Natural Sugar Vs. Refined Sugar

Options
So I have had a problem lately with going over in my sugar even if I am under in everything else. The thing is all my sugar is coming from fruits and vegetables. If I eat a cup of berries that's over half my sugar intake for an entire day in one meal/snack. My question is, is there a difference between the sugar found in fruits and vegetables versus the refined processed sugars? Or is it all the same in the end?

Replies

• swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the body processes the sugar in fruit, for example, more slowly because there is also a lot of fiber. I'd assume it's the same for vegetables. Otherwise, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will comment?
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    i think the natural is better?!
  • sharonmunday90
    sharonmunday90 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have that problem too. I am guessing its ok
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i wouldn't worry about it. the handful of berries i have in the morning puts me over too.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi there! NOT all the same. I love eating my fruit...and I know the Sugar/Carbs are coming from healthy sources.

I found this topic with the same question here on MFP...with many great, yet somewhat conflicting, responses.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/572481-natural-sugar-vs-refined-sugar
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about sugar from actual fruits and vegetables.
  • czardastx
    czardastx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I try to not eat fruits too late in the afternoon / evening unless I'm going to be doing some intense exercise. If you're not going to exercise than the body will just store those extra sugars instead of burning up your fat reserves.

When I gave up fruits late in the day I dropped 2 lbs almost right away, in less than 2 weeks. From 191 to 189. By continuing with this logic I'm now down to 186. I'd been trying to bust through to 189 for a few months. So, don't know if there is any science behind it, but I saw results.

Your results may vary... :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Much better to get sugar from fruits and vegetables than refined, but at the end of the day sucrose is sucrose and fructose is fructose.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've heard that the body processes the sugar in fruit, for example, more slowly because there is also a lot of fiber. I'd assume it's the same for vegetables. Otherwise, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will comment?

That is what I have heard, too, but I know that diabetics still has to cut down on fruits and such. hmmm. I blend fruits in the morning for my son, husband, and myself, and once that is done, I AM OUT OF SUGAR! I got rid of it on my diary because it was causing tons of stress. I don't have any medical conditions, so I don't need to worry about it. I do watch the processed stuff that comes in (non veggie and fruit), and I never add sugar to anything.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    Hi there! NOT all the same. I love eating my fruit...and I know the Sugar/Carbs are coming from healthy sources.

I found this topic with the same question here on MFP...with many great, yet somewhat conflicting, responses.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/572481-natural-sugar-vs-refined-sugar

Thank you! That was actually very helpful! Her and I have a lot in common and the answers seemed to generally agree that Fruits and Veggies are fine due to the fact the our body processes the sugar differently and the fact that there are tons of vitamins and minerals in fruits (especially berries which is what I mainly eat). ^_^