newbie....excercise tracker??????

hi joined today...on a mission to shape up after diasterous year last year with my health led to weight gain ....determined and focused have a limited time to do it all in so gym gym gym all way...any tips much appreciated

also i did a bodypump class today 50 mins how do i calculate calories burned? I know its more strength training but bit confused with excercise tracker..

plus anyone who like to exchange tips or gossip add me x

Replies

• get a heart rate monitor!!!
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    you need a heart rate monitor for when you exercise.. and if you want to track steps/calories daily get a pedometer.. you can get one that does both but its $$$

i have a polar ft1 heart rate monitor (make sure you get one with a chest strap its more accurate).. for the pedometer i have a fitbit which has great reviews plus you can sync it to your MFP profile : ) good luck!!
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    a heart rate monitor will give you your average heart rate for the time you exercised then you can use a calculator like this...

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

to calculate calories burned based on weigh height age etc..

also it will keep you from overworking yourself during exercising by alarming you when your heart rate is too low/high..