p90x AND the gym? overkill or ok?

Options
2»

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I do Insanity 3 days a week and the gym 3 days a week. insanity is designed for 6 days a week but it was just too much for me. I like hybrid much better. ETA I would never do both in the same day.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    You could try it, but you should listen EXTREMELY closely to your body because, as people have said, many of these programs are designed to be done a standalone programs.

When you were in school, you may have at times felt frustrated by your overall amount of homework and complained that it was unfair because your teachers assigned homework as though you only had their class and no others. It's the same principle.

Myself, I have multiple programs going on BUT only ONE is a full-intensity calisthenics and cardio program. The others are low-intensity, such as jogging 2 miles in the morning, and my weekends are reserved for resting.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    met a girl on here that says the is doing p90x and insanity at the same time.

Not a hybrid, insanity in the morning, p90x in the afternoon. even i got to say thats crazy lol
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    met a girl on here that says the is doing p90x and insanity at the same time.

Not a hybrid, insanity in the morning, p90x in the afternoon. even i got to say thats crazy lol

It's stupid is what it is.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I would say as long as you aren't in pain then its fine. You can never have too much exercise in my opinion. I'm jealous that you have enough time to do both!
  • Vermilliana
    Vermilliana Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Actually, if you do the 'Doubles" routine and instead of doing a second P90X routine, do some gym work instead, then it should be fine. Just remember the basic rules: Listen To TYour Body, Don't train the same parts two days in a row, if your muscles hurt then give them a day to rest, and be sure to change your diet to match. I am a P90X fanatic and there are days that I would love to go to the gym to add a little harder work to the mix, but my life is too busy to do so *smile* Thumbs up to you both!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Holy hell, I barely have the energy (and FOOD BUDGET) to do p90x.

Your body needs time to rest and recover, not just muscles and joints but your central nervous system too.

And remember more exercise = more calories burned = needing to eat more.

If I do plyometrics, I burn about 612 calories per my HRM. That's a big *kitten* burn and I would NOT want to go to the gym on top of that. I walk on average an hour a day for work, so if you really wanted to, I guess you could add some walking in?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I would say as long as you aren't in pain then its fine. You can never have too much exercise in my opinion. I'm jealous that you have enough time to do both!

The fact that you don't differentiate between resistance and cardio as exercise and understand the importance of rest in resistance training regimen says you don't know enough to speak on these matters, no offense.