Sth Australian large and training

Options
Hey all, Obese male glamor model in training here just saying hello.
ok not a glamor model or any desire to be, just a 110Kg on the road to getting down by a few stones if i can do anything about it,
Joined a new gym that opened up nearby and for the first 3 days excluding intake which is just a rough guide anyway without that i've burned off half a kilogram.

Years of depression and boredom led to me gaining several stones of weight, tho i've never been thin and probably the fittest i ever achieved in my life was a measly 12 stones when i was doing martial arts 7 hrs a week + giving up all red meat and having no meat at all a few days a week, but that was only sustainable for 6yrs til my back gave out on me :(

so 15yrs wasted years later just turned 40 on sunday 24th Feb, i've made a concious effort to do something about it, along with a father who has overcome a quadruple heart bypass and diabetes to walk the Kokoda trail and get into the best shape in many years.

Replies

• Kaathmandu
    Options
    Hey Sandgroper :smile:
    Good luck with your journey! I know it looks like a really big hill when you start (they always do when you're standing at the bottom, but think of the view when you get to the top!)
    I can tell you, even though I've still got a bit to go, I've lost 69kg over the last three years - you've got a helluva head start on me!
    I've tried a million different things, but I find Atkins - high protein, very low carb - is the thing that works for me. The other thing is accepting that this is how I am - alcoholics can't handle alcohol, people with Crohn's can't handle wheat - my body can't handle carbs - it sucks, it is not fair, but that's how it is. Once I put into that context, I found it easier.
    As they say around here, don't find yourself a year from now, wishing you had started a year ago.
    Again, good luck. Get excited about how much more you will enjoy life this time next year
    :smile:
  • ndnyl
    ndnyl Posts: 96
    Options
    Gidday mate brother from across the ditch im from nz im currently at 118.7 kg so i feel your pain welcome and best of luck.
  • candirose69
    Options
    hey another aussie !!

Im from Melbourne, feel free to add me xxx
  • ndnyl
    ndnyl Posts: 96
    Options
    Heard melbz nice we wana come there for holiday heard its the eating capital of auz
  • styledsky
    styledsky Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Good to see a strong Aussie contigent growing here. I'm in Melbourne (originally from Perth). Good luck with your change of lifestyle, I'm sure you'll do great. Feel free to add me if you like (goes for anyone of course).
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Thanx and congrats on your tremendous effort too. I have alot of willpower when i'm motivated so the training wont be an issue other then weight training/toning aspect which bores me to be honest but it is required and i will persist, the food intake i'm definately gonna need to keep tabs on tho, considering what my habits started were leading upto just 1 week ago and a job as a forklift driver driving for 9+hrs a day almost non stop, as you said it's not easy to start with and only gets harder the more you lose, i know that from when i got into some semblance of shape doing martial arts and cutting out all red meat so many years ago that took me 6yrs to lose 3 stone and keep it off til my back gave out and i had to stop, and then i got weak and ate meat too often again :(

I just want to fit into my old clothes again ak (losing the waistline and stomach keg) and not have to keep buying new frumpier stuff ever few months, everything else is a bonus.

and yeah i know what you mean about different bodies handling things differently, i had a seemingly very slow burning motabolism for so i'd just have to look at food and i gain weight for the most part. but that seems to have changed, just needed the right setup to go nuts with exercise :) Legs and arms and but muscles are aching all the time atm but it's gonna be worth it in the end.

I was always a walker anyway, but in 2011 lost both of my 12yr old dogs that were the backbone of my motivation to get out there atleast 4 days a week and walk them. so along comes the new gym and ive found a new lease on life and i love the treadmill with the digital TV, and fan WOOT.

Once again thanx for the motivational speech :)
  • paulperryman
    Options
    Thanx man., i hadn't looked at a set of scales in years but assumed i was around 17stone which is OUCH!!!!
    gym scales just confirmed it.
  • paulperryman
    Options
    Thank you
  • paulperryman
    Options
    Heard melbz nice we wana come there for holiday heard its the eating capital of auz
    i can tell you there's more then enough to eat in Adelaide too :) Which is not necessarily a good thing.
    more fast food/Pizza shops per capita in the suburb i live too, it's a conspiracy :(
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Sydney here, never been to Adelaide, but heard its nice. I'm sorry to hear about your dogs. I had to re-home my dog last year and it still brings me to tears. They are such a great source of comfort and friendship. Can you get another to go on walks with you?

Good luck with your weight loss, losing fat will hopefully help you with the blues as well. Lift weights and listen to music, that helps pass the time!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Paul,
    I'm in Tasmania and feel free to add me if you like.
    BTW, 110kg isn't obese!
    All the best with the gym. I started my health and fitness regime late last year and joined a local gym - I'm now doing RPM classes 4-5 times a week, my regular cardio/strength sessions several times a week and lap swimming at the local aquatic centre.
  • paulperryman
    Options
    Hi Paul,
    I'm in Tasmania and feel free to add me if you like.
    BTW, 110kg isn't obese!
    All the best with the gym. I started my health and fitness regime late last year and joined a local gym - I'm now doing RPM classes 4-5 times a week, my regular cardio/strength sessions several times a week and lap swimming at the local aquatic centre.

Thanx, It is close to obese when you are looking at yourself and you feel tight in the chest/stomach area, i realise i could be far worse tho, but ok very overweight :).
    well done, our local gym has RPM and all the usual cardio/weight stuff, don't know about doing the RPM's (if thats the cycle classes) though, my butt can't handle bike seats for 10mins let alone 45mins (lack of a glutimus maximus muscles) :P but i will join those in the near future no doubt. and yeah at current given my work times being 5am - 4pm and the gym only operating between 8am-9pm i will be looking at a 1-2 hrs every day after work depending on how buggered i am from work plus 1-2 hrs on each of saturday and sunday with a family member, plus atleast 2x45min walks each weekend
  • paulperryman
    Options
    Sydney here, never been to Adelaide, but heard its nice. I'm sorry to hear about your dogs. I had to re-home my dog last year and it still brings me to tears. They are such a great source of comfort and friendship. Can you get another to go on walks with you?

Good luck with your weight loss, losing fat will hopefully help you with the blues as well. Lift weights and listen to music, that helps pass the time!

Still haven't gotten over 1 of those dogs yet, he was irreplaceable.

will get another dog in time but atm bit hesitant cause once a week my 4yr old niece and 2yr old nephew stay over and they were a handfull for the 12yr old dogs that were use to kids so i don't want to push it just yet with a new dog. That and my work schedule until this year was nearly 12hrs a day which isn't fair on a pet to be alone for 13hrs a day as much as they never show it.