RATS!

Options
Well, i weighed in this morning at work. I've gained 2lbs since last week. I'm dissapointed because i've worked my butt off all week. Spinning, walking, weights, and kickboxing. I at least figured i would break even.
Guess i'll just have to step it up from here.
Totally dissapointed. Guess there is always next week.

Replies

• happy_heather121
    happy_heather121 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! With all the hardcore workouts you're doing, you're gaining muscle.

Last year when I took up swimming, I was burning a ton of calories but still gained a little weight. It was from muscle for sure. Give it some time. Soon your newly gained muscle will torch the H- out of those calories!!!! :)
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I also gained 2 pounds since last week:grumble:
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Most likely you are building muscle which will turn to burn fat. You also have to make sure you're not coming in too far below your calorie requirements with exercise.....you could slow your metabolism and put yourself in starvation mode......however, personally I'm still a firm believer that your weight is 75% your diet and 25% exercise, so keep up the good work! :smile:
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    have a poop! that'll usually drop at least .5-1 pound if you're backed up -lol!!!:bigsmile:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disagree with previous comments, but you don't gain 2 lbs of muscle in one week unless you're eating caloric excess and taking some "enhancements". You are probably retaining water as your muscles repair from your workouts. Don't let 1 week get you down. It happens to just about everyone, just keep up your hard work and you'll get where you want to be.

I agree. 2 lbs of muscle in a week is really not likely. But 2 lbs of water definitely is! Don't let it bother you, weight flucuates and you're doing great!
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Sorry to disagree with previous comments, but you don't gain 2 lbs of muscle in one week unless you're eating caloric excess and taking some "enhancements". You are probably retaining water as your muscles repair from your workouts, or a myriad of other reasons (TOM as ppl here call it, hormones, etc) Don't let 1 week get you down. It happens to just about everyone, just keep up your hard work and you'll get where you want to be.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    have a poop! that'll usually drop at least .5-1 pound if you're backed up -lol!!!:bigsmile:

You made tea come up through my nose! Thank goodness it's cooled... :laugh:
  • becky123456
    becky123456 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wasn't quite thinking about the poopoo factor, but is it maybe close to your TOM?? I always gain at least a couple of pounds in water every month and then it goes away.. Just an idea.. But the poopoo comment is still very funny!
  • ticky
    ticky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support everyone! I really needed it!
    Going into it, I tried convincing myself that the number on the scale doesn't matter. What matters ishow I feel about my body, how my jeans fit, and how i feel in my swim suit this summer. :smile:
    BUT... it's still a bit dissapointing when the number goes up. I'm not going to worry. You are all so right... could be water, muscle, anything.
    One thing I know for sure is that I've been concious of what's going into my mouth, and working harder than ever at the gym. NO DOUBT- I'll reach my fitness goals.
    Thanks again!!!
  • ticky
    ticky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    P.S. I "went potty" this morning before the weigh -in!! Every little bit counts! :wink:
  • valadilene
    valadilene Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I also gained a pound this week, but I try not be get discouraged (try being the operative word) I've been in under my caloric needs everyday this week but one, and worked out vigorously (I do Kung fu five days a week for an hour), and still that extra pound. But like a few others said, I'm pretty sure its a combo of muscle mass and water weight. I'm on a treatment where I don't actually have a TOM.. but my body still thinks I do in a few ways, and likes to hold on to that water.. I can always tell, because my stomach pooches more..bleh.
  • TeriB19
    TeriB19 Posts: 33
    Options
    Why is it that we KNOW that the scale just represents a number, and it's how we FEEL in when we look in the mirror or try on a pair if jeans or a swim suit, yet when the scale says something we don't want to see, we let it get us down? I'm guilty of this and it bugs the crap out of me. I KNOW the scale is only a number, but when that number goes up instead of down, it gets ME down. It's so frustrating!!! I can say all I want that it's how the clothes fit and how I feel, but when that damn scale goes up, it really gets me down.