Low salt, low sugar, high protein, dairy free food.....

Options
Do they exist? I am wondering....

I am getting sick of eating my oatmeal and vegan protein powder( that is getting hard to afford as well) with almond milk and my turkey burgers, and eggs. SO SICK OF EGGS! I need to branch out and get all experimental with my cooking.

Now that I have vented, I want to ask for help. Are there books or websites that have such recipes on them? Any advice is awesome. Thankyou

Replies

• schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com to start. Most things that you cook yourself will be low sodium, as long as you don't add salt. I never add salt while cooking - the consumers (my family) can always add it in at the end.
  • s_wilson84
    s_wilson84 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Dark greens and lots of other vegetables.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Are you a vegetarian?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, vegetables, flax seed, beans, some nut butters. Those are just off the top of my head. No idea about web sites.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Beans are your friend. Some canned ones can be high in sodium, dried that need rehydrating aren't as bad. You can do a million things with beans.

ETA: I second quinoa. My two staples of foods are quinoa and beans. *Pigs out on greek quinoa salad for lunch*
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i eat a lot of fish, chicken, piles and piles of vegetables. skinnytaste.com is a good starting point. i usually have to beef up the spices in her recipes. i also look to cookinglight.com often.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Chicken, lean ground beef, and fish...
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I've been cooking my way through Let Them Eat Vegan. I also rely on recipes from ohsheglows.com and joyoushealth.com. The only problem with those two is that they don't count calories, so some recipes tend to be very calorie dense, but they're easy to substitute or otherwise play around with.
  • capnlizard
    capnlizard Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lara bars, either store-bought or homemade. They don't have added sugar (just whatever naturally occurs in the dried fruit), and most don't have added salt. They have a ton of nuts in them and are good for about a 190-250 calorie snack. They can be a bit pricey, so try searching for homemade Lara bar recipes online; there are a lot of good links out there! I have a total dairy intolerance, but aren't vegetarian or vegan, so I feel your pain here :sad:
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    beef jerky
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    pea or other veggie protein powders
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    boiled chicken
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    ohsheglows.com is a great vegan website :smile: if you are vegetarian there is a happy herbivore group here on MFP as well
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Canned salmon! You can make patties or salads and all sorts of things with it, plus it's a good source of calcium.

ETA: as rtalencar85 says, most canned fish is high in sodium, but if you look for low-sodium versions they're out there! Cloverleaf has a low sodium salmon with only 85 mg per serving.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    canned fish and jerky are both very high in sodium.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am deathly allergic to dairy... that's why I cant eat it. I love meat. The vegan protein powders tend to be really expensive and I have trouble affording them. Thank you.