Scared to eat more than 1200 and Plateau

Options
Hello :)
I have been using MFP since late January and have followed the 1200 cal a day they set for me (with a few binge days and days I went below 1200). The first few weeks I was losing 3 lbs a week, then it slowed to 1.5 and now nothing.
I am afraid to eat more than 1250 a day.
I also have a fitbit that I wear religiously and it also tells me how many calories I should eat (usually around 1300) but I have been following what MFP says.
Soooo what should I do? What worked for you?

Thanks!

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    What worked for you?

The search function.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    Do you excercise? Maybe change up the diet while keeping in the 1200/day range? My biggest problem is snacking at night. I try to have healthy alternatives in the house. Today I started riding my stationary bike again. Hoping that helos! Good luck to you and don't give up!:happy:
  • jennmariepantoja
    jennmariepantoja Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    WOW! Aren't you helpful?
    I hope you get some kind of reward/gratification for that insightful information.
    :sick:
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    Do you excercise? Maybe change up the diet while keeping in the 1200/day range? My biggest problem is snacking at night. I try to have healthy alternatives in the house. Today I started riding my stationary bike again. Hoping that helos! Good luck to you and don't give up!:happy:

I run 3x a week. Good luck to you as well!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, this is all a grand science experiment. Eat for, see what happens. At first, you might see a slight weight gain on the scale or feel a bit bloated as your body adjusts to more food. Work past that. If you're gaining more than a pound a week after 4 or 5 weeks, go back down, but give it time. Get in some good strength training and some cardio and fuel your body. I bet you see the scale move, or at least notice changes in your body, in 4-6 weeks. Good luck.
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    At the end of the day, this is all a grand science experiment. Eat for, see what happens. At first, you might see a slight weight gain on the scale or feel a bit bloated as your body adjusts to more food. Work past that. If you're gaining more than a pound a week after 4 or 5 weeks, go back down, but give it time. Get in some good strength training and some cardio and fuel your body. I bet you see the scale move, or at least notice changes in your body, in 4-6 weeks. Good luck.

Thanks!
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    And for anyone wondering the same thing.. I did a search using the terms "scared to eat 1200" and some good info popped up :)
    In most cases, calories needed to be bumped up.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have been using MFP since late January and have followed the 1200 cal a day they set for me (with a few binge days and days I went below 1200). The first few weeks I was losing 3 lbs a week, then it slowed to 1.5 and now nothing.
    I also have a fitbit that I wear religiously and it also tells me how many calories I should eat (usually around 1300) but I have been following what MFP says.

Thanks!

If you are scared at eating 1250 cals, then that is irrational and you might need to seek some professional help
  • capecodder13
    capecodder13 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should recalculate your calorie requirements with your new lower weight???
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Eat your prescribed calories. If you're set at 1200 that means eat back the exercise calories.
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options

Thanks!

If you are scared at eating 1250 cals, then that is irrational and you might need to seek some professional help

It does seem silly, doesn't it! Maybe I should simmer "Scared" down to "concerned".
  • jennmariepantoja
    Options
    Eat your prescribed calories. If you're set at 1200 that means eat back the exercise calories.

I will try that - thanks!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

I will try that - thanks!

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Trust science, not your emotions. Good luck!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    You say you've been on here since late January and lost 3 pounds the first couple of weeks then 1.5 and now nothing...It's only late February, so you've been here a month and lost at least 4.5 pounds. Depending on your height and starting weight, that's a pretty significant loss. You could try increasing your calories, but I know for myself, zero loss one week and then a greater loss the following week is not at all unusual. If it has only been a week, then I'd say have some patience and keep doing what you're doing. If in a few weeks you're still at the same place, then re-evaluate. I know it's hard and we all want it to come off immediately, but remember, you didn't put it on overnight, so you're not going to lose it overnight...!!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I know its "scary" I STILL have issues with my mind trying to get involved... It works though, as strange as it is... listen to Taso and ConcreteGirl (the link) and you'll see changes :)

Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What worked for you?

I significantly increased my activity level.

and took a long-term approach. Weight loss will very signfincatly from week to week.

Find a healthy lifestyle and stick to it over a long period of time. Don;t worry about short term changes in weight. There are too many variables (such as water) affecting your weight in the short term.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Wow I think you hit a nerve with some people and their snide remarks. Anyway, try to ignore remarks like that and filter them out...I know you are new so this is good advice when combing the forums...you'll start to see a pattern with the people who give good advice, and the trolls.

As far as your issue, I'd recommend you figure out your own TDEE manually then set your goals to custom to match those figures. MFP is notorious for giving people 1200 as a goal which in most cases is just too low.

I dont know your stats (Age, weight, height) but if you took those to any decent TDEE calculator you can figure out what that is then take 20% or so off that number to find a number you should eat on a daily basis. Keep that up and you should see weight loss depending on how much you have to lose. (Always easy to lose more the more you have to lose and gets harder as you have less to lose)
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would try increasing the frequency, intensity, and length of my exercise sessions before increasing my calories.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    No reason to be scared! I know that you may think it will slow down your weight loss progress, but if you want to both lose weight and sustain it, I highly recommend upping your calories. What type of workout do you do?
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Do not fear. I've had the same lack of results on 1200, 1320, and now 1500 calories. At least I don't feel "scratch somebody's eyes out hungry" anymore, and I'm not gaining, so win-win.

P.S: I called -4 pounds in 2 months "lack of results". "minimal results" would perhaps be better wording