whats wrong with corn?

Options

Replies

• rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Because it killed the Mayans and is the likely culprit of all diseases of civilization

Really? And your proof? Because if that were true, the Native Americans would have been wiped out before Columbus crossed the tank.
  • O2BFatNoMore
    Options
    Because it hurts when it comes back out.

OMG, you aren't eating the cobb are you?
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    corn is higher in sugar content then most veggies and essentially corn is undigestable. It tastes good but not to many benefits!

This as well as the fact that most corn is now genetically modified and they don't have to tell you that it is. I just don't feel I get enough out of iot to warrant the calories it has. I still have a little every now and again.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with it.

Protip for celiac disease: Maseca (masa harina) is a gluten free flour and cheaper than other gluten free flours if you live in an area with significant Latin American population. It's also delicious and healthier than many more expensive flours due to how it is made.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    To me, the problem is that most corn available in the USA is genetically modified. It has something spliced into it to make it more resistant to pests, and the effect on consumer health is not known, but there's enough suspicion of ill effects (like autoimmune disease) that a number of other developed countries have banned it.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Nothing!!!! Corn is delicious, especially in corn fritter form. End of discussion.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    It is the Villainous Food du jour. That's what's wrong with it.

If you like it, eat it. As long as you eat a variety of foods in moderation every day, no foods are bad for you.
  • jez4ever
    jez4ever Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Because it killed the Mayans and is the likely culprit of all diseases of civilization

^^^^
    this
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    I'm actually reading a book suggested by my anthropology professor called "the Omnivores Dilemma". It's about how America consumes Industrialized foods. I'm just in the first chapter. I think corn itself isn't horrible BUT the food industry uses corn for everything. It is a grain and our bodies aren't meant to consume this many grains.

For example, last year the majority of antibiotics was not spent on humans but on farm animals like cows and pigs, etc that are going to be slaughtered. They feed all these animals corn feed, but like us their bodies are meant to eat meats and veggies too. So it causes problems. So, if those cows, pigs, turkeys whatever are consuming these grains, then so are we if we eat them. So that's where the problem is.

The food industry even puts high fructose corn syrup in baby formula. There is no need for that. The food industry just does. They use it as a filler and a preservative. BUT our bodies aren't meant to consume this many grains. We are supposed to be hunters and gathers and eat mostly meat and veggies. That's why people follow the paleo diet. Not to restrict themselves of good foods but because our bodies function better when we eat like we are supposed to. Not on this "industrialized eating disorder".

Hope that helped.

you are being fed propaganda.

the author of that book is a whack job. he has his own agenda that he is pushing.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    They might suggest you avoid corn because the vast majority of corn is genetically modified in the US.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you pop you can see the corn in it, and this can be embarrassing if you don't have flush toilets
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Winner: Maybe so but you still disagree?

Try eating mainly local farm meats and veggies that aren't corn feed and you will feel much better and have more energy. That itself makes me steer away from a corn based diet. I don't care if the author is crazy or not. There is truth involved. Humans aren't meant to consume a lot of grains, they take our energy away and make us hold onto body fat. I would rather eat like the paleolithic age and feel better inside and have more energy to run, than trust the American food industry.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    corn is higher in sugar content then most veggies and essentially corn is undigestable. It tastes good but not to many benefits!

Native americans knew how to prepare it so it wasn't the case. Still prepared the right way (nixtamalisation) with masa harina flour, and there are gluten free brands (Maseca is GF). I find it to be one of my go-to flours for thickening. Hominy is also not bad for you either... it's a better choice than traditional polenta again due to the processing that releases the niacin.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options

Um, there are still Mayans, they just don't have the empire they once had.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Corn has absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever.
    that's why it comes out looking the way it goes in (TMI sorry)

I do like corn though.

100g of yellow corn has:

365 calories
    9.4g protein
    4.7g fat
    74.3g carbs
    7.3g fiber
    0.6g sugar
    7mg calcium
    214 IU Vitamin A

No nutritional value?

Plus quite a few antioxidants.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I make a typewriter sound when I eat corn on the cob.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I feel like you guys aren't realizing how delicious corn fritters are....
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I do.. Right there with you. I like mine with avocado salsa...mmmmmmmm.
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I make a typewriter sound when I eat corn on the cob.
    Ding! zzzzzzhhhhhT! Nom nom nom...
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options

I do.. Right there with you. I like mine with avocado salsa...mmmmmmmm.

Corn chowder, too. Yum!