Kicking the Soda Habit

I have recently decided once and for all to stop drinking soda. I have been drinking water in its place but I'm feeling bloated. Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like I've gained weight even though that's crazy.

Replies

• fespo276
    fespo276 Posts: 11 Member
    I struggle with this, too. I was up to like 4-5 diet cokes a day.

First, I don't have it in the house. That helps (obviously). Second, I switched to seltzer water, in the can. It's carbonation mimics soda and the "ritual" of drinking a canned, carbonated beverage helps fulfill the need (sounds weird, but it works). The bubbles make me feel less bloated because I can burp (sorry!). Also, I try to get my caffeine fix from tea and, on some occasions, a small, sugar free red bull. I know its not great either, but I figure 8.4 ounces of red bull beats 32-40 ounces of diet coke.

Good luck!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Are you replacing the lost caffeine with another source? Try coffee or tea (just don't add sugar to them!).
  • sixpackdream
    sixpackdream Posts: 55 Member
    Your body will adjust. Sometimes it wonders what you are doing to it when you make a good healthy change. Don't overdo it, try to listen to your body and drink when you are thirsty.

I was a soda drinker, diet soda. I hated drinking water, it was something about the smell or taste???

I bought a couple of water bottles and now I constantly drink water and love it. There is something about being able to drink water and not smell it that really works for me.

Also, I had a friend that just experienced kidney stones, this can happen from a lack of water. Fear is a great motivator ;)
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    You're going to go through withdraw period. Stay strong, it will start to pass. It is hard to break a caffeine habit. I have done it before with a bad MtDew habit and it sucks. I fell off the wagon hard when I started drinking diet energy drinks. I am still trying to force myself to make a quit date.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    You're probably taking in more liquid just drinking water, at least that's what I would assume if you're noticing significant bloating. The bloating and possible weight gain is just water retention and it can be a good thing, it will help deliver nutrients through your body to recover from workouts. Also the peeing gets kind of old after a while but your body will adjust to all of this. If you can stand coffee it works as a diuretic to help ease some of the bloating.
  • I am okay drinking water for the most part, I just can tell there is a lack of energy overall. I am assuming this will pass, its just rough with a two year old! Has anyone else experienced the bloated feeling and could tell me how long they think it'll last? Just curious. I'm doing the 30DS and have gained weight and haven't lost size, I'm hoping its because of this. :/
  • Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    I gave up soda for water in January. The first couple of weeks were hard, and yes I felt bloated -- well not bloated, exactly, but *full* for a few days, but my body adjusted, and I also stopped retaining fluid that had been plaguing me for *years*.

Other than 2 cups of coffee a day, I drink only water now-- about a gallon a day.