Not seeing the results I'd like

Options
I need some help figuring out how to increase my protein & calories while decreasing/maintaining my fat, sugars and carbs.

My diary is open to friends, but not the public so here's an average of my Calories, Macros and Micros over the last two weeks.

GOAL DAILY
Calories ~ 1700 Calories ~1555
Fat ~ 47g Fat ~ 65g
Cholesterol ~ 200g Cholesterol ~ 178g
Sodium ~ 2500g Sodium ~ 3125g
Carbs ~ 213g Carbs ~ 178g
Fiber ~ 25g Fiber ~ 26g
Sugars ~ 20g Sugars ~ 60g
Protein ~ 106g Protein ~ 89g

What I'm thinking is I need to increase my calories while decreasing my fat, sodium and sugars. Even though my sugars are high about 1/2 of them are from natural sources & at least 80% of my carbs are from whole grains, fruits and veggies. I have recently started to cut out wheat, although this is a work in process and I have not yet completely eliminated it, honestly I probably won't eliminate it completely.
I walk about 3miles a day 4-5 days a week and even though I know adding in some resistance training would be beneficial I honestly do not have the time at this point to do so, I have a chronically ill daughter who requires a large amount of care and my time.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chicken, turkey, fat free greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, prawns, tuna, milk, eggs... all good protein sources you could add into your diet.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Add an extra portion of your protein to every meal (you should be eating protein every meal).. Breakfast try to do majority protein, so no cereal, bagels, etc.. Change bread with wraps to reduce your carb number.. cook more foods instead of buying packaged processed items.. No Frozen meals (frozen bags of chicken, frozen veggies etc) all contain higher sodium that you can buy fresh in the store with less amounts.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    -Watch that sodium, too! Do you eat a lot of processed/prepackaged/fast food?
    -Do you eat soy? Adding TVP to ground beef meals, casseroles, etc. can boost protein
    -Do you like protein shakes? you might not need one every day, but on days when you need more, they can be really satisfying
    -How much of your fat is trans/saturated vs. unsaturated? Saturated fat isn't bad, per se. But I never worry about how much UNsaturated fats I eat as long as I'm still under my calorie goals.
    -Edit to add: greek yogurt
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get hung up on macros. I've never bothered with it much, just eat within your budget.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I drink the Visalus shakes, I try to get in 2 a day but some days I fall short of that. I've started adding in an egg white to my morning shake to increase my protein but my lunch shake is made up of entirely fruits and veggies, although I do add a protein like turkey wraps or chicken salad on rice cakes.
    Vi has GMO free Soy and I occasionally have some besides what is in my shake, but I'm also trying to eliminate GMO products and most Soy is GMO and heavily processed which makes it not healthy.
    What is TVP?
    The majority of my fat is unsaturated, and besides cheese (I love cheese) I've cut out a lot of the processed foods.