Constipation

Options
Hey guys, so I have been constipated for awhile now and it's really starting to bug me. I try to eat as much fiber as I can and I drink a lot of water. Any ideas on how to help?

Replies

• wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Prunes really loosen things up
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    prune juice (mix with sprite if you want it to taste not quite as nasty) and raisins...you can also buy laxative teas. i've never tried them but i've considered it because not going for 3 days prior to a weigh in is really throwing off my progress :mad:
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    activia yogurt -- may have to eat it for a few days in a row to notice ..but it will help ...if you can eat yogurt
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me two things work: not eating bread and/or taking magnesium citrate supplements.

None of the other common fixes ever worked for me.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Allegedly, Bobby Brown would help Whitney Houston out when she was constipated by using a spoon. I have no idea what he meant by that, but apparently that was real love.

Oranges are really good too.

And senna laxatives (follow the instructions!)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    "as much fiber as I can" doesn't really help us know your fiber intake.

First, are you eating constipating foods? Eggs and dairy are the most constipating foods on the planet, so if you've started having eggs for breakfast or eat a bunch of cottage cheese, you could have problems

Are you really tracking your fiber intake? Whole grains, fruits, and vegetables are the best sources of fiber. Lentils and berries are very high, and prunes, while having fiber, also contain a substance which can increase GI motility. Chia seeds have 3 grams of fiber per tablespoon so they are an easy way to increase your fiber intake. Caffeine is a bowel stimulant as well and can help to get things moving. Eating healthy fats, like nuts and nut butters and avocado, is also important in keeping things moving.

Fiber added products, like Fiber One, probably don't give you the same effect, gram for gram, as naturally occurring fiber.

And drink lots of water.

Senna is a very harsh laxative; I would use it only as a last result.
  • benflando
    Options
    Smooth Moves tea from Whole Food or any organic store.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    hot water with lemon does it for me if i'm eating alot of protein. coffee can help too and obviously loads of veg.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Options
    Smooth Moves tea from Whole Food or any organic store.
    yes smooth move tea, also walmart and target carry it
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    "as much fiber as I can" doesn't really help us know your fiber intake.

First, are you eating constipating foods? Eggs and dairy are the most constipating foods on the planet, so if you've started having eggs for breakfast or eat a bunch of cottage cheese, you could have problems

Are you really tracking your fiber intake? Whole grains, fruits, and vegetables are the best sources of fiber. Lentils and berries are very high, and prunes, while having fiber, also contain a substance which can increase GI motility. Chia seeds have 3 grams of fiber per tablespoon so they are an easy way to increase your fiber intake. Caffeine is a bowel stimulant as well and can help to get things moving. Eating healthy fats, like nuts and nut butters and avocado, is also important in keeping things moving.

Fiber added products, like Fiber One, probably don't give you the same effect, gram for gram, as naturally occurring fiber.

And drink lots of water.

Senna is a very harsh laxative; I would use it only as a last result.

Dairy is probiotic, so how exactly are eggs and dairy causes of constipation?

You could try kefir, it's like a runny yoghurt type drink.

Or maybe you're eating too much protein and not enough fiber to move it through your digestive tract.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I am also prone to this problem, despite drinking lots of water, eating fruits and veggies. Fibre One bars have been a godsend. One a day and I'm golden. When the Fibre One brownies came out, I was ecstatic. They also work like a charm. And they taste pretty good too.
  • SeraFee
    SeraFee Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Something that helps me is to drink AT LEAST 16 oz of water in the morning right when I wake up, about 20 minutes BEFORE breakfast. Its not sure fire, but I'm a lot more regular when I do this on a daily basis.
  • PG58
    PG58 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Make sure to exercise or at least move around to get your body working. If you are eating a lot of fiber and drinking a lot of water, you might want to check with doctor if this continues. Sometimes this can (not always) be an indication of a health problem. Better to be safe and not sorry.

My constipation stems from a thyroid problem. Something to continue working on.:smile:
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Guess what! It's not totally a fiber issue! F A T S .......are what get the intestines doing their job. Make sure you are eating healthy dietary fats including saturated fats.

For extra help you can try the over the counter Miralax, empty stomach, first thing in the morning. It brings water to the intestine which will help create the urge to go. Not harsh!

Best!

Seriously - google about fats. In todays "low fat" world, constipation is the outcome....or not ;-)
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    As soon as my calories dropped down to 1200, things stopped moving for me. I upped the calories, and ta-dah, poop!

LOL sorry, I'm really blunt haha

Coffee usually helps too!! What doesn't? Cheese (for me) and I live on the stuff.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    For me spinach works wonders! I can get frozen or fresh spinach and steam it. It literally works in hours!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Drink some coffee! I always poo after my morning coffee.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Try my special mix of avocado, 1 tbs of peanut butter, 3 tbs of bran and some raisins in it. Mix, mix, mix, eat it and you'll poop like a boss!
  • Schmidty102
    Schmidty102 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I take a daily probiotic and fish oil/omega 3. It seems like they help keep my bowl movements in line. My mother swears by fish oil helping.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    you may want to know about psyllium husk(with plenty of water).