favorite local pizza shoppe

Options
i know now in advance we are ordering dinner from a little pizza shoppe and they have no neutrition menu... what should i do? or do i eat a can of tuna while watching my fast motabilism family all enjoy what i used to loveee

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Add something equivalent in the database?

Usually i've seen cheese pizza range from 220-350 a slice.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    ^ That's what I do. I find a "ny style pizza" in the database and count that. I figure it's better than nothing, right? So far it doesn't seem to hinder my progress. :)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. We always order pizza from local places rather than chains. It tastes better, and we like to support local businesses. But it's pretty difficult to figure out how many calories to log. I just look up chain pizzas that are similar in size and toppings to what I'm ordering and use those numbers to get an idea. Steer away from extra cheese, and be aware that pizzas loaded up with meat are going to be much higher in fat and calories than one with veggie toppings. And drink lots of water!
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    If I am eating pizza I will add the higher calorie range just so I dont overeat that day. Pizza can range from 240 calories to 300 calories per slice ( at least in NYC anyway) so I calculate 600 calories for 2 slices. It may be less but at least I know I wont go over for the day. I had pizza on Saturday and my method worked out fine :)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Just pick out a similar style pizza from a chain restaurant and add it that way. You can pretty much look at the pizza and tell if it is most like Pizza Hut Deep Dish, or Papa Johns Hand Tossed, etc. Then just add a little extra to be safe!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Normal (Italian) pizzas are not as high in calories as you might think - maybe from about 700/800 calories upwards, per pizza, so they're better than somewhere like Dominos which are bigger, with thicker bases. I wouldn't eat tuna - just have a pizza and don't eat the whole thing if it looks thicker when it arrives, or if you think it's too much!

• panano
    panano Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My favorite pizza place is Papa Murpheys although it's very very different because they give you the pizza raw, and you cook it at home. My favorite pizza of theirs is only 183 a slice.
    However, restaurants are required to post nutritional values, so either ask at the parlor, or try finding it on their website. They're really strict about it in New York.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Would you be happy eating the tuna?

Honestly, I wouldn't sweat it too much. Most generic cheese pizza in the nutritional menu is around 250 calories per slice. I'd say have a slice, maybe overestimate the calories and ENJOY it.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My favorite pizza place is Papa Murpheys although it's very very different because they give you the pizza raw, and you cook it at home. My favorite pizza of theirs is only 183 a slice.
    However, restaurants are required to post nutritional values, so either ask at the parlor, or try finding it on their website. They're really strict about it in New York.

Um, that's not really how the New York law works. Only franchises with a certain number of restaurants have to post nutritional values. If you go to an independent restaurant, you have to guess the calories.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Get an individual thin crust pizza loaded with veggies and shrooms. yummy
  • VTXJOCKEY
    VTXJOCKEY Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Get an individual thin crust pizza loaded with veggies and shrooms. yummy

That's what I do. Except I love meat so I'll use turkey pepperoni and ham sometimes in addition to the veggies. Weight Watchers makes a pretty good shredded mozzarella cheese too.
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is supposed to be a life change. You don't want to pack the pounds back on as soon as you stop logging every day, so it's good to learn to make healthy choices and estimates.

First, figure out how to participate in your life and do it as healthy as possible. You want to eat the pizza with your family! If you have a say in the ordering, get a thin crust with veggie toppings. If not, just eat a reasonable portion of whatever there is.

And then make an estimate of how many calories you ate. You can plan for it by eating a healthier lunch, or eliminating a snack. Or you can just accept it, and move forward. Maybe make sure your regular workout is particularly good one, or go for an extra walk or something.

A healthy lifestyle is about incorporating things like this into your life. You can do it!