Completed my first 5K !!

Options
Solly123
Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
Decided that 2013 was going to be my year. The year I actually stuck to New Year Resolutions.

So I hired a treadmill and started Couch to 5k. I'll never forget that first day. W1D1 - I honestly thought I'd have a heart attack. By the time I finished, I couldn't actually get off the treadmill because I thought I was going to faint. But I kept it going - every 2 day I'd get home from work, change and get up onto that horrible treadmill and do the program for that day.

In Ireland every January there is a programme on TV called Operation Transformation - which is all about loosing weight, eating healthy and getting fit. Towards the end of Jan, they said that they were running a 5k run in the Phoenix Park in Dublin and at another venue in Cork. 5,000 entries max for Dublin. So I logged on immediately and got myself registered. So now I had to complete C25K.

Fast forward to last week. Hurt my foot on the treadmill on W7D1. Tried to catch my falling waterbottle! Silly me. Wasn't able to put weight on my foot at all. So didn't run all week. Last Wed, I went for a walk. Foot sore but totally fine to walk on. I just knew it wasn't perfectly better.

Sat morning - Phoenix Park, Dublin. I lined up. I was terrified. I hadn't ran in 9 days. I hadn't finished C25k. I had never run outside!!
Off we went. About 1/2 a km in a fell in behind a lady doing a steady pace. She neither speeded up nor slowed down. Perfect. Was on her butt for 3 k.. Then we came to a steep hill.. Off she took up the hill like a gazelle being chased by a lion! I kept the head down and tried to keep at the steady speed. Made it up. At the 4 k mark, I suddenly thought about my breathing.. Bad mistake. Started to panic, couldn't catch my breath, had to go back to walk. Walked for nealy 1k and then beat myself up mentally to get moving again. Off I went - slow and steady.

Then I could hear people around me saying - oh look - there it is. There, what seemed to be 5k ahead, was the finish. OH MY GOD - I'll never make it running that far I thought. So looked down at the ground and totally concentrated on getting one foot in front of the other.

I made it over the line, running in 36 mins and 22 seconds. I couldn't believe it. I was so so happy.

Even more determined now to finish C25k and actually run the next 5 k in full. No more walking and no more panicing about my breath

Delighted. One thing ticked off the New Year Resolution list. Thinking back to that first time on the treadmill and that first 1 minute run - its amazing what your body can achieve in a few short weeks. So to everyone out there - keep trying. It does work. Its takes time but the buzz when you achieve what you never ever thought possible is amazing!

Replies

• larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS and WOW!! To up and just go out and go for that 5k in public like that took so much chutzpah, very inspirational. You are well on your way toward transforming your life and health. Thank you for sharing.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Wow, awesome post!!
  • shrinkinc
    shrinkinc Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    That's a great time for your first 5k!!
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I know how you feel, it's an amazing accomplishment! I'm sure you have many more to come!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Congrats, and a fantastic pace too!
  • ddeleonm09
    ddeleonm09 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Way to go! That is one of my goals as well. I've always wanted to be a runner. You just motivated me to start doing it! :)
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! 11 days 20 hours and 30 minutes until my first one!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Well done, even with the walk, that is a really good time for a 5k

xx
  • adenium11
    adenium11 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Thats a wonderful 5 km time! ive been running for a year and am still at the 40 minute mark! GOOD JOB!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My first C25K is April 5th and I am terrified...but thanks for the motivation!
  • Fatguy2Fitguy
    Fatguy2Fitguy Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congrats, I've signed up for a 5k in two months purely because I need to get over my hatred for running.

But well done you WTG!
  • IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I have my first 5K coming up, and I will be on week 7 as well. I *REALLY* needed to read this!
  • DRay64
    DRay64 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wow that is awesome way to go!!
  • fastfoodietofitcutie
    Options
    Congratulations, that's awesome!! I'm registered for a 5k in 3 months and am a little worried. Did you find it difficult to make the transition from treadmill to outdoors? I'm concerned about training on the treadmill and then having a completely different experience once I hit the pavement outside. It's too cold here to be outside right now so the treadmill will have to do.
  • jasondcooper
    Options
    Congratulations on your first 5K! I only ran my first a couple of months ago and I hope to run a few more this year.

Best to you.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a big accomplishment to be proud of. :-)
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    OMG I was in the exact same run, my first one too and I came in at 37 minutes! Lol you were JUST ahead of me :laugh:
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Sign up for more so you'll be motivated to keep running. You are a runner! :smile:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    That is fantastic! And a really good time, too. Good luck on your next one!
  • Ih8thedreadmill
    Ih8thedreadmill Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS! I hope to do this by the end of summer.....but these shin splints are killing me!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!