What do i do with this?

Options
JaceyMarieS
JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
I got a little carried away at a Mexican grocery and now find myself with something I have no idea how to cook and two other tiems where I'd appreciate new uses!

Yucca - no idea why I purchased it and no idea what to do with it

Chayote - I've used this once before as part of a stir-fry type meal. I thought it was good, but my husband is less adventurous, so I'm looking for new ideas

Jicama - I like eating it raw on a veggie tray or as a tortilla chip replacement dipped in salsa. I've read about jicama slaw, but haven't tried it. Any TNT recipes or new suggestions?

Replies

• LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Jicama: dip it in peanut butter or a homemade (sugar free) version of nutella, add it to salads. Love it.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love yucca!!! You can boil it and mash it like potatoes (take out the spiny center part!) and serve it with some sort of stew/saucy dish. Or you can fry it mmmmm fried yucca! :love:
  • kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I love Yucca! My husband is Cuban and Yucca is served at almost every family dinner. We mostly eat it boiled and seasoned with garlic.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Jicama / Green Apple salad .... kind of like coleslaw

Shredded napa cabbage, jicama - peeled and shredded, Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and shredded
    Shredded carrots, shredded pear
    Dressing:
    1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 tablespoons orange juice
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    sea salt and pepper to taste
  • leisuregranny
    leisuregranny Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Down here is south Louisiana, chayote is called aligator pear (no earthly clue why), or by the French term mirliton. It can be used in the same way you would use yellow squash or zuchinni. I like to make a casserole with shrimp, onions and other seasonings, and a little seasoned bread crumbs. I make my own with 40 calorie bread. You can add a little low fat cheese to it also.

The only way I've used jicama so far is to make chips by thinly slicing and baking until crisp. I've never tried yucca yet.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I got a little carried away at a Mexican grocery and now find myself with something I have no idea how to cook and two other tiems where I'd appreciate new uses!

Yucca - no idea why I purchased it and no idea what to do with it

Chayote - I've used this once before as part of a stir-fry type meal. I thought it was good, but my husband is less adventurous, so I'm looking for new ideas

Jicama - I like eating it raw on a veggie tray or as a tortilla chip replacement dipped in salsa. I've read about jicama slaw, but haven't tried it. Any TNT recipes or new suggestions?

I LOVE Yucca! I used to eat what my culture calls Vianda. Just peel it like a potatos, cut it into 1 inch circles, boil for 10 minutes. It will be harder than a potato. Put extra virgin olive oil on it, and salt if you like. We used to put other vegetables in that pot. It's great with avocado and cod. Of course, I can't eat it anymore because it's a root that is very carb-heavy and I would imagine that it would really affect my blood sugar. But, I absolutely adore it. It can also be baked in a casserole.. there really are so many recipes with it that are quite delicious. The one above is the more basic one. They are just amazing. Enjoy!
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Jicama is great diced into soups, stews or salads, or sliced and baked into chips.
  • sraffel
    sraffel Posts: 66 Member
    Options

You can prepare chayote kind of like you would potatoes! Peel them, scrape the pit out, chop them up, then lightly season & roast them. They can also be boiled. I imagine (but have not tried to confirm) that they would be a nice replacement for potatoes in a vegetable soup.

Just don't try to roast them with the skin on. I once tried to hollow them out and stuff them like I would zucchini or butternut squash. Didn't work! The flesh is much firmer, and the skin stuck to the baking sheet before the inside cooked... Failed experiment.
  • JaceyMarieS
    Options

You can prepare chayote kind of like you would potatoes! Peel them, scrape the pit out, chop them up, then lightly season & roast them. They can also be boiled. I imagine (but have not tried to confirm) that they would be a nice replacement for potatoes in a vegetable soup.

Just don't try to roast them with the skin on. I once tried to hollow them out and stuff them like I would zucchini or butternut squash. Didn't work! The flesh is much firmer, and the skin stuck to the baking sheet before the inside cooked... Failed experiment.

I am SO glad you mentioned this. Since i read above that they were like zucchini, I was going to stuff and bake with the chorizo I also purchased! that woud have been a serious waste, so I'll try shredding and making a mexican "lasagna" instead
  • JaceyMarieS
    Options

I LOVE Yucca! I used to eat what my culture calls Vianda. Just peel it like a potatos, cut it into 1 inch circles, boil for 10 minutes. It will be harder than a potato. Put extra virgin olive oil on it, and salt if you like. We used to put other vegetables in that pot. It's great with avocado and cod. Of course, I can't eat it anymore because it's a root that is very carb-heavy and I would imagine that it would really affect my blood sugar.

Yeah, now I'm wishing I had looked at the nutritional info before purchase. I was hoping it would have a profile similar to jicama, which does NOT affect my BG's. Yucca certainly LOOKED like it had a lot of fiber, so to find out that 1 oz has 11 carbs and only 1 g fiber was disappointing. I sliced it, boiled it briefly and will roast in the oven to make yucca fries. Then I'll be testing, testing, testing and hoping that I can make it an addition to my meals

ETA - Yucca fries were not a success because I only boiled for 5 minutes. If I had actually looked at instructions BEFORE I decide to wing it, I would have boiled until tender (about 15 minutes) The taste was there (delicious!) but mine were hard and crunchy. Didn't affect my blood sugar, but I highly doubt I ate enough for a true test.

The good news is that I found a recipe for Bolinhos de Chorizos (yucca fritters with sausage). If I ever get my hands on another yucca, I'll be giving that a whirl.

Chayote will have to wait for later in the week - I don't like to double down on dinner failures ;-P