Help with HRM

Options
I have two issues. The first: I just got a POLAR FT4 and the first day it quit receiving my heart rate (like 7 times in an hour). At first I thought maybe the chest strap was wrong/not wet etc. But then I realized that its the watch because if I stop it and restart -- tada, there's my heart rate. It got better today -- only 3 times during my workout. Anyone else have that when they started and did it get better or do I need to return it?

Second. Today it stayed on for a full 19 minutes -- I was doing the 30 day shred. I'm about 255 in weight and had my heart rate in the zone for 13 of the 19 minutes. It told me I had burned 105 calories. Does that seem right? I've been told someone that weighed about 180 burned 250 calories during the 20 minutes of the video. While I couldn't do the cardio as fast as the video does, I was moving the whole time and kept my heart rate up. My average heart rate was 124...max 158. I'm 40 years old.

Replies

• ChristineH1001
    Options
    Why do you think that your watch is turning off? In any event the calorie burn may be right. It depends on the intensity, how fit your heart is etc.....you seem to be at the low end of you zone for the majority of the workout so I would imagine that your need to boost up the intensity. You may want to be closer to your high end of your zone. I find that I use my HRM to maintain my HR in my zone. I do not rely on the calories. Hang in there!!
  • ChristineH1001
    Options
    BTW I think that your strap may be the culprit. put some water underneath the sensor to keep the area moist and move it to the left slightly toward the heart. :smile:
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I just did an hour zumba class. While I had the strap wet every time I've used it, I did move it to the left a bit more...stayed working the whole class. The HRM also showed that I averaged 150 and that equated to 496 calories, so it looks like you are right about increasing my heart rate and the strap. Appreciate it!!
  • ChristineH1001
    Options
    GREAT keep up the AWESOME work!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The strap also needs to be pretty tight to make sure the sensors stay in touch with your skin at all times. If it gaps at all it loses your heart beat.