staying the course... even when I want to quit

innerhottie
innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been really struggling with my weight for many years. After 6 years of a "set point" around 185 (still overweight), my weight ballooned an additional 40 lbs. while my mom was being treated for cancer.

I have changed my lifestyle drastically, eat little to no processed foods, no soda, no caffeine, and a pescatarian diet (only 3 meals a week include seafood). I get an hour of cardio a day and strength training a couple of days a week.

While I have noticed changes in the way that I feel (no refux, sleeping better, blood pressure better, no hypoglycemia), the scale is not showing results.

When I stopped eating meat, I dropped 4 lbs. the first week. Then 2 came back and I lost nothing for a couple of weeks, then I dropped 3 lbs. last week and nothing this week.

I have had my thyroid checked, so I know it is not that. I just wish I understood.
Regardless, I am staying the course and doing this for my health. If I am going to be heavy, then I am going to be as kind to my body as I can.

Anyone have a similar story?

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    Have you tried playing with your calories or switching up your workouts?
  • drblythe
    drblythe Posts: 163 Member
    Hi,
    I am 2 days in to a similar program (no meat except fish, no dairy, no sugars and no caffeine) and I am finding it tough!
    I haven't been able to get any exercise in as I'm suffering slightly with the sudden lack of caffeine :(

Any tips on how to get past the first few days?

Sorry, this doesn't really answer your question though.

Blythe
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    I agree with the previous post- you should check how many calories you are eating a day. I was never really overweight, but not watching the portion sizes does add up. You don't need to be precise to a single calorie, however, if you consume a few hundred calories more than your body uses, then that's the reason you are stuck. If you do count the calories already, try lowering them by 100 for a week of two and see what happens. After that do some calorie shifting to make your body guess instead of adjusting to the calorie intake.

I hope this helps! :-)
  • innerhottie
    I'm already doing 1300 calories a day and burning about 500-700. I don't think I can dip any lower.
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    If you open your food diary to the public, I'm sure you would get some constructive feedback....
  • tutujoli
    tutujoli Posts: 104 Member
    Are you eating back any of your exercise calories? You may be stalling out your metabolism. If you're eating 1300, and working off an average of 600 of those, you're asking your body to function on 700 calories all the time.
  • innerhottie
    I thought mine was open???
    <---techno challenged.
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    I thought mine was open???
    <---techno challenged.

LOL! go to: My Home > Settings > Diary settings > Public
  • tdh302
    tdh302 Posts: 57 Member
    Your quote:
    "Regardless, I am staying the course and doing this for my health. If I am going to be heavy, then I am going to be as kind to my body as I can."

According to your profile, you have a husband and a beautiful 8 year old. All the reasons in the world to keep eating healthy as that is far more motivating than any number on a scale :)
    I'll leave others to help you sort through types of foods, activities, and calories. Keep going :)
  • jurgitafit
    jurgitafit Posts: 112
    Sorry to get back to this with a delay, but I am so glad you mentioned these last facts!

No wonder you are not losing any weight. It's not only about how little we consume to lose. It's also about how MUCH. The lower is not always BETTER. If you consume only 1300 and exercising so hard, you are actually under eating. Your body is holding on to the last energy it has. Have you heard of the phenomenon when your body starts storing the fat thinking it's famine? So, this possibly is IT.

Since we have a lifetime to figure out what works for each of us (because everyone is different), you may want to try:

1. Upping the calories by 100 for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

2. If you are eating wrong foods, this can mess up your metabolism. Many people have allergies or sensitivities to certain foods and don't know about them. But one thing is for sure- if you eliminate or minimize the PASTEURIZED DIARY intake, it will certainly help you a lot. Same thing with WHEAT products and ADDED SUGARS. If you're eating lots of these products, your body may be overwhelmed.

3. Another thing-- I am not sure how precise you are with calculating the calories, but if you are very strict with 1300, your body may have adjusted to these numbers, so shift the calories from day to day to make it guess what's next.

4. Do weight training, if you're not doing it yet. This is the best way to make sure your body is burning calories more actively.

5. Apply all these things above with moderation. :-) Don't burn yourself out. :-) Day by day, step by step. :-)

If you have more questions, I will try to help you out. :-)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Try eating 1200 plus your exercise calories. It worked for me. You also need to know that your weight fluctuates a lot during the week. I was up and down the whole time. PMS, lack of sleep, and too much sodium can cause changes in your weight. The other thing you might try is adding a calcium supplement with Vitamin D added. My doc diagnosed a Vitamin D deficiency and the treatment she gave me resulted in a phenomenal weight loss within just a few weeks.
This discussion has been closed.