Can I do a heavy lifting program at home instead of a gym?

Options

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into P90X?

Question about heavy lifting and first reply is P90X. :noway:

Of course you can do heavy lifting at home. You will need enough weight to make lifts in the 5-8 rep range a challenge. Ideally you will want a power rack, Oly bar, bench, plates.

Adjustable dumbbells are a great place to start, and super compact, especially compared to the power rack setup.
  • Kelbelle30
    Kelbelle30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi
    YES! But you need some motivation!
    I searched for basic arm toning videos and started there with 1kg weights.
    Once that got easy, I bought myself a kit of screw on weights, I now lift 5kg biceps and 3kg triceps.
    I make myself do it every other day.
    The best motivation is the muscle tone in the backs of my arms!

With this in mind, I have recently started doing aerobics via an online video too.

But you must keep it up - I set an alarm each day and do it in front of the telly!
    KM
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting off with Chalean Extreme, it's very easy to follow this program and you'll be very pleased with the results. The weights you currently have will do for this.

ETA: the workouts last 30-40mins, so not too long. I believe P90X goes on for over an hour.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm just gonna leave this here....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

And this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

Both women who lifted heavy, saw MAJOR recomposition and still ate crap on occasion. Those two are my biggest inspirations for beginning heavy lifting.

Both those woman are amazing. :love:

I'll add mine on the pile, too. I was "lifting heavy" for a year at the gym. This is when I quit and started lifting with free weights at home. I wasn't following any real plan yet, and started Stronglifts 5x5 after this post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap

I don't have a spotter. I just make stop before I fail if I think I'm going to fail. I might be able to lift a little heavier if I had the safety net of a spotter, but since I'm not looking to become the world's strongest woman, that's ok with me.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/844040-raspberry-ketones-for-the-rest-of-us

And this...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

Both women who lifted heavy, saw MAJOR recomposition and still ate crap on occasion. Those two are my biggest inspirations for beginning heavy lifting.

I'll add mine on the pile, too. I was "lifting heavy" for a year at the gym. This is when I quit and started lifting with free weights at home. I wasn't following any real plan yet, and started Stronglifts 5x5 after this post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap

Three of the best posts on MFP :heart:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The idea behind heavy lifting is to train primarily for functional strength gains, not so much for bodily changes. .

Well, then maybe this isn't what I want. I want to change my body mass and drop body fat. That is my main goal right now. I have about 30lbs to lose and want to drop body fat more than anything.

You will accomplish that with a heavy lifting program provided your diet is straight. What separates heavy lifting programs from other styles of exercise are mainly the strength gains. You'll end up looking how you want to regardless, if your diet is straight and you're doing high intensity exercise of any kind. The difference is that if you do it this route you'll be able to get there with only 3 days a week of exercise and being a lot stronger in the end.

That being said even I believe there are maybe better ways of going about it. But I'm a very outside the box thinker.

Just wanted to echo this...your body comp will change lifting heavy and with a proper diet and you'll have the functional strength to go along with it...it's just not the focus like it is in body building. People who lift heavy and follow a proper diet have very good physiques...just not body building physiques.
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options
    To future answerers: The OP asked about heavy lifting programs. Heavy lifting is more than just picking heavy things up and putting them down. Heavy lifting programs are powerlifting-inspired lifting regimens that revolve entirely around compound exercises. There is no isolation training and you don't work in splits (meaning work different muscles on different days). You train full body every workout for low reps of high weight (3-5 reps). The idea behind heavy lifting is to train primarily for functional strength gains, not so much for bodily changes. The changes you want to see in your body will happen as a result of the diet you observe while undergoing this training regimen.

Please avoid responding with DVD workouts because all you're accomplishing by responding to a question about the above information with (place DVD workout here) is showing you don't know enough to be advising people on these matters.

Isn't it upto the OP what replies she wants to go with?

We don't know enough to be advising people? Lol it's a public forum so whoever wants to reply will do so.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting workouts require significantly higher amounts of weight and use of a squat rack and a bench. If you don't have these things you simply can not do it out of your home. You can do workouts using weights, but they are not orthodox heavy lifting programs.

Edit: The people who recommended P90X above have no idea what a heavy lifting program is and only know about DVD workouts. Ignore them. No offense to them, but they're stepping way outside of their area of knowledge to address a heavy lifting question.
    Wrong. All lifts can be modified to dumbbells. No squat rack required. I know, because I do SL 5x5s using Olympic dumbbells.

Agreed about P90X, though. That's cardio, not heavy lifting.

The creator of 5X5 plainly says that dumbbells are inefficient for his program and that you will eventually be limited by your grip of being able to hold enough weight.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options

And this...

Three of the best posts on MFP :heart:

Agreed! When these ladies post, I pay attention.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Well since she is trying to do something at home and not in a gym thats why I suggest pump and other suggest p90 x because she can start it out at home. If she get into lifting like you are suggesting she needs to be in a gym with someone to spot her Mr no it all.

She asked about heavy lifting, not P90X which is nowhere even remotely close to heavy lifting. BTW, know is spelled K N O W, not N O.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

We don't know enough to be advising people? Lol it's a public forum so whoever wants to reply will do so.

Her topic title is about heavy lifting. I'd say that's what she wants.

If I had a topic titled, "What's a good pizza topping?" I wouldn't be interested in salad dressings. :wink:

Caveat: Unless we're talking about dipping pizza crust in Ranch dressing.
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options

Her topic title is about heavy lifting. I'd say that's what she wants.

If I had a topic titled, "What's a good pizza topping?" I wouldn't be interested in salad dressings. :wink:

Caveat: Unless we're talking about dipping pizza crust in Ranch dressing.

For me Chalean Extreme was a good weights program to follow, I'm a newbie to weights and can't lift that much yet. It's a suggestion for OP, whether she chooses to follow it or not.

Now if I suggested Zumba, I could see your point lol!! :flowerforyou:
  • moosegt35
    Options
    Also... I'm not aware of any actual HEAVY lifting programs that come on DVD.

Beachbody has brought out a programme called Body Beast - it is HEAVY lifting - they have two versions - a lighter and a real heavy one......

btw - I am NOT a beachbody coach - but know a few people doing the programme and loving it :-)

Heavy Lifting really has nothing to do with how much the weight you are using weighs. If your max 5X5 bench press is 500 pounds then doing 5 sets of 5 with 500 pounds is "heavy" lifting for you. Grabbing 250 and doing 48 reps would not be even though 250 is heavy. You could also be doing a "heavy lifting" program and only using 80 pounds. Any DVD workout is NOT a heavy lifting program.
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options

Beachbody has brought out a programme called Body Beast - it is HEAVY lifting - they have two versions - a lighter and a real heavy one......

btw - I am NOT a beachbody coach - but know a few people doing the programme and loving it :-)

Heavy Lifting really has nothing to do with how much the weight you are using weighs. If your max 5X5 bench press is 500 pounds then doing 5 sets of 5 with 500 pounds is "heavy" lifting for you. Grabbing 250 and doing 48 reps would not be even though 250 is heavy. You could also be doing a "heavy lifting" program and only using 80 pounds. Any DVD workout is NOT a heavy lifting program.

Why can't a dvd program be for heavy lifting?

I'm not being awkward I just want to understand what you're saying.
  • moosegt35
    Options
    To future answerers: The OP asked about heavy lifting programs. Heavy lifting is more than just picking heavy things up and putting them down. Heavy lifting programs are powerlifting-inspired lifting regimens that revolve entirely around compound exercises. There is no isolation training and you don't work in splits (meaning work different muscles on different days). You train full body every workout for low reps of high weight (3-5 reps). The idea behind heavy lifting is to train primarily for functional strength gains, not so much for bodily changes. The changes you want to see in your body will happen as a result of the diet you observe while undergoing this training regimen.

Please avoid responding with DVD workouts because all you're accomplishing by responding to a question about the above information with (place DVD workout here) is showing you don't know enough to be advising people on these matters.

The problem is that you don't know what a "heavy lifting" program is or means.
  • moosegt35
    Options

That just isn't what they are for. Most DVDs are a circuit, cardio type workout using weights and isolation. Heavy lifting is low rep, as much weight as you can do, compound lifts.
  • skinnyinnotime
    Options

That just isn't what they are for. Most DVDs are a circuit, cardio type workout using weights and isolation. Heavy lifting is low rep, as much weight as you can do, compound lifts.

OK, so I've been doing Chalean Extreme and only do the weights workouts, I lift as much as I can....but this isn't heavy because I'm following a dvd program?

But if I went to the gym to lift the same weights it's heavy lifting?

I don't understand what you're saying, sorry.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options

It would be the most boring DVD since I had to watch my brother's wedding video. :wink:

"Ok. Bench press. Lift one, two, three, four, five. Now rest. (Cue elevator music for a minute or two.) Now, same thing. One, two, three, four, five and rest. (More elevator music.)" Imagine 30-45 minutes of that. :yawn: It just doesn't lend itself to a dvd format.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

And this...

I don't have a spotter. I just make stop before I fail if I think I'm going to fail. I might be able to lift a little heavier if I had the safety net of a spotter, but since I'm not looking to become the world's strongest woman, that's ok with me.

Three fantastic examples of what heavy lifting can do for female body composition. :happy:
  • GonnaBFit2510
    GonnaBFit2510 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

It would be the most boring DVD since I had to watch my brother's wedding video. :wink:

"Ok. Bench press. Lift one, two, three, four, five. Now rest. (Cue elevator music for a minute or two.) Now, same thing. One, two, three, four, five and rest. (More elevator music.)" Imagine 30-45 minutes of that. :yawn: It just doesn't lend itself to a dvd format.

Oh dear that did make me giggle loving the elevator music interludes lol
    Liking the topic though as this is something I'm trying to get into and I've just ordered NROL4W just not built up the courage to join the gym yet!