric.
    Add to that, that the US and Imperial measurements are different...a US gallon is smaller than an Imperial one. Hence, so are quarts, pints, etc.
    So here, we use a mix of both. Trademen's licenses are written/taught in metric (mm/metres), and pipe, wire, fittings are sold in imperial 1/2", 10 feet etc. I'm 5'-7" tall, weigh 164 lbs., live 25 km. from work. It takes 60 litres to fill my truck's gas tank which gets 25 miles to the gallon. When making wine/mead, you add 8g of yeast to 6 US or 5 imperial gallons...
    Oh ya, my wife's British and weighs 10 stone. She's trying to get down a few pounds. I'm just trying to lose 1 or 2 kilos more.

Loving these posts, I'm in the UK too, good job we're all used to converting measurements in our heads :laugh: :laugh: Also does everyone automatically know how far say... 50 yards is, or is that a British thing too? :tongue:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I use scales. Think it's too easy to over or underestimate with cups! It was a pain at first, but used to it now! X
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada, and do not have, nor do I know anyone else who has, a kitchen scale. After reading all this, I'm starting to think I should put one on my wishlist. I think the OP is totally on par with general usage in Canada.
  • LadyRoff
    LadyRoff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    these are the scales that i use, (i use the grams/oz and ml functions) however I am pretty sure they have a "CUP" measurement aswell, how accurate that is to the US i dont know...

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/morphy-richards-digital-jug-scales-red-18093430-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~Household+Appliances~18093430&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=awxrxrqt&istBid=t&gclid=CIGlw8a34LUCFeXLtAode3gAEQ
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada, and do not have, nor do I know anyone else who has, a kitchen scale. After reading all this, I'm starting to think I should put one on my wishlist. I think the OP is totally on par with general usage in Canada.

How do people bake in Canada?

With measuring cups only?
  • lavender91
    Options
    I weigh on my scales :) I guesstimate a few things, but it only takes 30 seconds to weigh something if I'm not sure.

My fiance took the piss out of me for weighing a spoonful of Branston pickle though :) But it worked, it wasn't as many calories as I thought, so now I can have more Branston :)
  • reapreward2
    reapreward2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have saved a coverter in my favourites till I can measure by eye :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Geesh, guess the OP never sold weed before.
  • rhodes5267
    Options
    Im British and love cooking. I must amit i like to weigh and measure. Not good at guessing especiaaly when using chilli or curry powder !!
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    I use a metric pinch, but an imperial hand full!

A metric drizzle and an imperial splash!

A metric lump and an imperial dollop!

Simples really! :bigsmile:
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    This is really, really interesting.
    I'm in the US. Cups, teaspoons, tablespoons are all standard measures and gauged with sets of cups/spoons made to the purpose. (ie, you don't use a teacup or a place spoon) We all have sets like that in our kitchens (I have a few).
    As far as "no two cups are alike" in terms of how you fill them -- I suppose that's true. If you're measuring to a recipe, I think it's reasonably safe to say that a cup of shredded carrot or shredded cheese is what it is. Calorie counts on packages here are most often by measure for things like that, so if you measure 2 tbsp of fat free half and half, you know what you're getting. Flour is something different; scooping will give you an overage because you're compacting the flour, so the recommendation is to scoop in and level (not that everyone does, mind you). Interestingly, "serious" recipes for baked goods will recommend weighing. Brown sugar is another example; recipes will call for "packed" measures (1/4 cup packed). But for the most part, I think the understanding is that it's by level measure without forcing/squishing. This may also be the reason that we see a lot of recipes and calorie descriptions distinguishing between "diced", "chopped", "finely chopped", "minced", etc. Not just for the result, but because it would affect the measure.
    So I guess my point is that our recipe/nutrition information regime is designed around that imprecision :)