Why am I not losing

Options
Based on a calorie deficit of more than 850/day, I should have lost 12 lbs. over the last 7 weeks. I've lost 6 lbs. It is so discouraging. My net calories average 1,025-1,050/day and I run a 5K on the elliptical 5-6 times/week with other, lighter exercise the other days. My protein and fiber intake are great. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. The math shouldn't be this off.

Replies

• Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    You are not eating your exercise calories back? if not then you should be as your deficit will be too large and be counter productive to your weight loss. If following MFP you should be netting at least 1200 which is the lowest amount MFP will give you.
  • lauramalott7
    Options
    I would love to help you or give you an answer but I too am in the exact situation. I've been very careful and busting my but and nothing....I've actually put on 6lbs ?!?! So if you find the answer please let me know. Good luck at least you're on a downward path with your weight, I'd take that at this moment.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Eat more calories a couple times a week and do weights (strength training) a couple times a week. Just changing it up a little always works for me.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Unless your doctor has informed you otherwise, netting 1025-1050 a day is too few calories. You are likely not losing weight before you are not eating enough.

I weigh 280 pounds, and have roughly 145 pounds to lose. I eat about 1480 a day on rest days where I do nothing. On exercise days I eat my exercise calories back. So If I burn 500 calories I eat them back.

You don't want to put your body in starvation mode first off. Not eating enough will make your body hold onto everything it can. If you drink enough water and eat enough nutrient dense foods that meet your bodies needs to just do basic functions than you will lose weight. However if you are eating below your basic functioning needs, you will lose muscle and not body fat.

My advice is to figure out what your BMR is and your TDEE. There is a thread called "In place of a road map" on the forums that explains this all in greater detail.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Too big of a calorie deficit. Try a 20% deficit.
  • george29223
    george29223 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    been there done that , best advice is dont give up and measure along with weighing you might be suprised by the tape measure
  • lyndabraczynski
    Options
    How many grams of sugars are you eating....I was watching calories and fat and exericses fiercely got no where. I have started watching sugars and this week I have lost 4 pounds....Worth a try
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You're eating too little most days. Lessen the deficit a bit.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    My net calories average 1,025-1,050/day and I run a 5K on the elliptical 5-6 times/week with other, lighter exercise the other days.

You are netting far to little bump that up to 1200 - 1300 a day and I be you will see a difference... bump that up even more and you will probably see an even bigger difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Deficit is too large and counterproductive.
  • kaa02c
    kaa02c Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough!
  • fiferize
    fiferize Posts: 141
    Options
    I agree with your first responder.
    1. accept what you get (don't be discouraged)
    2. I don't think you are getting enough calories. Sounds like your body is in starvation mode where it doesn't believe you are getting enough so it's holding on to what you have. You have to bump up your calories and it takes a regular bump not just a day or two to keep it burning. You body has to start to recognize that you are in fact getting enough to eat in order to let go of the stored fat! Best of luck to you!
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 some reading on how to figure out just how much you should be eating, hope it helps
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options

20% of what? (I'd like to know, because I'm not losing weight either, except I'm eating right around 1400 calories a day.)
  • lika50
    lika50 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

2 mistakes you're making.

1. Expectations: You can't tell your body how much to lose and by when. So let go of them. Discouragement is one of the biggest cause of failure. So don't get discouraged. Accept what you get.

2. You're not eating enough, if you don't eat enough you will stall out. So less calories isn't better.

Exactly this. ^^^^

And don't get discouraged. As the old saying goes, "This is a marathon, not a sprint." Once I started focusing on becoming healthy instead of dropping "quick" weight, the pounds started melting off. Make it a lifestyle change. Is 1000-ish calories something that you'll be able to maintain forever? Probably not. Forget the quick fix, cut yourself some slack, and enjoy the ride.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

20% of what? (I'd like to know, because I'm not losing weight either, except I'm eating right around 1400 calories a day.)

Find your TDEE, knock off 20% of it, and eat that amount.
    TDEE calc here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

More info here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • sarahszumba
    sarahszumba Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else - you aren't eating enough. Also, depending on your exercise, you may actually be trading out fat for muscle, which weighs more. I was doing a lot of cardio, following my plan and not losing, but my nutritionist said it was likely even the cardio exercises I was doing was trading fat for muscle. Also - don't measure just by the scale! How are you feeling with your routine? Are you taking measurements to track INCHES lost? I have gone months only losing 2lbs, but losing 12 inches! good luck!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Definitely go back to square one and recalculate your BMR as well as TDEE. Eating below the BMR number will always cause a stall and slow metabolism. Eating at TDEE minus 10-20% is definitely a better bet for long term weight loss and feeling satisfied.

Best!
  • Llorraine11
    Llorraine11 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I AGREE 100%
  • makieo
    makieo Posts: 16
    Options
    Not to say the exact same thing but too much or too little calories will cause the same outcome. To much calories cause a spike in insulin tell the body to store the calories and process them later. To little of calories cause the bodies blood sugar to drop causing the body to slow or stop your metabolism to again hang on to the remaining calories you have. If you feel weak and tired through out the day many times it you need more calories and your body is telling you to eat something.