feeling too big to move

Hi. I'm soon to be 49 and my goal is to lose at least 60 lbs. I've always been active, not a runner, not a gym person, not a weight lifter, just always on the go, which kept me nice and fit. I've gained all this weight like in the last 5,6, or 7 yrs. I want to work out, but I have a very hard time doing anything but walking. Which I do every day up and down stairs for at least 30 min. Then, I'm drained for the rest of the day.....any advice or suggestions to help pick this old butt up and get moving.... plz HELP

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Diet diet and more diet. Check your diet first and make changes to eat at a deficit and eat healthy foods.Since your diary isn't open, there's no way to know what you are eating currently but I would start there.
    Keep walking and moving and you'll see changes.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Join the group "Virtual Disney Walk/Ride"

We're doing a virtual trip from our homes to either DisneyWorld or DisneyLand ...... figure out the mileage, then walk, ride, ski, skate, row or WHATEVER a little bit each day to get to our destination ...... starts March 1st ..... no deadline, just a lot of fun !

Mine's 1122 miles ...... it's going to take me awhile :happy:
  • chefmomster2
    chefmomster2 Posts: 22 Member
    Walking is a great exercise! You don't have to do anything else. Please don't be so hard on yourself.

I am in a similar place as you. I was always "the last kid chosen". Never blamed them. I was pitiful! LOL But I was active. I skated, rode my bike, etc. I never needed to exercise in a focused way.

Remember that it takes time. Perhaps the stairs are too much for you at this point. Have you considered walking on amore level surface? If you can get a burn started without exhausting yourself you might be able to increase your time spent working out. Try it.

I use the Striiv App available for free for iPod Touch and iPhone. I LOVE IT! It keeps track of all of my steps eavh day and motivates me with its little game and challenges. It's also nice to get credit for the extra steps you take when you make the healthy choice of parking the car further back in a parking lot. It also automatically downloads your progress to MFP.

Most of all hang in there. You CAN do this!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Which I do every day up and down stairs for at least 30 min. Then, I'm drained for the rest of the day...

If you can do that and are happy to do that for 30 minutes, then just keep doing it every day.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Hi. I'm soon to be 49 and my goal is to lose at least 60 lbs. I've always been active, not a runner, not a gym person, not a weight lifter, just always on the go, which kept me nice and fit. I've gained all this weight like in the last 5,6, or 7 yrs. I want to work out, but I have a very hard time doing anything but walking. Which I do every day up and down stairs for at least 30 min. Then, I'm drained for the rest of the day.....any advice or suggestions to help pick this old butt up and get moving.... plz HELP

Have you had your thyroid levels checked? Hypothyroidism is pretty common as a woman ages--it is compounded by the loss of the hormone, progesterone as a woman stops ovulating. Progesterone enhances the utilization of thyroid hormone--on the other hand, estrogen (which hangs on after the loss of ovulation) cuts the effectiveness of thyroid hormone. For some women, a bio-identical progesterone cream (applied vaginally) is all it takes to start slimming. That and paying attention to what one puts in one's mouth (and it should be as nourishing as possible) often is all it takes. Good luck. :smile:
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 671 Member
    Diet diet and more diet. Check your diet first and make changes to eat at a deficit and eat healthy foods.Since your diary isn't open, there's no way to know what you are eating currently but I would start there.
    Keep walking and moving and you'll see changes.

^^^ Agree 100%. I feel like crap when I exercise hard and eat junk. I feel great when I exercise hard and eat well. Your body needs the right fuel to work hard.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    You didn't get fat overnight, you aren't going to get back in shape over night. And this is coming from a fat guy.

You are taking the first steps, just keep it up and put extra focus on your diet. Diet is at least half the battle in weight loss (probably more)

Good luck!
  • thanks everyone for the great response. that was my first post and wasnt sure if i'd get answered. i have checked my thyroids and no problem there. I will download the striive app to my iphone.....what an inspiration you all are thanks again:heart:
  • sorry... i just opened it
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    And remember, slow and steady wins the race. By just getting up and exercising you have already lapped everyone who said "screw it" and stayed on the couch.

It does get easier. I've noticed that as I lose weight the runs I'm doing in the Couch to 5k program get noticably easier. Who would have thought! :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I only looked at your calorie goal - 1200 - which is likely WAY TO LITTLE food. Have you calculated your TDEE/BMR?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Looking at your diary and there are a lot of days that you aren't even reaching 1200 calories. The lethargy you're feeling after your walks could be a good sign that you're not eating enough. Try to reach at least 1200 and eat back some of your earned exercise calories every day and you should start to feel better soon.
  • You should feel worn out after you train. Even after you have lost weight and are in better physical condition your training sessions should suck you pretty dry. If they don't then you need to train harder. Just hang in there, keep working hard and dieting smart and you will get there faster than you think. Results in the gym are ALWAYS the result of hard work. Good luck.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    I only looked at your calorie goal - 1200 - which is likely WAY TO LITTLE food. Have you calculated your TDEE/BMR?

^^^This...you might want to consider re-evaluating your caloric goals. 1200 calories is really not enough for most people, so it wouldn't be any big surprise that you felt lethargic.

Walking is fantastic exercise if that's what you like to do. The point is to do something you enjoy and will continue doing.