weightlifting and burning calories

msbanana
msbanana Posts: 793 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I can't help but notice that the exercise journal only logs calories burned for aerobic exercise. When I go to the gym and lift I generally try to keep my heart rate up is there a way to get credit for calories burned lifting?? Do I not have the thing set up right? or is lifting considered a wash because your building while you burn? Anybody?

Replies

• too tell you the truth i was wondering the same thing... sorry i couldnt be of any help!!
  • i would use circuit training.
  • under add cardio section search for weigh training and then type in how long you did weights for and it gives you an estimate
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    The reason there isn't an entry for it in the calorie burn section is because weight lifting is a strange animal when it comes to calories burned. A few of the variables include- was it lighter weight for longer time or heavier weight for shorter time? (they'll have different burn levels for 1 minute); lifting has "after burn" (it continues to burn calories AFTER you've stopped lifting) and this varies depending on how often you lift and how long (days, weeks, years?) you've been lifting; do you take breaks between sets? this also changes your burn rate.

Short answer: so many variables go into the burn during lifting that I think it may be impossible to set it up in a formula a computer could use!

I know that many people use HRM to track some of the calories burned, but I've also read that doing it that way is not very accurate either.

Good luck figuring it out!
This discussion has been closed.