Hiit - How often for a newb?

Options
Hi all,
I started following a Hiit programme last week. 15seconds high, 1 minutes slower/Rest. Did that 3 days last week each session lasting 16mins (includes 2 min warm up).
To say I was knackered by the end of the week is an understatment. I wanted to go to bed around 8pm every night and I slept for 13 hours Friday night and felt better when I got up.

I should be back at the gym tonight but im still super tired.

So for a beginner should I cut back to 1-2 times a week?

Any other suggestions are most very welcome

Thank you
Vicky x

Replies

• boxem180
    boxem180 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I do HiiT three times a week but the day after my work out, I don't do anything except yoga and a slow walk on a treadmill. Recovery is huge so listen to your body. (I'm not an expert but I've been doing this for a month and I haven't been hugely exhausted)
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend 2 to 3 times a week.

The best measurement for "too much" is if you cannot go as hard as you want because you are too tired from the last workout. IT sounds like 3 might have been too much for you right now.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I thought so, will go and do a dvd at home tonight. I work out Mondays, Wednesdays and Friday's. So will try Wed & Fri this week.

Go to admit I hate cardio but I loved how quick Hiit made my workouts last week, with the same burn as if id done 30-40 mins at a normal pace
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to space them further apart, like Mon-Thurs or Wed-Sat.

Your body can use the extra time in between to rebuild and recovery. Just being able to do them 2 days apart instead of 3 days apart is a good increase in fitness.