Muscle = Thin?

saram21
saram21 Posts: 88
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
My arms are kinda fatty. If I do toning exersizes will that help to shrink them up? I have heard that "muscle burns fat" but I am not sure in what way that is meant. I already know that having muscle increases your metabolism, but does it burn the fat in that area? I guess my question is simple, If I do toning workouts for my arms, will it actually get rid of the fat on my arms?

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    I started the 100 push up challenge and although I am only up to 28, I have seen a huge improvement in my arms overall, even the little waddle on the underside. Don't know if this helps.
  • dan15
    dan15 Posts: 5 Member
    Having muscle tone in that area will make it appear more firm. That being said, overall muscle mass in your body will increase your overall metabolism - burning fat that is deposited everywhere from around your organs to around your arms.
    There is no such thing as spot reduction- i.e. doing a million sit-ups to get rid of stomach fat.
  • it's not really that muscle burns fat .....it's more that muscle burns more calories than fat............. because even right now sitting there doing nothing you are burning calories........ like 5 pounds of fat will burn about 2 calories and 5 pounds of muscle will burn like 25 ..........( i can't remember the actual numbers but that close enough)......... that's why strenth training paired with cardio is awesome! plus you have the added benefit of toning up......... you should look up 5 pounds of muscle to 5 pounds of fat there is a huge differance!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    If you were to burn the fat from your arms (which is done by caloric deficits and your body deciding where to remove fat -- your arms could be first, last, or in between), and build up muscle with strength training, your arms will appear firm.

If you just lost the fat and do no kind of strength training, your arms will be "skinnier" but they will not be firm in appearance/touch. It's what they call "skinny fat".
This discussion has been closed.