Eating more Protein than recommended on MFP,

My Protein recommended daily amount is 45, yet I like to eat Chicken, 1 chicken breast is 58!! Will I not lose weight if I eat too much protein? Please help:frown:

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    High protein, low carb is the perfect diet

Keep within your calories.... I am now taking whey protein, im always over, I also eat about 30 almonds a day, and tonight I am having chicken and veg stew....more protein : )

Protein keeps you full for longer
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    The mfp protein recommendations are low. You absolutely won't hurt your weight loss if you go over. I aim for 115/day at LEAST.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Your calorie intake will determine your weight loss, not an individual macro. The protein levels are set really low. It's a good thing to go over them as long as you are not going over calories.
  • zampi03
    zampi03 Posts: 8 Member
    You can only justify eating more protein if you work out. Extra protein in the body turns into fat if it is not used.
  • I would be interested in people's input on this too. I eat TONS more than what MFP says, and even the internet says a woman needs 46 grams/day. I don't know if they consider very active women. I find protein helps me stay fuller and healthier. I eat healthier protein like chicken, not necessarily like hamburgers (though I do like to have those occasionally too!). I haven't seen this affect my weight loss, though I am not here to lose a lot of weight....but I would be curious if it is unhealthy in general.

I just came across this article: http://www.livestrong.com/article/527691-how-much-protein-does-a-female-runner-need/

Sorry guys, it focuses more on ladies!
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    You can only justify eating more protein if you work out. Extra protein in the body turns into fat if it is not used.

No.

You only gain weight if you insert more calories than you burn in a day. Whether they come from protein, carbs or fat.

Higher protein is recommended dring weight loss along with weightlifting heavy weights, because it is easier to maintain the muscle which in turn will help keep your BMR higher.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

No.

You only gain weight if you insert more calories than you burn in a day. Whether they come from protein, carbs or fat.

Higher protein is recommended dring weight loss along with weightlifting heavy weights, because it is easier to maintain the muscle which in turn will help keep your BMR higher.

^^yep
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 272 Member
    You would have to be eating enormous amounts of protein for any excess to be turned into fat after the body has used what it needs for tissues repair, hair growth and so on. Eating a bit higher than needed protein will pretty much only result in expensive urine as it is excreted by the kidneys. I'm not sure what MFP has me down for protein wise as I've never looked but my diet currently consist of roughly 60% protein, 30% carbs and 10% fats and I'm not gaining weight, although I am losing body fat.and inches in the places I want to lose them.
  • zampi03
    zampi03 Posts: 8 Member
    You would have to be eating enormous amounts of protein for any excess to be turned into fat after the body has used what it needs for tissues repair, hair growth and so on. Eating a bit higher than needed protein will pretty much only result in expensive urine as it is excreted by the kidneys. I'm not sure what MFP has me down for protein wise as I've never looked but my diet currently consist of roughly 60% protein, 30% carbs and 10% fats and I'm not gaining weight, although I am losing body fat.and inches in the places I want to lose them.

This was probably the most helpful post of all. I try to stay in the 33/33/33 range with my protein, carbs, and fat as it works best for me so far, but this has made me wonder.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    I aim for 100-150 grams per day. My macros are around 50%carbs/25protein/25fat
  • You can eat plenty more protein than that if you want, you have to find what works for you. I use custom macros/cals myself but as far as actually tracking myfitnesspal works well.

The website recommended 90g protein but I actually eat 181-200g every day (40/30/30).
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    :bigsmile: i chicken breast is 58? 58 what? not g in protein thats for sure or justy how big is your chicken breast? lol
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member

No.

^^yep

Exactly
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    :smile:
  • yokumsm
    yokumsm Posts: 13 Member
    I had wondered about MFP's recommendation too as I was always over the daily goal by a lot. Then I read an article in Fitness Magazine (February) which discussed women and protein. The nutritionist quoted recommended half a gram per pound of body weight for active women. (65 grams/130 lb woman). If you exercise more than an hour 5 or more days a week, up it to .75 grams per lb of body weight.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    MFP recommendations are far too low. I aim for at least 100g a day which is more than double what MFP recommends. However, according to my measurements and BF% I am maintaining my LBM, which is exactly what you should be aiming for.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member

Um... sorry but that's BS. MFP protein recommendations are very low even for sedentary lifestyles. And the only way anything turns to fat is if you are over the total calories that you use in a day. Protein promotes LEAN BODY MASS. Eat more clean protein and fewer crap carbs (ie most processed carbs including pretend whole grain breads).

You can customize your macros to fit your own percentages, and you can eat more protein if you wish and it's good for you!

ETA - I lift weights and eat 150gms (give or take) daily.
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Exactly what chicken breast are you eating that has 58g of protein. Per ounce white meat chicken has about 7g of protein per ounce. 8.1 oz chicken breast? Usually takes me 2 to 3 of them to get to 8 ounces.