Should I be eating more?

Options
I am past the halfway point to my goal weight! Yay!!
Now, I am just wondering if I should slowly start increasing my daily caloric intake.

I am currently eating 1200 calories a day, and I exercise 2-4 times a week for 20-45 minutes each session. I burn in and around 570 calories a week from exercise. I usually eat back my exercise calories as well.

I don't want to be eating 1200 calories for the rest of my life, and I guess I am concerned that when I reach my goal weight and go into maintenance mode, the increase of calories (eating at BMR) may cause me to gain. ??
Myfitnesspal says my BMR right now is 1576.

Replies

• kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Absolutely eat more!!
    What is your 'pound-per-week' set to? It should be at 1lb per week at the most, since you've lost weight. You can either go with MFP suggestions, or you can do the TDEE -20% route. Either way, eat more!!

**Edit to add: Foolish me... CONGRATS on the loss thus far!!!
  • Quadzilla4425
    Options
    Morning and this is just my two cents worth . . . for now I'd stay with what your doing as you seem to be losing weight and doing great so congratulations on that. Now is saying that the joy about a journey is trying new things so if once or twice a week you want to have a small spike in your daily macro then try it out. This will also prevent your body from getting used to the same cals each day. However, again if you find its not agreeing with your goals then pull back a bit or adjust what your eating on those days. I'd just keep an eye on your starches early on in the day and then shy away from them later on . . .all the best and great job like I said. (-:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    You should definitely change your calorie goals as you get closer to goal. As you've already figured out, eating 1200 calories per day just won't work for the rest of your life. Better to gradually get your body used to a lower calorie deficit as you progress.

Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    definitely start eating more.

I started at 1200 a day and lost 30 lbs. My body stalled after that. ( My total goal was 37lbs). It wa ssuggested to me to up my calories. I now eat 1460 a day (more with exercise). I had some minor fluctuations until my body got used to the new calories ( only 1-2lbs increase) but once I got used to eating in that range I lost 1.5 lbs in one week then steadily kept losing a half pound a week. I lost 4lbs more once I upped my calories. So you may see some fluctuation or stall but you will straighten out. It was recommended to me to gradually increase until maintenance ( 1760 for me). Once I lose the last 3 lbs I am going to probably increase calories to 1600 a day with the understanding I may gain slightly but eventually go back down. I will probably stay at 1600 for 2months then increase to my maintenance goal of 1760.
  • carmieg3
    Options
    Thank you all for yor advice! I love MFP :)

So I re-visited my "goals" and changed from loosing 2lbs/week to 1.5 lbs/week, and it came up to 1220!
    So thats a start. I guess I will re-assess again when I loose more.
  • fightininggirl
    fightininggirl Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    up your calories. I ate 1200 calories and had to up mine to 1400 calories
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eat at least 1400-1500! I did that and ended up losing more!

1200 is SO low and so unrealistic!
  • slavonka23
    slavonka23 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm 170cm / 72kg...and I'm eating 1800cal.. 4x a week exericising, and still loosing weight :drinker:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you all for yor advice! I love MFP :)

So I re-visited my "goals" and changed from loosing 2lbs/week to 1.5 lbs/week, and it came up to 1220!
    So thats a start. I guess I will re-assess again when I loose more.

Change it to 1 lb per week. With 30 lbs left, that is the max you should aim to lose a week. Also, make sure you get enough protein (around 1g per lb of lbm) to help maintain your current muscle mass.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask that, than yes. I'm not going to give you my opinions or referneces because I'm sure you'll get an earful from everyone else. Bottom line, if you are hungry, eat.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options

If your BMR is 1576 why on earth are you only eating 1200 calories per day? You should not be eating below your BMR, you should be eating below your TDEE by about 20%.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options

If your BMR is 1576 why on earth are you only eating 1200 calories per day? You should not be eating below your BMR, you should be eating below your TDEE by about 20%.

Agree completely! I ate below my BMR for a year, lost 35 pounds, then started to gain it back when I upped even slightly! MISTAKE! What happens is that your body will adapt and you will be stuck there.

Eat more now and never below your BMR and avoid that whole scenario.

Best!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options

Thanks for the tip :)
  • carmieg3
    Options
    So I changed my goal to loose 1lb/ week, and now it says I can have 1470 cals/day! I am so excited!! I wont even know what to do with all these calories :)