Gym motivation and advice?

Options
So i recently joined a gym and all I do is elliptical or treadmill, I need a direction. I want to lose weight. I work 3rd shift 4 days a week and off 3 days. The 3 days I have more time to work out, but the 4 days I work, I do not, I have about 30 mins to work out. i want to lose weight, but i also have a belly to get rid of. I need a routine that works and I can for the most part stick with. I think if I see a workout of some kind in writing I am more motivated than just doing the elliptical for 30 mins every other day. Please help, someone. Thanks

Replies

• suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    On your 30 minute days, focus on cardio, like the elliptical or treadmill you are already doing, maybe ramp up intensity or do interval training (work in short bursts of high intensity). On the days where you have more time, continue to do cardio, but work in some weight training. You could alternate legs, arms/back, and core workouts for each of the 3 days in addition to cardio. I don't know how much time you have to be in the gym so can't suggest a specific routine. We all know building/toning muscles burns more calories in the long run.

In case it helps, here's my normal routine: I only have an hour and 20 minutes 4-5 days/week on workdays and choose to do 20-30 minutes weight training plus 45-60 minutes cardio each day. Sometimes just cardio. There are tons of sites out there that show basic weight training exercises.

Great job on the weight loss so far! Good luck!
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Any good gym would have instructors who should be qualified to write you out a program to target those areas, people on here are good but I'd say try the gym first.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    30 min is a short time, but it isn't impossible for a good workout. I would say take one or two of the 4 work days as your break day. That way your body has the recovery and you don't feel pressured to do something in 30 min.

As for a plan, I would say for the short days you can focus on strength training/core and interval training. I don't know of a specific website that has plans, but you can get a ton of videos and ideas on youtube.

Keep the cardio to the longer days and make sure you add in some weight training into those days. Compound lifts are a good bang for the buck and include squats, deadlift, clean and press, and some presses and rows. Cardio isn't the full answer to blasting the fat and strength training is the way to go for slimming and shaping up.
  • MoparMatt
    MoparMatt Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    30 min is a short time, but it isn't impossible for a good workout. I would say take one or two of the 4 work days as your break day. That way your body has the recovery and you don't feel pressured to do something in 30 min.

As for a plan, I would say for the short days you can focus on strength training/core and interval training. I don't know of a specific website that has plans, but you can get a ton of videos and ideas on youtube.

Keep the cardio to the longer days and make sure you add in some weight training into those days. Compound lifts are a good bang for the buck and include squats, deadlift, clean and press, and some presses and rows. Cardio isn't the full answer to blasting the fat and strength training is the way to go for slimming and shaping up.
    I agree to this exactly, adding strength training is key, muscle burns more calories than fat so try and build, or at least maintain your muscle mass all the new fitness articles i read say it is key.
  • faster_than_flash
    faster_than_flash Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Please take no offense to anything I'm suggesting, just trying to help.

I would suggest that you first focus on eating healthy (a simple example would be replacing all drinks with water, and all snacks with veggies). This will help bring your weight down.

As for working out - you are in a tough situation.

On the short days - I would suggest powerful exercises. Instead of the treadmill or eliptical, do the stairmaster. This is much more difficult and will build your leg strength. I also agree with the previous posts into weight training. If you don't have a lot of time, look to do types of movements which hit multiple muscle groups.

You can also look into short workouts such as Insanity (DVD home workout).
  • CarolTempleton
    CarolTempleton Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice, its been very helpful and I will continue my journey to a healthier me.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    you can spend thirty minutes on one of these for each of those four days.

Over head press
    Squats
    Bench press
    Deadlifts

Done BAM

4 days weights, 2 days cardio VOILA perfection