Too much sodium!

Options
2»

Replies

• mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You could try Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, or similar entrees. Also try low sodium tuna in the pouch over salad with a balsalmic vinegrette dressing. I love soups but unless they taste like bathwater they are killers in the sodium department, (even the "lower" sodium ones). I also have found a low sodium peanut butter, (65 mg/2 tbsp), that I make into a snack consisting of 1 tbsp of peanut butter, 2 tbsp of apple butter and a slice of Nature's Own Double Fiber whole wheat bread. All of this for 175 calories and 158 mg of sodium.

This is a program of choices. I have found over my short time here that I was addicted to the sodium and not the turkey, soup or whatever.
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree the healthyiest option is to cook ahead and slice the meat yourself. Remember you can always freeze any extra, it may be time consuming at the time but in the long run it will be healthier and save you $$. For freezing those vacume packs are the best but you can use heavy foil along w/a good freezer bag, just don't forget to label.

For your sodium complaint.... anything proccessed and packaged is going to be high in sodium so go as fresh as possible. Here is a good book which despite the title also talks about sodium too.... "The Calcium Lie" By Dr. Robert Thompson.

We do need sodium but it is better to have a natural salt, like Sea Salt as it has not been processed and has other vital minerals (80+) we need. I no longer use reg. table salt that has been processed stripped then have iodine re-added... does not make sense! They call this unrefined salt. I only use Sea Salt now. There have been many studies done that support the use of sea salt and advice throwing out the table salt.

I try to avoid the packaged meat overall, but if I really need to due to time, I look for the ones that have been less processed & have less perservatives, like hormel has it's 100% natural choice. It's just a matter of reading labels.

Good Luck!
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you have a Giant Eagle store where you live but i get 'plainville no salt added turkey breast" in the deli there it is $12.00 a lb but "its my health" so ill spend my money on what i want :) Love the idea of doing a fresh turkey up and slicing yourself. You can freeze it to.

dang man 12 a lb? I think a stripper is cheaper per LB

Literally LOLed! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • titi4j
    titi4j Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have a Costco in your area, they have Kirkland Signature brand turkey breast lunch meat that is low in sodium and has no nitrates/nitrites (cancer causing chemicals). Only the Kirkland Signature brand, not the others they carry.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cook your own suggestion. I cook chicken breast on the outdoor grill or indoors on the George Foreman grill. You can season them how you like for a lot less sodium impact. Also, you can buy turkey cutlets that you can grill as well, both options are not only less expensive than buying processed lunch meat, but also healthier.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    It definately pays to read labels. I wanted sliced deli ham for achange of pace for lunch and we try to keep very low sodium. Oscar Meyer has a "low-sodium" deli ham for 500mg per serving. The Albertson's "Essential Everyday" sliced deli ham has 360mg per serving.
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I find it very tough to eat any kind of sandwiches if I'm trying to keep my sodium low due to the high amount of sodium in pretty much all bread. For example, it's basically impossible to get a 6" sandwich from Subway that comes with less than 1000mg of sodium regardless of what bread and meat you choose. Subway salads even have a lot of sodium due to the meat added.

So, I've started going with other options (which was tough because I LOVE sandwiches). It is tough though because it seems as though every food option besides bringing your own homemade lunch to work contains a lot of sodium. Lately I've been going to Whole Foods Market and getting their freshly prepared hot meals (which you can scan into MFP using the iPhone app) and getting a fresh salad and/or freshly prepared yogurt as a side.

One thing's for sure, finding low sodium lunch options while at work is HARD. You'll probably have to search around you to find something available and low sodium...but it's not easy. Like others have said, the other option is to bring your lunch from home.
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    A Crockpot is Awesome to have in your kitchen. I bought a whole Turkey Breast and did it in the Crockpot, then put each serving in plastic containers and then in the freezer. So nice when you've had a tough day at work to come home and pop it in the microwave for a darn good homemade meal......YUM!!

I don't use regular salt when cooking / baking anything. I'm totally into Mrs. Dash - so many flavors to choose from. The only time I have sodium is when I eat pre-made food, such as meatless burgers and such.

Good luck and happy shopping for low sodium foods! :smile:
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    As other users have stated, check the labels. I think just about every major brand, and some store ones, have low sodium options. There is even low sodium cheese too.