Question for Polar T-31 Coded Transmitter users.

Options
Polar recently sent me a new strap, the T-31 Coded with built-in Transmitter, since I was having issues with the Textile strap and Soft Strap giving me unrealistically high readings for maximum heart rate. I have only used it a few times, and so far no wacky high readings, but twice I have had struggles getting it to pick up my heart rate when first putting it on. The first time, after several minutes of attempting to wet it and move it to different positions, I gave up and just put a Soft Strap on. Today, it took about five minutes of fiddling with it and wetting it, even trying lubricating jelly, until it finally picked up my heart rate and held it, at least until the stretch when it read "00" for a brief time during a side bend. Any advice on how to have it pick up my initial heart rate easier?

Replies

• cmadge3254
    cmadge3254 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, but its probably not the best! It will certainly do the trick though. Buy two small sponges and cut a slit through them. Slide the transmitter through the wet sponge and walllah!! I use this method with very thin and small framed individuals that have trouble picking up their heart rate. You can also try tightening the stap. It should fit pretty closley to the skin. If you pull on it an it comes off the chest it is to loose. Good Luck!
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Do you wear the sponges or just use them to wet it? I would think the thickness of the sponge would mask the heart rate.
  • cmadge3254
    Options
    You can wear the sponges. I will not mask the HR.
  • cmadge3254
    Options
    Let me know how it goes. There is also a new strap the H6 which transmits right to your phone which is pretty awesome. I hope that resolves your issue!
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It has been fine for the past two workouts without sponges. I don't have a smart phone, so that other strap won't work. I did order another cheaper heart rate monitor (New Balance N4) for a back up. Thanks for your help. I'll try the sponges next time it won't pick it up right away